• yes

Votes: 40 87.0%
  • no

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • i dunno lol

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters

forty

don't change the locks... and post up your feedin schedule too in case he shows up and the plants need some lovin.

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
First thing you do the day you rent a new place :good:

Tell your landlord (if you must) you have been robbed before and can only sleep good at night with your own provided high security lockset. Get the best one you can, money should be no object when it comes to locks. Medeco or Mul-T-Lock would be a good place to start security wise or any other well armored & internally guarded bump-proof deadbolts. :biggrin:

Give the landlord a key if you must, just not the one that fits your new lock but one that looks like it. If he/she ever tries to get in you will likely hear about it and can pretend to be clueless as to why the key won't work. Either way you should also definitely have a lock on the door leading to your grow. ;)

Nobody should have access to your apartment or house except for you!

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just like Krunchy said, I agree with him :bigeye: :biggrin:

:respect:

G

greenmatter

why would you NOT change the locks? yes i know your not suppose to, blah , blah, but your not suppose to be growin anyway. you have already made the jump, do the smart thing.

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
It is also something to make sure you bring up when signing a lease in case there are sections in the lease forbidding it. Same thing goes for notice to enter, you want as much time as you can get them to agree to just in case and get it in writing there is nothing wrong with wanting your privacy just don't explain it too much or make excuses there is no need to. Be defensive of your rights if you have to because it will set the tone for your relationship with them in the future. Let them know you don't like to be bothered.

I have found you can usually get a private landlord to let you edit them pretty easily and pretty much write your own terms in and in today's economy money talks. If the landlord is too rigid and controlling then it might not be the type of place you want to live & grow in. ;)

ijim

And don't do your grow near any appliances, breaker boxes, furnace or place that the landlord must have access to for maintenance. You can also install new locks like the ones on the doors now if they are credible. That way you don't have to be bitched at for drilling new holes in the landlord's door or jam. And it will be the landlords key that doesn't work for some reason.

echo_chamber

Keep all growing related materials in your grow room and change the locks on your grow room door only. That way the landlord can come into your home during an emergency and not run into anything suspicious.. Emergencies almost never happen.

K

kayaN0W

and dont forget boys and girls, keep that rent paid on time all the time...and the smaller the property manager the better, theyll luv u long time :) Never hear a peep outta em. and if sumthin needs to be fixed, then fix it!!!! or google it then fix it lol, dun be callin in maintenance issues. Trust me, all they care about is that check on the 1st of the month.

I

irieeeherbtree

good idea new locks for bedroom doors too lock it all up wouldnt say anything about it unless i was asked im paying for privacy right?

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You absolutely want multiple layers of security. For more than just a landlord. :good:

I leave the front doors the same. This has actually saved me when the snoopy bastard was fixing a leak in the bathroom. I only lock the grow room doors. But then, this was in a small grow with great odor control. I guess in a bigger grow, once the landlord is inside he'll smell it/hear it. Thus, locking all doors is necessary.

doublejj

Veteran
I have always changed all entrance locks on rentals. Plus I've always had "vicious" dogs, or at least dogs that would bark loud & I've told the landlord "he bites".

Once, between owning homes, I had to rent for a short time. But I grow, so finding the right place was critical. I looked steady for 2 months. When I finally found the perfect rental (full basement), they were "taking applications", DAMN! But I had to have this house, I had to move & this was the only rental that came close.
So........when I submitted my application I attached a check for 1st, last, & twice the security deposit. It worked! Sometimes you make your own 'luck'.

Change the locks!

peace
doublejj

MIway

Veteran
It is also something to make sure you bring up when signing a lease in case there are sections in the lease forbidding it. Same thing goes for notice to enter, you want as much time as you can get them to agree to just in case and get it in writing there is nothing wrong with wanting your privacy just don't explain it too much or make excuses there is no need to. Be defensive of your rights if you have to because it will set the tone for your relationship with them in the future. Let them know you don't like to be bothered.

I have found you can usually get a private landlord to let you edit them pretty easily and pretty much write your own terms in and in today's economy money talks. If the landlord is too rigid and controlling then it might not be the type of place you want to live & grow in. ;)

Wouldn't even bother mentioning it... just avoid it as most leases will state you can't change locks.

Look at it this way, if he tries to use his key, then it is either without notice or with. With notice, you should let him in at a time... no need for the key, unless things are already bad. Without notice, he's doing it illegally... he won't even bring it up, lest he reveals that he tried. And those are the ones you want a new lock for anyway, no?

gardenbug

First thing I do before even moving anything into the place. The last tenant probably has a key, the manager has a key, the owner has a key, the plumber might have kept the key last time he was there, etc.

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wouldn't even bother mentioning it... just avoid it as most leases will state you can't change locks.

Look at it this way, if he tries to use his key, then it is either without notice or with. With notice, you should let him in at a time... no need for the key, unless things are already bad. Without notice, he's doing it illegally... he won't even bring it up, lest he reveals that he tried. And those are the ones you want a new lock for anyway, no?

Hey man it's always preferable to be proactive as opposed to reactive. Last thing you want is drama with the landlord that is an easy way to get busted or evicted. :tiphat:

Honesty is always the best policy, just make sure you omit the growing pot part :biggrin:

P

popdog

Of course you change it, dum dum

Of course you change it, dum dum

This is a no- brainer. Please change the lock. The landlord should never even know. If your landlord comes around enough to notice, this is not the right landlord if you have a grow. Like stated above give them a key, that does not work. Remember that this is your home if renting it, nobody has the right to come over without notice, unless you sign this right over in your lease. If work needs to be done there, then you will be there to let them in when it is convenient for you. Best to find a landlord that has multiple rentals,out of state, elderly, or pro pot. Good luck with your quest. :wave:

Ash³

I'm not reading any of the responses here before saying this so i feel this statement is uninfluenced... They should be giving you X hours notice before entering your dwelling. This should be stipulated in the contract.

If it is in the contract, then change your locks out. Any time they announce their arrival, just leave it unlocked for them and be home. If you can't be home then maybe you do need to leave their locks in place.

Latest posts

Latest posts