What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Real OLD SCHOOL - Cherry Oil

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I remember red hash oil around 78 or 79, but was not marketed as cherry oil. Was in NYC suburbs.

The only thing I ever smoked that tasted like cherry was my dads Captain Black Cherry flavored pipe tobacco.
If you could find what ever flavor additive they put on that tobacco you would instant cherry flavor. I don’t Know if it was good to inhale but it sure tasted good.

I remember red hash oil around 78 or 79, but was not marketed as cherry oil. Was in NYC suburbs.

Yes the whole n.e. area had lot of hash round that time.
I don’t know the whole history, but I think a lot Lebanese immigrants came to the N.Y. area because of war in the country? I think they had connections to their homeland and business was open.
I know their was a lot of hash in Quebec Canada area also, but always thought it was Hell’s Angels /Afghan connection in that area.

axle2u

I don’t know the whole history, but I think a lot Lebanese immigrants came to the N.Y. area because of war in the country? I think they had connections to their homeland and business was open.
I know their was a lot of hash in Quebec Canada area also, but always thought it was Hell’s Angels /Afghan connection in that area.

ya, gold seal....was the best black hash
and no doubt about your other assumptions....

axle2u

This passage I found here:

https://anarcholoco.wordpress.com/teheran-to-the-afghan-border/

"Over many glasses of chai we learned about the different types of carpet including the mythical ‘flying carpet’, so named not because of any magical properties but because the dye used, a rich, dark orange, was supposedly derived from the cannabis plant. "

thanks for the link, i am aware of the hippy trial in my research, and the BOEL connect to it....so again i think either source material came from anywhere along the hippy trail, or possibly central/south americas -like panama red or another strain called rojuto or something like that....

one can only aquire and grow so many different strains in a year though eh....so many strains, so little time....lol

axle2u

that is about the time frame it was around here, no doubt through toronto as a major hub. now back in the day there was no "marketing" per say, it was just called cherry oil, either you bought it when the opportunity presented itself, or you went without...

and being so rare, typically like honey oil, back in the day
by the time you "heard" about it....it was already all gone

like butter hitting a hot pan....sppptft...gone

there are a few people claiming it was in NYC, the same time frame as toronto....thereby one can conclude it was a big operation
by somekind of organised and clandestine group of associates

people referred to it as cherry oil, because of red color, and cherry taste and cherry smell....the oil smelt the way it tasted when burnt
and you could even sniff a paper with raw oil on it...and smell cherry......absolute divine heaven scent,
as i recall almost 40 yrs ago

ax-bot

Loc Dog

Veteran

There was more hash than weed, 77 and 78. Was marketted as morrocan and lebaneese. The former was greener and softer. Never really sure where it came from. Think it was $1.50 bought in ounces or 1/4 pounds. Sold for $5 or $6, upto $10 for black, per gram. Popular in high school since cheaper than $10 1/4 of bud.

axle2u

There was more hash than weed, 77 and 78. Was marketted as morrocan and lebaneese. The former was greener and softer. Never really sure where it came from. Think it was $1.50 bought in ounces or 1/4 pounds. Sold for $5 or $6, upto $10 for black, per gram. Popular in high school since cheaper than $10 1/4 of bud.

AND, always smelt so sweet....
when you lit one up in a crowd of regular pot users
it literally turned heads......

and it was gold seal HA, all the way baby....
been there done that.....lol
and sometimes, you needed to be connected,
to be that privileged, in the underverse....
and things that go bump in the night...

10 bucks a gram, was reasonable
$100 a quarter.....when rare occurrence

i remember buying in at $400 oz...
but the gold seal foil was still on it....
and it was tasty as fuck....lol
sweet ass smell.....that picks up chicks...
ahaha.....totally worth the dough

-ax bot...b reasonable

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
There is a comment on GW's lair website on the D Gold red oil article. His next article describes making D-9 or D-8 THC from CBD, which produces a red oil. The comment is about some alchemy making the CBD in Lebanese hash oil red by converting the CBD into THC.

For sure the landrace stuff there had plenty of CBD, and converting it would increase that oil's brand value. Food for thought.

axle2u

There is a comment on GW's lair website on the D Gold red oil article. His next article describes making D-9 or D-8 THC from CBD, which produces a red oil. The comment is about some alchemy making the CBD in Lebanese hash oil red by converting the CBD into THC.

For sure the landrace stuff there had plenty of CBD, and converting it would increase that oil's brand value. Food for thought.

again, many thanks for your input....
and a reminder to others, your input, suggestions, ideas, questions and/or comments....all welcome here folks...

the more it gets discussed, the closer we get....lol

(i wanna try panama red next, as potential source material)
if red lebaense gets ruled out.....the jury is still out on that one

also, i been on GWs new site -love it
spent hours there already....wealth of info
and Dave Golds column is very cool too...

-axle

Last edited:

draztik

Veteran
Bodhi offers a strain named Cherry Queen (Fat Cherry Afghani x Old Mother Ghani) It may provide good source material

axle2u

PCK....pakistani chitral kush....
is another hash plant.....has red pistils, (anthocyanins)
is on the "hippy trail" -potential boel opn
and has some of CBD proprieties
with sweet notes of fruit and berries...

a landrace -mostly indica

this specific strain, is also on my radar
as a source material....

axle

axle2u

thank you , i checked it out,
and posted advice to the guy...
he thinks it might be a male...

i said, take advantage of it, and create your own hybrid,
like i did with the red lebenese last year

this year, i have 6 of my own hybrids (F1s)
going on (red lebenese X cherry bomb)

material in attempt to make cherry oil, i hope...

original cherry oil, could have been made from the red leb
jury is still out on it....lol

everything is still experiments, theories, speculation
with a dash of hope....and sprinkle of prayer....
even source material....

2 things must be calculated
source materials...
recipe

-axle

-axle

Loc Dog

Veteran

There was a book during seventies called cannabis alchemy that described isomerization or converting CBD to THC.never hear about that these days even with all the oil and other concentrates being made. There was a machine you could buy to do it. The guy tried re-introducing recently, and think he call it the ISO-3.

Found info - https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=336220

axle2u

There was a book during seventies called cannabis alchemy that described isomerization or converting CBD to THC.never hear about that these days even with all the oil and other concentrates being made. There was a machine you could buy to do it. The guy tried re-introducing recently, and think he call it the ISO-3.

Found info - https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=336220

yup,, thanks...
im well aware of it....
i plan on doing some isomezeration experiments in the future...
(refluxing extract with acid)...

ths iso2 and iso3 machines are pretty cool...but old tech

what i have now is a glass lab (at about 60%)
still aquiring equipment needed for experiments
and i bought a source turbo oil maker for about $900 Can.
love that machine, so quite, safe, discreet, no smell
and is actually a closed loop system, with vacuum
so you recover solvents used,
however you lose a certain amount of solvent during the filtration process...

it is very easy to use, counter top appliance
and you can run an app on cell ph.....absolutely love it
it only runs small batches...but so what....lol

typically i run 1 oz pure bud at a time....
makes fantastic honey oil....i prefer to use everclear 190 proof ethanol,
but im running out of it....and border is closed
you cant get that stuff in canada (except quebec and alberta)
i managed to aquire 2 bottles, 2 different times from friends
travelling to US....

any future extracts will have to be made with iso99

i got new strains, on the go...
and some new recipes to try....
but months away from these experiments for cherry oil

its gonna take me a couple more years i think
to get close to it....authentic cherry oil...
still trying to figure out potential source material
(that has to be grown-taking yrs)...
since my start of this quest,
i have taught myself how to make some damn fine extracts
but not a cherry oil...not yet

never give up...never surrender

-ax bot

Loc Dog

Veteran
I have been out of commission for almost 2 years, but plan on going the rosin press route, when I get back into it. Know it leaves 15% to 20% behind, but that can go towards cannabutter.

I spent thousands buying the lil terp parts, and lid and one pump for MKIII, but only used lil terp once, since paranoid about static turning it into a bomb. That is nice thing about rosin, and no chemical operations.

Good luck with the Isomerization.

Just moved and worried neighbor might be a cop. Goes to work at 5AM and drives new Dodge muscle car (challenger or charger).

axle2u

my 1st hybrid.....cherry bomb X red leb (F1s)

now i've already noted 2 different phenos,
due to 2 different branch structures, one plant has developed way more branching then the other two.
So i did make some clones, before they went outside, and im raising 4 clones of this 1 plant indoors in my cabinet....

these plants are being steered towards a potential source material
to make a cherry oil, -initially i would have went with pure red leb, but couldn't produce any females unfortunately....
so i took my best male, and knocked up a cherry bomb female, last year -offsite, to produce seed,

my theory is i would retain some properties of the red leb, which could have been a source material back late 70s early 80s
and if not, i'd still have a hell of a mix goin on for some tasty bud
(red leb is a landrace hashplant) and cherry bomb has been manicured and directed season after season by the curator of stran for over 30yrs....
so the cherry bomb was a F30 something and very stable. (cherry bomb outta cali, red leb outta bekka valley)

ax-bot