What's new

Rebuilding Appion G5

IlDeuceIV

Anything wrong with running a 1/2 inch PTFE stainless braided hose with 3/8 fitting on one side and 1/4 on the other , just like the appion recovery hose? I am assuming the appion G5 has 1/4 inch male SAE or JIC fittings, as I am not a proud owner yet.

You sure can, although you may not notice too much of a difference between the 1/2" and 3/8" ID. I oversize all my suction lines, and use a heat exchanger after my pump before the storage tank.

I've also found that the the female jic 1/4" will seal on a SAE 45° 1/4" male, which is what's found on every oilless HVAC recovery pump I've every seen. 1/2" jic 37° and 1/2" sae 45° share the same threads, but I only trust that the 1/4" will seal when relying on metal to metal.

A6 Grower

Veteran
So one of my appions has all of a sudden slowed WAY down, its not blowing as much air out the oulet as the others and when you listen in the outlet out it sounds like its stuttering. What seal kit should i order? Just the piston seal kit or the whole compressor rebuild kit. For the seal kit the promax rg6000 kit is the ones with ptfe right? I bought the kit off ebay last time from the airclean guy.

flatslabs

The ebay dude jacked his prices back up last I checked (AirCleanUS) so expect to pay over 200 bucks for the repair kit. You can sometimes find them for $95 which is still over double what the retail should be. I am holding on to a few of them I got a while back for around 90 apeice.

If you aspirated oil laden solvent in your pump, you may not need new seals and just a thorough cleaning or new copper shims so definitely open it up and check it out first.

Also, the kits that I bought come with parts to rebuild either the Promax or G5 as the internals are pretty similar.

Dab Strudel

The ebay dude jacked his prices back up last I checked (AirCleanUS) so expect to pay over 200 bucks for the repair kit. You can sometimes find them for $95 which is still over double what the retail should be. I am holding on to a few of them I got a while back for around 90 apeice.

If you aspirated oil laden solvent in your pump, you may not need new seals and just a thorough cleaning or new copper shims so definitely open it up and check it out first.

Also, the kits that I bought come with parts to rebuild either the Promax or G5 as the internals are pretty similar.

Thanks for that, they don't hold any pressure at all and I see tane leaking out of 2 when in use. The other one may be jacked completely so I will tear it apart and the promax I cant vouch for its condition at all. I just noticed it slowed down alot

A6 Grower

Veteran
The promax and appion seals kits are the same right? I thought i read that somewhere but not sure. Think im going to order a new promax rg600 instead of the appion for a back up and fix this appion tomorrow hopefully

flatslabs

I hve never had to rebuild a promax yet, but I have seen the internals and they are pretty much the same thing in a little bit of a different configuration.

The repair kit for the G5 came with a few extra pieces, which I was told were for repairing the Promax, I don't know if the reverse holds true. I wan't to say that the Promax uses 2 of the "Wear Bands" whereas the Appion only uses 1

Here are the two different kits if you want to compare, the first one is the type I have used:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Appion-KTG5...271?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e93085367

http://www.centurytool.net/SK_6006_PROMAX_RG6000_Compressor_Rebuild_Kit_p/sk-6006.htm

I should probably note the first kit includes the valve plates which my kits did not and that accounts for a little of the price difference, but you probably wouldn't need them unless you have some serious piston / cylinder damage.

Chonkski

I just took my promax apart the other day to find out that century tool sold me a used model as a brand new one. Unfortunately I bought it almost a year ago so I have no proof that it wasn't me who took this thing apart and replaced the seals, and dented/scraped up all the guts in doing so.

Assholes!

Chonkski

Can't you check with the manufacturer or the history of the serial number somehow?

That's along the lines of what I asked, but they said it's been too long for them to bother looking into it. For all they know I'm just some shmuck trying to get a replacement for free..

I have a hard time caring about these things, because it seems like everything I do leads up to being screwed by some kind of salesman or customer service. If I pursue, it tends to turn into more stress than I can take right now. So I will just get over it and get a tr-21.. Not the first time I've heard of century tool sending dirty hardware.

gliders420

That's along the lines of what I asked, but they said it's been too long for them to bother looking into it. For all they know I'm just some shmuck trying to get a replacement for free..

I have a hard time caring about these things, because it seems like everything I do leads up to being screwed by some kind of salesman or customer service. If I pursue, it tends to turn into more stress than I can take right now. So I will just get over it and get a tr-21.. Not the first time I've heard of century tool sending dirty hardware.

I had my own issues with customer service today, good thing i found appion seals on trutech tools, really considering the tr21 tho, i dont here of as much bullshit happening as od with app ions

flatslabs

That kit on truetech doesn't include new valves or springs. You probably won't need the valves unless they are melted, just thought I would give you a heads up in case you do or want to do the full replacement while you have it opened up.

gliders420

My appion can't hold a vacuum, leaks maybe .5 after an hour or two... slow, but definitely a leak, over night loses about 4-6hg i can't remember the exact number...

when i do a standing pressure test, the inlet drops to 0 in about thirty minutes.... but the outlet pressure holds fine...

Ive replaced the piston seals and the o-rings....

When i have the case open and the system pressurized i can hear a leak...

I spray windex or soapy water everywhere and can't seem to find bubbles....

where do i go next?

flatslabs

Get real leak detection fluid from the hardware store, I spent countless hours with windex and soapy water looking for a leak and couldn't find anything despite hearing an obvious leak like you.

About 10 minutes with the fluid and I had her fixed up and running like a champ.

Edit: Just thought I would mention the stuff we ended up using was called Snoop by Swagelok, but the blue stuff from the hardware store should work just as well. Its thicker and forms bigger bubbles than the windex or soap solution so makes it a little easier to see the leak.

Last edited:

gliders420

Get real leak detection fluid from the hardware store, I spent countless hours with windex and soapy water looking for a leak and couldn't find anything despite hearing an obvious leak like you.

About 10 minutes with the fluid and I had her fixed up and running like a champ.

Edit: Just thought I would mention the stuff we ended up using was called Snoop by Swagelok, but the blue stuff from the hardware store should work just as well. Its thicker and forms bigger bubbles than the windex or soap solution so makes it a little easier to see the leak.

kk ill do that in the morning, where'd you find your leak was coming from?

Rickys bong

Veteran
Check the valve shafts on the front panel as well. they frequently leak.

Also, if you actually hear a leak, rotate the pump by hand (slowly) and see if the sound changes.

gliders420

how do i inject this stuff into my pump with positive pressure on the inlet side? i wish i googled it and saw that it wasn't in a can or pressurized lol

gliders420

My leaks were at a copper shim under the inlet cylinder and from the inlet valve itself.
how did you know it was your shims and not your seals?

i figured out how to pressurize it, both of my pistons leaked out the bottom...

does that mean it is my seals? or my shims?

maybe i did it wrong? i didnt clean the system of the fluid, just released pressure and opened it once i saw where the leak was coming from. there was a ton of fluid in it still lol...

edit: wait, was i not supposed to pump it into the pump at all? >_<

edit2: im looking at these pieces and i believe i understand now where the leak would be if it was the seals as opposed to the shims... Im thinking it was my shim that were leaking, it came from the bottom not the top....

Last edited:

A6 Grower

Veteran
i bet you put the shim on the wrong side, If you only have one that is. Mine only has one, and if it put it on the wrong side then it leaks.

Latest posts

Latest posts