What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Recycling Soil

PoorDad

I'm looking for a discussion on recycling soil.

I grow indoors, in tents with soil in 3g and 7g fabric pots. The soil used to be the cheap part and I threw it out after each crop. The economy sucks. Money is tight. I'm on disability due to an incurable blood cancer. I'm looking for ways to recycle my soil to lower my costs.

My soil mix:
Ocean Forest
Happy Frog
Peat Moss
Perlite

It works great all the way through veg and into early flowering. They only get pH'd water during veg. When they do need food, I use a combination of Dyna-Gro products. Foliage Pro, Mag Pro, Bloom and Pro Tekt. I used this same regime of nutes for a lot of years, back in the day. I'm comfortable with it.

That's my soil and thats what's in it. I know that I can use it as inert media. It will hold a plant up and drain well. But it's spent. There's no nutrients in it anymore. I can use it as inert media and just add my Dyna-Gro from Day 1. I think that's gonna be more expensive than amending my soil to get me through the veg stage.

CharlesU Farley

I grow indoors, in tents with soil in 3g and 7g fabric pots. The soil used to be the cheap part and I threw it out after each crop. The economy sucks. Money is tight. I'm on disability due to an incurable blood cancer. I'm looking for ways to recycle my soil to lower my costs.

My soil mix:
Ocean Forest
Happy Frog
Peat Moss
Perlite

It works great all the way through veg and into early flowering. They only get pH'd water during veg. When they do need food, I use a combination of Dyna-Gro products. Foliage Pro, Mag Pro, Bloom and Pro Tekt. I used this same regime of nutes for a lot of years, back in the day. I'm comfortable with it.

That's my soil and thats what's in it. I know that I can use it as inert media. It will hold a plant up and drain well. But it's spent. There's no nutrients in it anymore. I can use it as inert media and just add my Dyna-Gro from Day 1. I think that's gonna be more expensive than amending my soil to get me through the veg stage.
This is a post I did about how I recycle soil:

oldmaninbc

My soil mix:
Ocean Forest
Happy Frog
Peat Moss
Perlite

I recycle my indoor cannabis soil to use outdoors for flowers and herbs and it works well for a couple of seasons. I tried it indoors once and decided against it for whatever reason, I don't remember why.

Should recycled indoor soil be sterilized?

oldmaninbc

If you had an infestation you could pour boiling water in the pot before working with it. Generally i would say no do not sterilize, you'd kill all the good shit going nom nom on organic matter that converts it into usable stuff.
When I transfer my indoor soil outside into containers for growing flowers & herbs and maybe a tomato, after a few season with a continued break down of roots the indoor soil starts to take on a different texture almost earth like.
Does that carry over to recycling indoor soil mixes the same way?

mudballs

When I transfer my indoor soil outside into containers for growing flowers & herbs and maybe a tomato, after a few season with a continued break down of roots the indoor soil starts to take on a different texture almost earth like.
Does that carry over to recycling indoor soil mixes the same way?
I wanna say no, cuz ur cycling it too fast.
Screenshot_20240419-144628_Gallery.jpg

This is my recycled pile...it won't turn into luscious black soil. It just won't have the time or ingredients to support that transformation...i just want another 3g or watever i need to be consistently the same media for the next plant..this will look the same year after year.

Latest posts

Latest posts