What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Realistic seed to harvest times for these autoflowers?

Thanks for any help with realistic seed to autoflower days outdoors, for any of these three, started indoors in western NY state, zone 5a. First frost is mid October. Need to plan accurately and want to avoid expensive grow lights after first two or three weeks, if possible.

Purple Lemonade Auto
Blueberry Auto
Green Crack Auto

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Thanks for any help with realistic seed to autoflower days outdoors, for any of these three, started indoors in western NY state, zone 5a. First frost is mid October. Need to plan accurately and want to avoid expensive grow lights after first two or three weeks, if possible.

Purple Lemonade Auto
Blueberry Auto
Green Crack Auto
Welcome friend, I would be more concerned about the last frost instead of the first frost. When is your expected last frost in May?

Maria Sanchez

Purple Lemonade Auto
Blueberry Auto
Green Crack Auto
Start them indoors and time for your last frost date (prob around May 15?)
But ideally only put them out when temps don't drop lower than 15C (59F)
So maybe start inside May 1, put them outside late May.
Then they'll prob starting flowering some time in June stretching in longest light cycle.
And finish up maybe some time July (weeks 8-13) when it is the warmest.
But in your climate can start them even in early June, and they'll finish early Aug to early Sept.
I grew autos in similar latitude and climate, starting new plants every week from early May to mid June.
Times are assuming full life cycle 8-12 weeks for most autos.
Remember to harden them off before planting outside if starting them indoors.
Slowly expose them to the sunlight and temps when the weather's nice, a couple of hours a day each time.

Welcome friend, I would be more concerned about the last frost instead of the first frost. When is your expected last frost in May?
Hello friend, that date is more important for sure, for setting out. I used wunderground.com's Personal Weather Station Dashboard's helpful History lookups for the past several years. At a location only a few miles from my place. May 25th for me is the answer. That's also when we put out tomatoes we cannot cover at night, so as to be sure and not lose them. Once we did have snowflakes on Memorial day, years ago. Thanks for good advice about setting out and hardening. I have decent lights so no need to hurry up their outdoor exposure. I'm relieved to hear your finish dates. When I look at growdiaries online I find wide variations for a strain from start to finish. Widely different growing conditions also.

Start them indoors and time for your last frost date (prob around May 15?)
But ideally only put them out when temps don't drop lower than 15C (59F)
So maybe start inside May 1, put them outside late May.
Then they'll prob starting flowering some time in June stretching in longest light cycle.
And finish up maybe some time July (weeks 8-13) when it is the warmest.
But in your climate can start them even in early June, and they'll finish early Aug to early Sept.
I grew autos in similar latitude and climate, starting new plants every week from early May to mid June.
Times are assuming full life cycle 8-12 weeks for most autos.
Remember to harden them off before planting outside if starting them indoors.
Slowly expose them to the sunlight and temps when the weather's nice, a couple of hours a day each time.
Hello Maria, thank you. Last frost date is May 25 so will add ten days earlier to your start date. I'm in no rush to get them outdoors. What has concerned me are the widely varying durations I find online for a given strain., looking a growdiaries. My big concern is having enough time for them to finish before frost. I do have good conditions here but have no other locals to ask about their experiences. We do have lots of outdoor growers here but they keep to themselves. So far the cops have not bothered smaller growers with say ten, but with the new law in effect, more than the 3 and 3 rule is no longer a misdemeanor if I understand correctly. So I'm being a true legal-deegle.

cbotany

Oh bro, Its actually kinda interesting, everything effects flowering time, soil, nutrient up take, mistakes we make, but let that not scare you off, so one of my favorite types of breeding, is for environments just like yours! Nordic breeders have spent close to 50 years perfecting strains just for conditions just like you're describing, and sometimes even worse! I find autoflowers outdoors for me take about 80-110 days, and you're in a perfect ballpark with most autos to pull them before any "frost worries" I'm gonna go off topic here but I'd look into bald monkey seeds, Derg corra collective, or outdoor seeds from seed heaven made for the northern European environment, and get something interesting with male female seeds, and cross up those plants! So your biggest concern isn't frost, its mold, deer, worms, you name it, so modern autos have very dense buds, so when a high humidity hits them you can end up with trapped water and yata yata, but don't fret! hydrogen peroxide is your friend, mix up a 1% solution and spray those fuckers lightly at any sigh of mold, this may be taboo, but you can even rinse the plants after harvest (dip them in) a 1%hydrogen peroxide solution to take off any surface mold and dirt/debris on the plants If you get to heavily of a rotted bud, cut that piece off! . You're looking at august/September for a harvest time. If you cross (which i'm hoping you do) you can have plants for years to come to play with and make something thats mold/fungus free for your environment! Cheers bud! You're gonna have fun!