What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Red Bubba/ Ahmar Bubba

Redrum92

I'm a very lucky to be able to run one of Verdant Green's newer projects: the Ahmar! (crossed to Bubba).
https://www.icmag.com/threads/ahmar-f1-60s-panama-red-x-chefchaouen-sativa-hashplant.18125389

I was drooling over the thread so much, he figured I should have my own. I will likely only be able to run the 2-3 best females (at least for now), but VG advised me to start extra just in case, which i am already seeing the wisdom in. There is a chance i may do some pollen-chucking of my own if i can convince some friends to hold males for me.

Here they are around week 2 of life

RB day16veg - Copy.jpg

(Ahmar x Bubba)

Out of 8, 6 are incredibly healthy and vigorous. Of the 2 laggers, 1 has always been a little slow, and will likely end a runt, but not culling yet. The other 1 was poisoned by me a week ago when i accidentally gave it flower nutrient/water instead of seedling water. I am confident this one will recover, and only be slightly behind, so should have 7 to sex. Again, seeing the wisdom in starting 8 seeds even if i only want 2-3 females.

Last edited:

Redrum92

Red Bubba. About 4 weeks (30 days) above soil. Just topped and taken some of the fan leaves off of the lowers. Soon to be up-potted. Plant on the end that i slighly poisoned is recovering well. Out of 8 plants, not a single true runt. That's an amazing "ratio".

RedBubba day30veg (1) - Copy.jpg
RedBubba day30veg (2) - Copy.jpg

All very similar leaf shape/size. Some difference as far as stretchiness/height. Big differences as far as side-branching. Some of them have well-developed side branches going down 4-5 nodes, and some of the others have barely even a start of a side branch even 3-4 nodes up.

Last edited:

Redrum92

Comparison of #1 and #5, just to show the wide variety of side-branching happening. They are very similar otherwise: in terms of height, thickness, leaf shape, and leaf size.

RB1 vs RB6 day30veg - Copy.jpg

Love the #1 style morphology, as I am all about topping and getting as many colas as possible. With this style, it usually only takes 1-2 times topping and the side branches have caught up to the main ones, and it will have many more large colas. #5 style phenos usually take much longer to train/veg, kind of like the Sour Bubble crosses I grew recently, or end up with fewer colas. Not surprised, having Bubba blood. Certainly not the worst trait in the world, but I would personally always select for #1.

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yes it's useful to get easy sidebranching, and like you say bubba isn't great at it so seeing some plants like that is encouraging. topping is often the only way to get sidebranches big enough to clone for plants like #5 !
looking good
VG :tiphat:

Redrum92

yes it's useful to get easy sidebranching, and like you say bubba isn't great at it so seeing some plants like that is encouraging. topping is often the only way to get sidebranches big enough to clone for plants like #5 !
looking good

Such is the curse of liking both SCRoG-style/multi-cola training and "indica"/"afghanica"-style late-branching plants like Sour Bubble and Bubba. I knowingly do it to myself, lol. It's taught me patience, certainly. Always worth the wait :)

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yes, i know it well lol. I find that clones always branch better than the plant from seed... and lst can be a winner because you get to keep the top cola anyway - but in these circumstances i think topping is best and tells us the most about the plants. Will be ineresting to see if any like #5 'sulk' for a while before growing again... they should have some vigor.
VG

Redrum92

Day 40 veg for the Red Bubba. Just topped for the second time, so should be blowing up about 10 days from now. Some of them have some insane side-branching, that old Christmas tree look. Other differences starting to be more visible, in terms of leaf shape/size, etc. Some wider bubba looking "indica" leaf, and some more middle of the line hybrid looking leaf.

RB day39v (1) - Copy.jpg
RB day39v (2) - Copy.jpg

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
all looking good and healthy... is the one on the end in the smaller pot one of the later germination?
there looks to be 3 with strong sidbranching, 3 with medium and 2 with virtually zero... although the smallest may just be a bit behind.

Redrum92

all looking good and healthy... is the one on the end in the smaller pot one of the later germination?
there looks to be 3 with strong sidbranching, 3 with medium and 2 with virtually zero... although the smallest may just be a bit behind.

Yep, one on the end is a week younger, but was also accidentally given flowering water instead of seedling water, so it got slightly burnt/stunted early on, but is catching up well. Don't think there's a single true runt in the batch

Very interesting display of genetics, agreed! Definitely can see the range of the two very different parents.

Redrum92

Update, week 7 veg. Topped twice. About ready for another up-pot. Was hoping to sex them in these, but i think they're a little small. Will start lowering lighting hours soon in an attempt to get sex to show, maybe next week, week 8? Still have very little experience with reg seeds
RB day49v (2) - Copy.jpg

Fan leaf differences finally becoming more visible. To give you an idea/examples:

Bottom (#1) is showing more narrow leaves and much more side branching, whereas left and right (#2 and #3) are showing fatter bubba leaves. and the top (#4) somewhere in the middle.
RB day49v (1) - Copy.jpg

(Slightly droopy because i just watered)

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Coming on nicely! good pic of the leaf variation !

as for sexing, i think your plan of repot and then shortening the light cycle is a good one...
In my small cabs i very seldom see sex of plants showing 'naturally' on maturity in veg, so i tend to flip them to 12/12 soon after a repot and then maybe a week or two later when they have shown m/f i will give the girls a quick further repot after that if i have room and keep the flowering going.
the chances are that they will get bigger than you want them rather than end up smaller !

Redrum92

Coming on nicely! good pic of the leaf variation !

as for sexing, i think your plan of repot and then shortening the light cycle is a good one...
In my small cabs i very seldom see sex of plants showing 'naturally' on maturity in veg, so i tend to flip them to 12/12 soon after a repot and then maybe a week or two later when they have shown m/f i will give the girls a quick further repot after that if i have room and keep the flowering going.
the chances are that they will get bigger than you want them rather than end up smaller !
Awesome. Guess I'll have some excitement in a week or two finally finding out how many girls I'm actually working with.

And yeah, size-wise, may be a challenge. Not sure exactly how I will train them yet. Will definitely end up in big pots for flowering, based on how they're growing

Redrum92

Getting too big to easily get a pic all together, which is unfortunate for comparison purposes. Tried to use a background that would make it easy to tell relative size of plants/compare them.

Around week 9.5 of veg. I have been a little slow on up-potting, so that probably hasnt helped the veg speed. Just turned to 12/12 a few days ago, so hoping to start seeing sex in the next week or so. Really ready to cut some males and make space. As much as I hate cutting any plant, I really need the space.

RB#1 wk9.5veg - Copy.jpg
RB#2 wk9.5veg - Copy.jpg
RB#3 wk9.5veg - Copy.jpg
RB#4 wk9.5veg - Copy.jpg
RB#5 wk9.5veg - Copy.jpg
RB#6 wk9.5veg - Copy.jpg
RB#7 wk9.5veg - Copy.jpg
forgot to top #8 the slow one
RB#8 wk9.5veg - Copy.jpg

RB wk9.5veg - Copy.jpg

Time to make room...
RB wk9.5veg (2) - Copy.jpg