DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Bling said:
heat excessive heat

^^^
wat he/she said :yes:

When temps are too high the stomata (leaf pores) close and plants cannot breath. To counter this, calyx/sepals "foxtail" to allow more surface area on flowers, which aids transpiration rate. This is always more noticeable in sativa dom. plants than indica dom. strains.

foxtailed Kachina (due to heat stress)

peace

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
After reading these answers I would say many of them can produce "extra" foxtailing. Sativa´s have that structure because of the high heat & moisture (me thinks :chin:)

Some dry OH x SK#1:

And Neville´s Haze;

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The bud to the left isJohnny Blaze showing fox-tailing.
Ah! the fox tail is authentic :biglaugh:

G

Awesome Raco...!

Some strains do it naturally, some will REALLY do it in high heat... The excess Nitrogen is an interesting point, causing it to Foxtail...

In a room where there is just a bit of castling going on, a touch of more spear-shape in normally round bud-structure strains (Indica dom), would indicate a warm room.... Summer - sheesh, super - challenging.

Just My guess.

Pix tonight of an unknown strain (mixed up genetics at inception - DOH !$#@$ ) on day 87 of flowering, almost done...! It is doing some beautiful mostly genetic-related Foxtailing. Tastes a bit common, like the best of the AMS Sativas, (You'd never see a bud like this in a Coffeeshop, unless you looked in the employees' stash) but a refined buzzzz...

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
To add:

Under-spacing also encourages fox tailing and bolting in plants - we usually find the healthiest plants are those with plenty of air about them, so they can spread out a bit and breath easily. As soon as methods of manipulation are used the phenotype (climatic influence over genotype) is altered and things cannot be as accurately judged.

Certain "haze" strains (we use the term lightly) are prone to foxtails even when grown as standards,, and when environmental conditions are considered to be 'normal' (i.e. the same as the last indica set-up). The tops of pure sativa plants always race away at the end and rarely (if ever) finish to full maturity like the rest of the plant down bottom.

Herbalistic has hit the nail on the head! Equatorial species of cannabis have evolved their structure to counter the moisture and heat associated with tropical climates/regions, which ultimately prevents mold. Sativa have a different transpiration stream, metabolism and environmental needs (especially when contrasted with indica strains which come from cold and arid environs more typically).

With sativa/inidca hybrids anything can happen. Lots of people try to squeeze what are potentially very large plants into little spaces,, at which point certain plants think "screw you" and do their own thing,,, especially when deprived of pollen.

Nature is always neutral... you just gotta turn it into a positive :wink:

erb, roots, n culture
dLeaf :joint:

Last edited:
G

whoa Jingles... Dat is a foxy tail.......

Here is one.... More pix later, I have it in 24hours of dark, then chopped tonight. Went 90 days... Mixed up the seeds...! I do not know which it is.... Closest thing it resembles in the garden is the useless Cali Kush Ogers' Kush S1's that I popped after being in storage for 2 years... I tossed away the other two moms from that 'strain'

I like this bud, quite a refined high. Typical, but excellent version of the sativa taste I associate with amsterdam sativas - Although I never saw a nug like these available to the common consumer..... Kinda like the taste 0f Sage n Sour, or Some Trainwreck versions.

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^^
That's just corning dude,, nothing to be worried about,,, the buds are fully developed,, it's just how the plant grows/reacts. One of the finest rogue haze plants we ever encountered acted much like that :yes: :canabis:

IMO foxtails are when the sepals stretch,, leaving stalked gaps,, and wispy buds. Bit like this:

[url=http://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/7253foxtail.JPG]

peace
dLeaf :joint:

Last edited:
G

Raco said:
The bud to the left isJohnny Blaze showing fox-tailing.
Ah! the fox tail is authentic :biglaugh:

T Y Raco! that picture sure helps me anyway!

fox tail and scorpians tail are 2 different things for sure!

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
SolarT said:
fox tail and scorpians tail are 2 different things for sure!

scorpian tails?? never heard that one before,, please explain more :D

peace
dLeaf ::joint

TML16

Snow Grower ~OGA~
Veteran
Great topic and hypothesis :yes:
Was an interesting read...learn somethin new everyday

:wave:

7622Pacific_Shark-2_Day_74_Flower-3.jpg

7622Pacific_Shark-2_Day_74_Flower-4.jpg

Perhaps

These were in a friends room of True Blueberry x Old School Mexican from seed, all the plants started to foxtail from about ten weeks, this one the most, this is at about twelve weeks. I am going back to the guys house when these are ready to photograph them under better light and with a tripod, it will be interesting to see if they have gone any further. His grow room is pretty good for enviromental stability.

G

Raco - the man with the OUTSTANDING pictures - and knows where to find them.
Once upon a time - (back in the days of OG), I grew some seeds from commercial brick weed - one plant had a severely floppy cola - and having never had a plant actually live till flowering, let alone survive and thrive - was a totally new experience - and I thought the plant was mutant. A wise reader taught me about a strain he called Scorpion's Tail - just like your new picture Raco!
I originally chimed in because I thought fox tails was like the floppy cola thing - but wound up back at school - again.
hey,,,,,
There was a Raco on OG as I remember,,,,,
could it be?

I'm of the idea that like hermi-ism comes in differing degrees, so can other genetic traits. Sometimes environmental triggers can initiate different responses.

What I am beginning to wonder is, genetic drift and alterations during life. I believe some call it ecto-dna and it's affect on the plants. IMO, hermi-ism seems to be a dominate trait - it shows in all the next generation plants grown from Hermie seed, fox-tailing,, I haven't had to work with nearly as frequently

Last edited:

mariman

Just a guess but isnt foxtailing simply a genetic expression.

I think I have seen Gypsy selling a "foxtail sativa" on seedbay.

Last edited:

Resin

Its definately from heat stress in my case. I just had a whole crop of diesel and OG foxtail and its never happened like this before. Major heat wave here is the only explination and I also veged longer and the colas were much closer to the light.

Latest posts

Latest posts