What's new

Recommended books?

Antrim

I'll hold off on the $85 one for now. I'm sure I'll get it eventually but the four books I've ordered will keep me busy for a while. Plus I'm finding myself having to re-read most of it for the info to sink in. I'm definitely more of a hands on learner. If anybody cares I got: The Mini Farming Guide to Composting, by Brett L. Markham. The Intelligent Gardener, by Steve Solomon. Organic Marijuana, Soma Style, by Soma.

L

Luther Burbank

Absolutely certain. Jorge's books and dvds wouldn't be shit if he were Rob, and you can literally google these men and see what they look like. Cannabis Ethnobotany is the most useful of any of the books available, despite the cost. It should be #1 on anyone's list and the longer time goes on the less patience I have trying to converse with those who haven't read it. Everyone is on Rob's old dichotomy of Indica/Sativa but the man has thrown that out in favour of the much more representative Broad leaf / Narrow leaf classification.

Steve Soloman is a smart guy, but can't stop furiously masturbating to how "unique" and "special" the climate in cascadia is. I'd say enjoy his writing but god I got frustrated at him trying to shine shit and call it gold acting like the worst parts of our climate somehow made us better than the rest of the country.

Soma, ehhhh, there might be something in there. He's old and burned out and I don't even know what to think of Soma these days.

Antrim

Haha! Yeah, the Soma book was for my buddy but I'll give it a read. I did begin that Humus, Chemicals and the Soil book you recommended. It's funny how that book was revised in 1957 and talks about the same arguments that people still have today. I find so many people on different forums that get nasty and almost militant about their organic style. Or people that are ready to give a big "fuck you" to anybody that picks up a bottle of nutes. I've had to stop myself from taking on that attitude and I'm not even done with my first organic grow. I guess 60 years doesn't change much huh? If I take nothing else away from this book, it at least changes my mindset going into this project. Anybody saying they have the one and only "right" way to do it is surely the last person that actually does. People need to keep an open mind on this subject. I'll bet this hobby gets really shitty and boring the very second somebody decides they know everything and stop learning. Just my 2 cents. Great suggestions my friends. If you think of anymore please leave them. Thanks!

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Cannabis Botany" is Rob Clarke; it was his thesis paper for his botany degree. Jorge Cervantes is definitely a different guy.

I'll say

The Rhizosphere An Ecological Perspective

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/book/9780120887750

Many contributed to this book. (for those who don't wish to believe one person :) )

Michael Bonkowski, Department of Ecology, Evolution, and Organismal
Biology, Iowa State University, Bessey Hall, Ames, Iowa 50011, USA
Andrew J. Burton, Ecosystem Science Center, School of Forest Resources and
Environmental Science, Michigan Technological University, 1400 Townsend
Drive, Houghton, Ml 49931
Zee G. Cardon, Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, 75 North
Eagleville Road, U-3043, Storrs, CT 06269-3043
Weixin Cheng, Department of Environmental Studies, University of
California, Santa Cruz, CA 95064, USA
Soren Christensen, Copenhagen University, Biological Institute, Terrestrial
Ecology, O. Farimagsgade 2D, DK-1353 K0benhavn, Denmark
Kristen M. DeAngelis, Department of Plant and Microbial Biology, Koshland
Hall, University of Cahfornia, Berkeley, CA 94720
Peter C. de Ruiter, Environmental Sciences Department, Utrecht University,
PO BOX 8011, 53508 TC, Utrecht, NL
Laurie E. Drinkwater, Department of Horticulture, Plant Science Building,
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853
Ryan Fimmen, Department of Geological Sciences, Ohio State University,
Columbus, Ohio 43210
Mary K. Firestone, Division of Ecosystem Sciences, Department of
Environmental Science, Policy and Management, 147 Hilgard Hall, University
of Cahfornia, Berkeley, CA 94720
Catherine A. Gehring, Department of Biological Sciences, Northern Arizona
University, BOX 5640, Flagstaff, AZ 86011-5640
Alexander Gershenson, Department of Environmental Studies, University of
Cahfornia, Santa Cruz, CA 95064, USA
Bryan S. Griffiths, The Scottish Crop Research Institute, Invergowrie, Dundee,
DD2 5DA, Scotland, UK
Christine V. Hawkes, Section of Integrative Biology, University of Texas at
Austin, 1 University Station, C0930, Austin TX 78712
Jason Jackson, University Program in Ecology, Nicholas School of the
Environment and Earth Sciences, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708
Nancy C. Johnson, Center for Environmental Sciences and Education,
Department of Biological Sciences, Northern Arizona University, Box 5694,
Flagstaff, AZ 86011-5694
Noah J. Karberg, USDA Forest Service, North Central Research Station, 410
Maclnnes Drive, Houghton, MI 49931
John S. King, Department of Forestry and Environmental Resources, North
Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27695
Wendy M. Loya, Earth System Science and Policy, Northern Great Plains
Center for People and the Environment, University of North Dakota, Box
9011, Grand Forks, ND 58202
Kevin McCann, Department of Zoology, University of Guelph, Axelrod
Building, 274, Guelph, Ontario, Canada NIG 2W1
John C. Moore, Natural Resource Ecology Laboratory, Colorado State University,
Ft. Collins, CO 80523
Neung-Hwan Oh, School of Forestry and Environmental Sciences, Yale
University, New Haven, CT 06520
Kurt S. Pregitzer, Ecosystem Science Center, School of Forest Resources and
Environmental Science, Michigan Technological University
Daniel deB. Richter, University Program in Ecology, Nicholas School of the
Environment and Earth Sciences, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708
Sieglinde S. Snapp, Department of Crop and Soil Sciences, 440A Plant and Soil
Sciences Building, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Ml 48824-1325
Julie L. Whitbeck, Department of Biological Sciences, CRC-200, University of
New Orleans, New Orleans, LA 70148
Donald R. Zak, School of Natural Resources and Environment, Department
of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor,
Ml 48109

Antrim

I'll say

The Rhizosphere An Ecological Perspective

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/book/9780120887750

Many contributed to this book. (for those who don't wish to believe one person :) )

Holy Moly!!! I guess you can't put a price on education, but these guys sure as hell gave it a shot! Microbe, your knowledge of organics is far greater than mine will ever be. You are one of the few voices on this forum that originally drew me to ICMag. I have the upmost respect for your style and any suggestions you might give me. That being said, I think at this stage in my game $250 would be stretching my budget pretty thin. I'll more than likely get to it eventually seeing as how my thirst for knowledge is growing daily. Thanks for stopping by! Hope to converse with you in the future.

Antrim

Hahaha! I need to get my post count up there so I can go back and edit the stupid stuff I say out. I found The Rhizosphere An Ecological Perspective on Amazon for $65. It'll be in my next order. Thanks bud.

I am 20 pages into Michael astera's The Ideal Soil and I have to recommend this book almost above the others. It so far really seems to take a step back wide eyed lense approach to the whole system. Really great read so far, can't wait to finish it and implement it.

Antrim

I saw him commenting around the forum a few days ago. He was actually one of the reasons I made this thread. He sounded like he knows his stuff but he was getting pretty technical so I wasn't sure if I would be able to follow his book. Is it an easier read? Do you think a novice would be able to understand it?

I think anything you don't understand from the start. You will over time. Do I think you should wait to get it? No. Why learn things wrong. Not saying he is definitely right, but it's one of the better books I have read to date. Makes a compelling argument. I don't think it is too advance though, even for a beginner.

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
Quick thread here. Hoping to get some books recommended for a better understanding of organic growing. I try to pull as much information as I can from these forums but as the conversation gets deeper I find myself getting lost. I am new to organics but I find this subject fascinating and at times downright exciting! I've read George's Medical Grow Bible, Rev's TLO and Lowenfels' Teaming With Microbes. Planning on getting Teaming With Nutrients next but anymore suggestions would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

Not necessarily about "organic growing," but "Hemp Diseases and Pests: Management and Biological Control" is a great reference book.

HB.

Team Microbe

Veteran
This is the only cannabis related text I think worth anything. The other ones have a lot of "stoner science" and errors in my opinion.

I agree, I always tell growers to STEAR CLEAR of any books with the words cannabis/marijuana/pot in or on them. It's a marketing scheme, and 99% of these books including The Rev's book on TLO is full of ignorant statements. Half of his amendments are produced with GMO's like cottonseed meal, blood meal, ect.

I could write a half ass book this week and start making money off of it to fund my private grow but I don't because that would be stealing to me.

It all goes back to organic agricultural practices. Buyer beware.

br26

Sun Tzu's Art of War

Jack Herer's The Emperor Wears No Clothes

Sally Fallon Nourishing Tradions

Udo Erasmus Fats and Oils

Dr. Nick Begich Earth Rising The Revolution

Final Fantasy 7 Official Strategy Guide

I never see anyone mention this book

"Organic Soil Conditioning" By William R Jackson.

It is over 1,000 pages, but if there is an Apocalypse I can grow crops. :)

Just go to Acres USA, and start buying books. The list is to long to mention.

Stay away from anything that is helping you grow "weed" though. I bought a few of these type books many years ago, and they are all shit.

They are about as truthful as the Bible. :)