What's new

Recommended landrace sativa for newbie grower?

Bzkong, I'm also in Washington and find it hard to find good daytime weed at the dispensaries. Closest I've come so far is the blue dream at woodinville quality collective. I got a gram to try and it was superb so I grabbed 4 of their clones. You can feel the indica in it if you smoke just a little, but if you rip a huge milked up bong you'll be mindfucked for about 45 minutes and after that you'll have a great energetic high that ends up being hard to sleep on. I do get a little bit of a hangover, but I'm going to pull the plants a little earlier and hopefully that will go away.

I also have some ACE Malawi coming in the mail from seedsman, and I'm going to give that a go next run. It's a very strong, well yielding landrace from Africa. I don't have a smoke report though.

The reason no dispensaries have pure sativas is because dispensaries are all about that money, and sativas take much longer to flower and yield less than hybrids. Bummer, but gotta work with what you have.

I did harvest my blue dream a little earlier (about 80 percent cloudy, 20 percent clear) and the high is perfect for daytime. Very clear high, good energy, but it doesn't last a long time, I find myself smoking about a half gram a night and I'm not normally a heavy smoker I have kids and work, so can only smoke for a few hours a night. This pound and a half should last me a bit haha.

I do have 1 Malawi in late seedling /early veg that I'll be mothering soon, she is 100 percent sativa so I won't have to pull early for the high I enjoy. I can't wait!

homebrew420

readily accessible short flowering sativas are few and far between. Personally I feel there no need for a new grower to attempt to grow out and flower a landrace sativa. The list of hybrids is endless and will, without a doubt, provide more of what you are looking for with out spending 11 weeks for a maybe, and or drop pollen.
Though now that I say this I am thinking that ACE Panama might be RIGHT up your alley. ours finishes in 10 but can be harvested at 9 wit hnear zero lose in aroma, potency, wieght(ok maybe a little less). Wonderful flavor and energetic spacey happy high. Lovely really.
Another that we have, may be difficult to obtain quality at this point, is Jack Herrer. ours finishes around 10 weeks and we take at 9, production schedule, and she never lets you down. Heartracing paranoia is a very real possibility with her use.
The Durban is a great suggestion, though most likely a hybrid in CO at least. Massive lemony uplifting colas. and a breeze to grow and clone

Good luck

I'm a WA medical guy and like the sativas as well.
I tried growing landrace south African sativa but found it challenging. I got some decent smoke, but it took 16 weeks to flower and seeded itself as landrace sativas tend to do. My first attempt seeded horribly, pollinated the whole room, and rendered my sativa crop pretty much useless. I just made cookies with most of it. My second attempt was much improved, but still problematic.

So the seeds I'm picking up now, after much reading and consideration, are Bangi Haze from Ace. I believe NepJam would also be just great and I'll likely snag a pack of that too.

A strain with great pain relieving properties that I just recently harvested is Snozzberry (Alphakronik genetics). It's mostly indica, but it doesn't have the couch lock effect for me. It's a relatively clear head, just a little "loosey-goosey" but not unmanageably so, and the constant pain I feel just kinda disappears into the background. First time I smoked it, I almost started jumping on my bed. Yesterday, I vacuumed my ceilings, walls, and floors. That's a good bit of activity for me. Being able to move is a wonderful thing.

Ok just sharing my thoughts.

Last edited:

HarvestMoon303

Durban

Durban

Durban
super easy to grow and early

Can you suggest somewhere to get a fairly pure sativa Durban? I love the new, fancy stuff as much as the next person, but Durban was my first love, and I'd like to add a nice Durban to the garden (from seed, non-fem, non-auto).

Thanks!
:dance013:

Koondense

Veteran
Dutch Passion's Durban Poison is not pure and is more wld than nld. It was crossed with Skunk at some point in the past.

For true Durban I'd check Seeds Of Africa or TropicalSeedsCompany for some Durban hybrids.

HarvestMoon303

Dutch Passion's Durban Poison is not pure and is more wld than nld. It was crossed with Skunk at some point in the past.

For true Durban I'd check Seeds Of Africa or TropicalSeedsCompany for some Durban hybrids.

Thanks! Their gear looks nice (SoA). I am new to African strains, and I know that they can self-pollinate and can flower for a long time, but why are they so inexpensive? (e.g. 12 seeds for about $25-30)

I was surprised to find fem/autos in the TropicalSeedsCompany catalog. SoA says that they are wild-collected, not "bred".

Thanks again!:woohoo:

As far as Dutch Passion, I thought that they had some quality stuff, but having to find a middle-man to get them shipped to the US is a pain, and I have to wonder if some of the smaller breeders are more innovative (and interesting).

ahortator

Veteran
Recommended landrace sativa for newbie grower?

I think the longest flowering the most difficult to grow.

South African are said to be fast. But really the pure ones are long flowering strains. Or at least most of them. Most Durban or South Africans from seedbanks actually are Skunk hybrids.

It must be very difficult to get (unless you live in South Africa) but I think that landraces from Lesotho (matekoane) are fast flowering sativas. At least the withstand the cold weather and snow.

Perhaps some Northern Indian or Nepalese strains do the job for a begginer. Nanda Devi could be a good choice. It's said that at 29ºN they are harvested in October. But I can't talk as first hand.

Greetings.

S

strandloper

I was in South Africa last spring hunting for seeds. From Swaziland to the Ciskei pretty much everything is polluted with outside genetics. Lots of hazy, lemony skunk varieties and mango too. Around Durban you can still find some that tastes like Anise, I think this stuff comes from small grows. Most of the commercial herb is grown in Swazi, Lesotho and the Transkei.

There where middle eastern and south Asian influenced civilizations in southern Africa a thousand years ago (Great Zimbabwe) and most likely trade contact for thousands of years before that. The Dutch brought in slaves from Sumatra and the Philippines, craftsmen from Malaysia and exiled Muslim leaders from the spice islands of Indonesia. British rule brought in a huge population from India in the 19th century. "A report in 1916 noted that south African mine workers were encouraged to smoke because "after a smoke the native work hard and show very little fatigue." The usual mine practice was to allow three smokes resembling coffee brakes a day." This means that commercial production was in place and it was with a stabilized strain that was most likely imported.
Also in more modern times the rise of the port of Durban has brought in influence from the entire world

The herb in South Africa has been hybridized for a long time.

It's possible that DPs Durban Poison could be hybrid from the area that's predates the 1970's. Genetic testing will solve that mystery.

I feel its the best bet for a first time grower. You are most likely to have a good outcome that leads you to pursue growing in the future

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
I've grown many African strains and Swazi and Ciskei have the most obvious hashplant features. They both retain that special African quality and I can recommend them for a newbie. Bambata too but it's not as pure a landrace.

S

strandloper

I've grown many African strains and Swazi and Ciskei have the most obvious hashplant features. They both retain that special African quality and I can recommend them for a newbie. Bambata too but it's not as pure a landrace.

Ciskei from Tropical Seeds? I have been really interested in that, do you remember how long it took to flower? Would you grow it again? What where the effects like?

The herb in South Africa is amazingly good. And I agree that even though the herb is a hybridized it still retains that special African quality.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Ciskei from Tropical Seeds? I have been really interested in that, do you remember how long it took to flower? Would you grow it again? What where the effects like?

The herb in South Africa is amazingly good. And I agree that even though the herb is a hybridized it still retains that special African quality.

Yeah that's the one I'm growing. The previous time it was Bushman's Ciskei and took around 55 to 60 days. Very easy to grow and fast flowering. I last smoked it 6 years ago so I can't be too precise but it seriously freaked me out a couple of times. It's an electric smoke and as far as I can remember quite social and with interesting flavors.

S

strandloper

Yeah that's the one I'm growing. The previous time it was Bushman's Ciskei and took around 55 to 60 days. Very easy to grow and fast flowering. I last smoked it 6 years ago so I can't be too precise but it seriously freaked me out a couple of times. It's an electric smoke and as far as I can remember quite social and with interesting flavors.

Cool, I'm going to have to get my hands on some of those!
Thanks

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Goeie more strandloper

Try to get the seeds from Lesotho Quick Gold (Early Lesotho x Danish Gold) from Esbe.

picture.php

Keep on growing :)

Latest posts

Latest posts