What's new

Recommend A Movie Thread

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
I'm sure its been mentioned but anyone who hasn't seen "the wire" series is missing out on one of the best shows ever on tv.

Boardwalk empire is pretty good too. Just past its first season though. The wire had 6 I think.

M

Mountain

I'm sure its been mentioned but anyone who hasn't seen "the wire" series is missing out on one of the best shows ever on tv.
Agreed The Wire is one of the best TV series ever. I was surprised they did not make another season and someone Hollywood 'insider' told me the possible reason why and lame. It was good enough to keep going. Mad Men is my second favorite and waiting to see if they can keep it going.

obey

Agreed The Wire is one of the best TV series ever. I was surprised they did not make another season and someone Hollywood 'insider' told me the possible reason why and lame. It was good enough to keep going. Mad Men is my second favorite and waiting to see if they can keep it going.

I agree the Wire is suuuper good I recommend it.
Boardwalk Empire is good I liked it a lot my friends... not so much
The Sopranos is a great show as well.
Oz is a cool show if male nudity doesn't bother you, like a lot of male nudity.

hmm i guess I like HBO

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran

Actually I liked why they said they wouldn't make another. He said they had a story to tell, and that every season had its own unique storyline that tied in with the others, and they felt like the story was told. They felt that making another season was redundant and would distract from what the series was about as a whole. They made one of the most amazing blocks of entertainment ever created, and they didn't want to ruin it with a final lame season made just for money and prodding from network execs.

Unfortunately I couldn't get into their next project "treme" despite living in the city and having bought weed in neighborhood of treme for years when I was younger. I actually grew up just a few neighborhoods over.

I do love boardwalk empire now though. Some of my friends as well aren't crazy about it and I don't know what they are missing. So many people have ADD these days I question many peoples attention spans.

Ramius

Veteran
Anyone who likes The Wire and The Sopranos should check out Brotherhood from HBO too, great three seasons

M

Mountain

Actually I liked why they said they wouldn't make another. He said they had a story to tell, and that every season had its own unique storyline that tied in with the others, and they felt like the story was told. They felt that making another season was redundant and would distract from what the series was about as a whole.
Not what I heard as to why they did not produce another season so we'll just speculate.

Inside Job
- documentary about the market collapse in 2008 fed by the US real estate bubble. Very well done. A lot of the info had already been out in public but tied it all together and after watching that you just have to wonder what scheme they're cooking up now and when the next collapse will come.

Tonight it's Mugabe and the White African.

WelderDan

Veteran
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Vanishing Point

Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry

Mad Max

The Road Warrior

The Warriors

The Thing

The 13th Warrior

B

BOSCO

Jaws.....such a good film

Tremors 1,2 & 3......Bert Gummer is a legend

Watership down.....you'll cry

igrowkushbitch

If anyone is feeling a shoot em up western check out "the good the bad the weird". Its a chinese western its fucking brilliant. those guys know how to do a proper shoot em up movie. Check it out its on netflix

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
Any war movie fans might wanna check this out:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091251/

"Come and see"
1985 Russian movie about nazi invasion of Russia, really violent and brutal, so not recommended for all.

5100TS2SZCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Also i would like to recommend this Finnish movie, again about WW2., this time the Ruskies are the bad guys :)

"Winter War", made in 1989
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098437/

51PKIygak-L.jpg

If you're looking for flashy battles, hero stories or romance, move along, nothing for you to see here, but if u'r looking for a hard hitting , gritty realism of war, these will do the trick much better than Private Ryan or Pearl Harbour did..

Both can be found (with english subs) @ a torrent site near you.

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
Not what I heard as to why they did not produce another season so we'll just speculate.

I heard it straight out of the horses mouth. It was an interview with the creator and cast. I learned lots about the show from it.

I didn't realize how many of those people on the show were actual criminals. That lesbian gangster was in jail for many years on some sorta homicide related charge when she was 14 or some such, and the skinny black preacher is actually "little melvin" who is the one that the characters for stringer and avon are based off of. He ran the all heroin in baltimore for many years and developed a pretty sophisticated criminal syndicate.

Watch his episode of "american gangster" if you get a chance one day. Very interesting stuff.

---My new rec on netflix streaming is "how weed won the west" which is from the same fellow as "american drug war, last white hope". It was very good. I tried to watch Cash Crop (the doc, not the shitty movie with james van der beek) and it was really slow. Even for a pothead of my caliber I couldn't sit though it.

chappie

Veteran
I just enjoyed the "Green Rush" on Netflix, its a documentary about outdoor growers in Norcal, really well made. Simple, no crappy music or MTV-style editing, just real stories of humans and plants.

Jaymer

Back-9-Guerrilla☠
Veteran
I just enjoyed the "Green Rush" on Netflix, its a documentary about outdoor growers in Norcal, really well made. Simple, no crappy music or MTV-style editing, just real stories of humans and plants.

I was going to watch this instantly until I lost someones password, Greendirtwarrior is on youtube worth a watch and kind of funny and cruel.

I wanna see The Wraith with all this talk of Charlie Sheen and then talk about Sherilyn Fenn and that hot tub uncut.

Sucker Punch is in theaters soon and the best looking since Tron

Disney animations are making a comeback started with Tangled, on to Alice In Wonderland, whats next???/ I want to see something recent.

Jaymer

Back-9-Guerrilla☠
Veteran

I was going to watch this instantly until I lost someones password, Greendirtwarrior is on youtube worth a watch and kind of funny and cruel.

I wanna see The Wraith with all this talk of Charlie Sheen and then talk about Sherilyn Fenn and that hot tub scene uncut.

Sucker Punch is in theaters soon and the best looking since Tron

Disney animations are making a comeback started with Tangled, on to Alice In Wonderland, whats next???/ I want to see something recent.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I recently dug out my Sopranos box set to watch again, each episode runs an hour or longer and of course isn't subject to the extreme censorship it suffers as run on A&E or other networks.

if you're wondering if they're worth buying rent some first.

The-Sopranos-13.jpg

M

Mountain

I heard it straight out of the horses mouth. It was an interview with the creator and cast. I learned lots about the show from it.
Cool man. I was wrong. Just got my info from peeps I know that were working in Hollywood around that time and guess they were clueless.

JamesB0ng - Mr. Limpet was the only one I remember seeing...and as for the other stuff...LOL!

Latest posts

Latest posts