What's new

Reeferman on the forefront of Heirloom Cannabis resurrection?

SpaceBros.

how is sugar and peroxide advanced tissue culture?

The first video is pretty basic but the second is much more detailed with a much greater list of components to add to the tissue culture preparation.

What have you tried so far to get those old RKS seeds to germ?

I would think to recreate an old strain/cultivar, you would need more genetic diversity than a single pair of parents. That might give you a shot of interesting genes to cross into an existing line (as it sounds like he did), but you won't be able to resurrect the old strain in all its glory. See "Founder Effect".

I though it was odd that Reef included the herm's into the gene-pool and also crossed the Panama Red line out. Looks like he's familiar with the founder effect too.

Things will never be the same for Sativas as they were in the 70's but even adding a few new Sativa genes in the limited Cannabis gene pool can only be a good thing.

wow they already have in vitro kits all over the internets....how hard is it to make the medium? The rest looks cake walk! Gonna try this on some really old cinderella seeds I made like 10 years ago that wont pop. Got some oaxacan and others too!

It looks like tissue culture is best left to the experts or at least those with some lab experience. By all means give the online kits a try but try not to put all your eggs in one basket. Also it's a good idea to thoroughly plan your project beforehand so you can guarantee the resurrection and survival of the lost lines. For the Oaxacan for example you'd obviously want to inbreed it but also you might want to have on hand other Oaxacans (like El dorado, Ace/CBG's new project, Escobars and Copalita) for out-crossing purposes.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

ozza

Veteran
Peroxide, Molasses, GA3 and heaps of other shit. I was interested in this because somehow I think it could be done. Rare Dankness was going to play with kits as well. Disney has tissue culture plants.

SpaceBros.

Peroxide, Molasses, GA3 and heaps of other shit. I was interested in this because somehow I think it could be done. Rare Dankness was going to play with kits as well. Disney has tissue culture plants.

Disney has tissue culture plants? You've got to be taking the Mickey lol Pun intended.

They have actually have a very nice facility over at Epcot and even hold the record for most tomatoes harvested off one plant in a year!

Care to share your experience with tissue culture? Did you purchase a pre-made kit or did you DIY? Backyard lab or reputable lab? Were you just trying to germ old seeds or create your own tissue culture library? Any success at all or was it a waste of time?

Thanks,

SB

ozza

Veteran
I was just trying old seeds and mucking about. I'm serious about Disney. A good one of theirs is Dragon Fruit. I imagine it has a lot to do about fine tuning chemicals and hormones which, I don't know just yet. My job is horticulture, so I may have a slight leg up on the novice, but anyone could do it if dedicated. The main problem I had was cleanliness.

SpaceBros.

I was just trying old seeds and mucking about. I'm serious about Disney. A good one of theirs is Dragon Fruit. I imagine it has a lot to do about fine tuning chemicals and hormones which, I don't know just yet. My job is horticulture, so I may have a slight leg up on the novice, but anyone could do it if dedicated. The main problem I had was cleanliness.

Thanks for sharing :)

wow they already have in vitro kits all over the internets....how hard is it to make the medium? The rest looks cake walk! Gonna try this on some really old cinderella seeds I made like 10 years ago that wont pop. Got some oaxacan and others too!

It's pretty easy to make tissue culture medium, but the key is absolute sterility. You have to have at least a glove box if not a flowhood and make sure every piece of equipment and tissue is as sterile as can be.

That's the hard part...

LostTribe

Premium user
I saw one video of japanese lab workers doing it on a lab table in fact. I think you can get the medium already to go might be more sterile.

Charles-scott

Veteran
Hi Guys sorry been ultra busy , so basically its with the PR seeds we had a very large volume of seeds and the storage conditions were almost perfect out of 3000 seeds they were able to promote growth of a few seedlings .
We had many other seeds from a different source got no growth from .
Charles