What's new

Rebirth of a pc grow case

BC Chronic

Paging Dr.Greenthumb
Veteran
Hey Scrub..The way I want to do the 120mm scrubber is with the duct(shortened to 4 inches) holding the mesh pencil holder(which is 6 inches right now) with pantyhose covering the outside of the mesh and covering the bottom of the duct( or the open end of the mesh holder)which would give me lots of space to play with..
here are more pics
I'll just put this one out first.. It shows both pieces of the 120mm scrubber
So I want to cover the outside of the holder(and the top) then fit them both together AFTER I put in the carbon
Thats why I mentioned cutting a little off the mesh holder since it still will stick out 9 or so inches.
I figure I could cut 2 inches off the mesh holder and still have enough room for the carbon
So what I should end up with is the duct attached to the computer and the mesh holder attached to the duct with pantyhose covering the holder
Does this help explain my idea? Can anyone fill me in??
Thanks

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Yeah that looks fine. It looks like good work and a good choice with what's at hand. The thing is though, I read what you posted and it still sounds to me like you plan to fill the pencil holder up with carbon. Do you not see in my example that a great fan similar to yours will not push any air through one inch of carbon, even with more surface area than the fan? So you plan to restrict the surface area massively from the fan's size, and push through 4 inches of carbon? Sorry if I misunderstand but that's where the confusion lies at this moment. :)

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
Any feedback, good or bad, will be appreciated
One minor comment on the carbon you selected. As a long-time aquarium keeper I've learned you can buy carbon a lot cheaper than those packets made for a particular filter. Most pet shops, especially the large chains, sell loose carbon in large quantities at a much better price. And if you can't get it locally, try any on-line pet supply place. What you have will work just fine, but you can save a lot by buying it loose and/or in larger quantities. In my experience, even the cheap generic brands work just fine for odor removal.

BC Chronic

Paging Dr.Greenthumb
Veteran
Hey thanks Tony Aroma...you are so right
I live in a small town and everything I bought for this whole thing was from on-line merchants..
I guess , for one, I've never bought carbon before, and two , I wanted it NOW:yoinks:
i get that alot! Always act before I think is my problem!
Thanks alot and since youv'e written this, I checked on-line and found a great place..
Thanks bro

BC Chronic

Paging Dr.Greenthumb
Veteran
Sorry Scrub..Thanks and I'm a bonehead
i have the same small pencil holder as I am using for the 80mm fan scrubber which I am going to put inside the rather large pencil holder(like sugarbears) but i need that duct because that delta fan is 5.14 inches across either way and even a 6 inch net pot doesn't seem to be able to cover

Unless there is some way to completely seal around this gap around the fan?Then I would'nt need the duct...Any idea's??:1help:

I've been busy putting together the 80mm scrubber and I just have'nt started the bigger scrubber and now that you say all this, I guess I have'nt downloaded any pics to my thread...Ugh

I'll take another pic right now to show you..sorry..
The other mesh screen went behind this 2 ton freezer and its taken forever to move the darn thing and get the other mesh holder out:mad:

BC Chronic

Paging Dr.Greenthumb
Veteran
That other mesh holder(smaller one) was behind my freezer for days..had to get someone to help move it.
here are a few of pics but as you can see, if I don't cut a couple of inches off the bigger mesh holder, I still have lots of space
I never did plan on cramming it with carbon..That would be silly..
With pantyhose covering any opening to the fan, I could put enough to work but still let the fan do its job
I wanted to show a pic of the reflector and how shiny it is..There is not a millimeter of space up top where light can leak out
I downloaded the pics to my daughters disney ice show(UGH)by accident so thats why you see it on the pics:eek::

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :D Yes that all makes perfect sense now. I thought you had 2 pencil holders to make 2 filters.

Glad we got past that hump, lol! Cut away my friend.

BC Chronic

Paging Dr.Greenthumb
Veteran
So thats okay then? Cool
If I cut 3 inches off the big one, then I'm one step closer to getting things rolling!Whew
Just got to hook up the fan controller to the delta
You have to lend me a hand(anyone!) on when to turn it up or down..(meaning the fan controller)
I guess it may be common sense or what?If its hot outside, turn it up?etc.. Would that be right?

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Yeah me personally I would drill lots and lots of holes in the bottoms of the pencil holders to give you even more surface area. I would cut enough off so that the distance between the two pencil holder bottoms is the same gap as between the two pencil holders' sides, know what I mean? So an even layer of carbon is encapsulating the inner pencil holder. Then you will have the same principle going on as the diagram I posted earlier, and you can see what happens.

Edit: also if you slow the fan down for stealth at lights out, it's kind of disastrous to forget to turn it back up. Just run it at the level you feel comfortable at, where it won't draw attention to itself.

BC Chronic

Paging Dr.Greenthumb
Veteran
Thanks Scrub!I don't know where I'd be or what I would have set on fire if it wasn't for you.:yoinks:
I'll get them done as you have described and post pics soon.
I can't wait to get this started!
The fan controller came today and that's the last piece I need:woohoo:
You know I could have saved money buying one of those ready made pc's but it never would have been this much fun and challenging either
Once I have completed a grow, I can use this case as a mother/clone box...Would'nt that work great??
Thanks alot bud

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Haha yep, the only thing I want you to burn is the weed itself in a couple of months :) Which model fan controller did you get? And yes, your computer will come in very handy down the line.

BC Chronic

Paging Dr.Greenthumb
Veteran
Hey Scrub..Thanks for the reply...getting kind a lonely around here!
Its a Zelman 4 pin molex to 3 pin molex..I only have it hooked up to my Delta but it has extra wires if I wanted to connect it to another fan
the Altec has a built in fan control so thats okay
Checked out your grow...VERY nice
I have a 6.6litre plastic shoe box (or whatever it is) which I have covered so no light gets in. It is roughly a little over a gallon so would that be good for 1 or 2 plants? They are fems I hope.Got them from attitude.Skunk/kush..
I am going to do test run but I'm sure it will do well then with the scrubbers on to see if there is any difference in temps...plus I want to make sure there are no light leaks

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Ooh nice. The zalmans looked like quality equipment. :yes: And thanks mate, she is doing quite well indeed!

Not sure about the shoebox. I mean, people generally tend to scale up, the more they become familiar with things, lol. I would be scoping your house out for cupboards, wardrobes, or things to act as a frame for a diy tent. Frankly, I'm getting kind of sick of building cabs. If I could start this place again, I would just drape panda film, insert a fan and filter and lights, and it's done.

But sure, if you want a nano grow, it could be done, you just have to go through all the process again building filters etc. The bigger the cab is, the more weed it will grow, so for the effort of setting up one filter in a cupboard sized cab, you would grow 20 times as much than the same effort as making the shoebox.

That's how I look at it anyway :) (lazy)

BC Chronic

Paging Dr.Greenthumb
Veteran
Hey Scrub.. no, I meant to use the shoebox to grow the plants in for my pc...instead of a pot
me and my miscommunication again...sorry
For right now, the pc will do fine then I want to go just a few bigger like 2-3 square foot...
like some sort of tool cabinet..saw a cool one at a hardware store in Canada...Canadian Tire

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Hell yeah man, they have some great tool cabinets etc here but they're all multi-hundred dollars :(

I get ya now, haha. Yeah what the heck, it would make a good veg cab for the computer I think. I set up a little area like that in an 11 litre mop bucket (3 gallons I think?) and using CCFLs but CFL would be a lot easier for you :)

Oh another thing - you don't really need a carbon filter and huge wattage lights for a veg cab, so it's a lot more straightforward.

That other mesh holder(smaller one) was behind my freezer for days..had to get someone to help move it.
Actually made me lol.

I was of the understanding that it was better to pull air through a scrubber than push it. You've got some space limitations inside the case so that might be your reasoning but if I'm dead wrong I'd like to know.

BC Chronic

Paging Dr.Greenthumb
Veteran
Thanks Scrub! I mean I want to use the shoe box as a planter for my grow.. i could use a bunch of small bottles(like drbud) too..just want to know if a 1.35 gallon shoebox would be okay for 2 plants(grown right through 12/12) or something else for each plant??

Thanks gingerninja for popping in..I have been following alot of pc threads and almost all of the scrubbers are outside I assume due to space limitations..Scrub is a HUGE help and he seems to think it will do fine..just had it running on the small scrubber and airflow is really great..I'd like to know if its totally wrong but alot of threads(pc ones) use scrubbers this way...

Thanks djam! If you only knew how many times I took things out...changed things around etc..UGH... Its coming along nicely I guess...Once again ScrubNinja was instrumental in a few(alot!) of the changes ...I am maybe a litlle too nit picky wanting everything to look a certain way but thats okay
I am putting pics up later with the 2 scrubbers installed..the smaller scrubber won't be used until the regular summer heat wave hits here. It gets VERY muggy here..sort of like your home hey Scrub!!

Yeah the tool boxes are expensive so I'll go another route...Would a plastic one work with the same dimensions Scrub?
Once again thanks evryone for your help/feedback

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Ahahaha are you kidding me? Okay I thiiiink I get it now. Hahaha, that was so funny, I thought you meant, well you know what I thought. Yeah bro you can use anything plastic as a pot really. There are a few types of plastic that are worse than others, so if you are health-minded, look at the symbol stuff on the bottom. See here.

It is much better to pull, but sometimes you just gotta compromise.