What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"Real" Kali Mist

i.love.scotch

Hello,

I had Kali Mist bud circa 2012 from mail order up here in Canada that was my favourite smoke of all time.

Exotic, dark aromas of spice, pepper, leather, incense. Nothing sweet or fruity about it in any way. It is my all time favourite herb. Intense and immediate all encompassing high. Hits you like a smack in the face and your suddenly way up in the clouds.

Worst part is there was 1 seed in that batch, but I lost it in a move.

Anyway it's my mission to find these genetics and preserve them. As I have researched and I look back it seems there have been Many versions of Kali Mist and many people have a different idea of Kali Mist than what I remember but then also some people recall a similar one to me.

I've seen many Kali Mist on the market both bud and seed and many are fruity happy go lucky, mellow fun sativa, good vibes stuff. While they seem great it's not what I'm interested in at all. The Kali I remember was serious herb, very savoury and nothing light or fruity about it.

i have personally grown Y Griega from Medical Seeds (Amnesia x Kali Mist) and also Kali Mystery from Bulkseedbank. Both are decent but neither have what I'm looking for. It seems the Kali Mist in Spain is something other than the Kali I remember.

The high is nice but the aroma and flavour are sweet and kind of neutral. Whereas the Kali I remember is the loudest most in your face exotic aromas I have ever come across. (Dont think it's an issue with my grow either, I don't normally have any problem with plants being neutral or not expressing themselves)

i enquired with AKBeanBrains about his Kali Mist F4 (made from thelostoros F3) and while he mentioned some incense and spice in his genetics he also mentioned lemon and typical NLD aromas. So doesn't seem like what I'm looking for.

The Kali I remember also has a very distinct look, pale green calyxs with dark leaflets and dark red/brown pistils.

Some references I have found that seem to be the Kali Mist I am looking for are an old thread of JoeShmoe Kali Mist smoke report which I can't seem to find anymore.

And also! What has rekindled my interest just recently is I saw on @DJM instagram from a few years ago that he did a Kali Mist hunt from old Serious stock and found some phenos that sound exactly like what I'm looking for. I haven't been able to get ahold of him so not sure if those genetics still exist.

I am also aware of Western Winds, which many people reference as the "original" Kali Mist but I don't have confidence current WW stock is of anything reliable.

Any leads would be greatly appreciated!

kind regards

Last edited:

i.love.scotch

How old was the DJM stock?

Because Simon says it's been the same since 2000. And the other versions were 1995 and 1998. On the Serious website.
Not sure. The info Simon puts out is thorough and great, but it doesn't seem to line up with my Kali experience and research.

And I'm not sure which vintage of Kali Mist seedstock is the one with the traits I'm after. It could be second recipe with the indica mixed in? Not sure.

But people have referenced having Kali Mist in Amsterdam back in the '90s that sounds very similar to what I'm after and then also saying they had it later from the same coffee shops and it was not the same.

Also, while Simon seems like a very stand up guy and has provided great write ups on the
history of his strains I just don't really have faith in modern commercial seedstocks.

I put him in the same camp as Shanti at Mr. Nice. Great lore and great genetics but it seems what's current is not the same as old for some reason.

The grow reports I've seen of Kali Mist since about 2012 to current is not what I'm after I don't think (although there is the occasional report from more modern era seedstock that does line up with my memory of KM, adding to the confusion).

There is also the chance that what I'm after is simply a rare pheno that would have to be hunted out of Kali Mist seedstock of any vintage, and perhaps was just never the norm for the seedline.

I've read many grow reports of Kali Mist from Serious seeds and almost all don't look like the Kali I remember. It had a very distinct look and bud structure, you can spot it right away. Some I have seen are JoeShmoe and DJM which are both Spot on to what it should look like.

AK-47 has the same issue with Simon saying it was this and that at specific dates but then reading smoke reports and grow reports over the last two decades there's a huge array of variation in seed stock. Apparently there's versions from old seed that people say grow like clones and are almost all cherry pheno, to seedstock that produced mostly NLD types with great old sandalwood sativa plants (including Joey Weeds F2 of old stock), to seedstock that produced fruitier, baby puke indica plants. And this isn't just phenotypic variation, It seems like legit differences in the seed stock which don't really line up with the official story.

I'm not blaming any of this on Simon at all tho. Of course there's the chance some people were working with AK-48 at times and calling it AK47, or working with their own F2s etc or that people just renamed other stuff. All of these legendary strains of old that have both famous cuttings and also multiple seed iterations tend to get very muddy trying to figure them out.

Maybe the Kali Mist bud I remember wasn't even actually Kali Mist at all. It was just bud named that. But I've read enough experiences similar to mine that I'm confident it's out there

Last edited:

goingrey

Not sure. While the info Simon puts out is thorough and great, it doesn't seem to line up with my Kali experience personally.

And I'm not sure which vintage of Kali Mist seedstock is the one with the traits I'm after. It could be second recipe with the indica mixed in? Not sure.

But people have referenced having Kali Mist in Amsterdam back in the '90s that sounds very similar to what I'm after and then also saying they had it later from the same coffee shops and it was not the same.

Also, while Simon seems like a very stand up guy and has provided great write ups on the
history of his strains I just don't really have faith in modern commercial seedstocks or the stories behind them.

I put him in the same camp as Shanti at Mr. Nice. Great lore and great genetics but it seems what's current is not the same as old. The grow reports I've seen of Kali Mist since about 2012 to current is not what I'm after I don't think

I've read many many grow reports of Kali Mist from Serious seeds and I haven't seen any that look like the Kali I remember. It had a very distinct look and bud structure, you can spot it right away. The only I have seen are JoeShmoe and DJM which are both Spot on to what it should look like.
What does it look like?

i.love.scotch

What does it look like?
High contrast between pale calyxs and dark green leaflets. Similar to how a real Sour Diesel has the stark contrast of light colour bud with dark dark leaf.

*THESE PICTURES ARE NOT MINE*

credit for bud pic: @DJM on his instagram

credit for plant pic @Homebrewer (although he mentioned this F2 of his had fruitiness which he didn't find in the F1)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231018-110037.png
    Screenshot_20231018-110037.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 188
  • Screenshot_20231018-105855~2.png
    Screenshot_20231018-105855~2.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 191

i.love.scotch

I suppose I'll post the results of what I've searched through so far.

First two pictures are Kali Mystery from Bulkseedbank which I had high hopes for. I only ran two, I suppose I could run some more. First one has fat nugs, savoury buttery smell a little bit sweet, seems kinda afghan. The other one is the skinny nug it smells really weird like a musty old basement but not in the Piff way I don't think. Mixed with a bit of chlorine smell almost? And like stale pantry spices but not how you'd want a 'spiced' sativa to smell. Both are pretty decent smokes

Next 3 pics are Y Griega (Amnesia x Kali Mist). The first pic is one that is very similar to the big nug Kali Mystery, which makes me think they are using the same Kali Mist as Bulkseedbank. The other two are more amnesia types. One has that specific nutty smell the amnesia can get mixed in with ammonia and sharp lemon, nostril tingling kind of permanent marker smell. This one's prob my fave but it cures pretty brown cause it's super greasy. The other is more sweet fruit candy like. All are great smokes, just not what I'm after.

Also all this stuff is over a year old, in case your wondering why it looks kinda dark/shite 😅

Attachments

• PXL_20231018_213644454.jpg
    PXL_20231018_213644454.jpg
    934 KB · Views: 92
  • PXL_20231018_213553872.jpg
    PXL_20231018_213553872.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 93
  • PXL_20231018_213325661.jpg
    PXL_20231018_213325661.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 93
  • PXL_20231018_213424599.jpg
    PXL_20231018_213424599.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 88
  • PXL_20231018_213206727.jpg
    PXL_20231018_213206727.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 86

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Premium user
i know over decade ago that SS lost his parents from original Kali Mist, that why is not smae phenos as before...
Serious seeds have different parrents in Fem and reg version while both have the same name they are different.

dimodz

Elite StrainCloneHunter
Veteran
no as i write before he lost his parents so it be different generations before and after if P1 and P2 another as before . that have nothing to with Reg or Fem version

goingrey

i know over decade ago that SS lost his parents from original Kali Mist, that why is not smae phenos as before...
Are you saying they have changed it three times instead of two times like they say? Or do you mean in 1998 or 2000, which were over a decade ago, sure, two even. Seems like a strange lie if you mean the former...

i.love.scotch

Can we just agree it's a sh*tmix at this point?

Simon has been documented telling different histories and stories that don't line up with each other in the past.

In one of his stories he only documents one real change, when they added the Afghani and then they decided to change it back and he says it's the same as the original. Completely left out the part about the bust.

My guess is after the bust they just did what most others did and just hunted their own retail seedstock and did a remake f2 and sold it as original Kali.

By this point it's all bulk produced by 3rd parties down in Spain anyway from what I understand. People find good cuts and use those for the fem version and if there is an outstanding cut maybe it gets made the new mother of the line.

Simon did admit to doing that with the AK47 where he said they now use the popular cherry pheno female for their breedings.

Last edited:

goingrey

Can we just agree it's a sh*tmix at this point?

Simon has been documented telling different histories and stories that don't line up with each other in the past.

In one of his stories he only documents one real change, when they added the Afghani and then they decided to change it back and he says it's the same as the original. Completely left out the part about the bust.

My guess is after the bust they just did what most others did and just hunted their own retail seedstock and did a remake f2 and sold it as original Kali.

By this point it's all bulk produced down in Spain anyway from what I understand. People find good cuts and use those for the fem version and if there is an outstanding cut maybe it gets made the new mother of the line.

Simon did admit to doing that with the AK47 where he said they now use the popular cherry pheno female for their breedings.
Nah I don't think we can. The difference in stories could be a devil in the details type thing. Like, not the exact same parents but parents from the same lines without the Afghani involved. Do we even know that it was some kind of two plant cross originally and not multiple parents to begin with? Yeah there are a lot of lies in the industry but this case it just seems ridiculous... "Sure we changed it once. And yeah then another time. But a third time? No way, we would never do that!".

Outsourcing seed production is a risk for sure, I do see the latest review on their site is from someone that got a male from Kali Mist fems. Not very reassuring.

AK47 is a bit different as they don't even do regs of it anymore.

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
This is kali mist from seeds purchased in 2004, excellent production, has this flavor between church incense, orient incense (unashamedly similar to A5 and hybrids) pepper,nutmeg, fresh soil / moss, with a touch of berries ....(but not too sweet, reminded me a jar of cherries under alcohol) .

IMG_20211105_182515.jpg
IMG_20211105_181855.jpg
IMG_20211028_120331.jpg

About bulkseeds bank version, I've never tried it, but from what I understand they use famous or particular cuts to make semi fem...

i.love.scotch

This is kali mist from seeds purchased in 2004, excellent production, has this flavor between church incense, orient incense (unashamedly similar to A5 and hybrids) pepper,nutmeg, fresh soil / moss, with a touch of berries ....(but not too sweet, reminded me a jar of cherries under alcohol) .

View attachment 18906907 View attachment 18906908 View attachment 18906909
About bulkseeds bank version, I've never tried it, but from what I understand they use famous or particular cuts to make semi fem...

Thanks for the contribution! Looks awesome and I love your description of the aroma/flavour.

Did you keep a cut or do you still got any of those beans kickin around? 😉

Yeah I had high hopes for Bulkseedbank. One of their descriptions said it was a pollination from two different Kali Mist clones that were popular in Europe. I look now and most of their descriptions are just copy paste from Serious.

I will pop more.

I also have a Kali Mist x Black Domina from Ripper seeds that's just started to flower. Will report back on my findings

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
Thanks for the contribution! Looks awesome and I love your description of the aroma/flavour.

Did you keep a cut or do you still got any of those beans kickin around? 😉

Yeah I had high hopes for Bulkseedbank. One of their descriptions said it was a pollination from two different Kali Mist clones that were popular in Europe. I look now and most of their descriptions are just copy paste from Serious.

I will pop more.

I also have a Kali Mist x Black Domina from Ripper seeds that's just started to flower. Will report back on my findings
Not having Kalimist males available I had to use a Nevil haze male, I gave the seeds of this cross to a friend who has a Kalimist mother, to make a bx....
However it's not a type of high that I love, like many haze hybrids it puts you high but then makes you glide down... Great weed, powerful, but I'm a lover of sativas as well...
It reminded me (in flavor and effect) of 5hzC by Shanti, or even certain phenos by Nev.Hz (not exactly the same).
Just my opinion.

i.love.scotch

Just grew kali mist and made a shitload of seeds and hybrids... still the same plants as the ones we grew in 2007 exept these seeds were bought in 2020... was quite happy
That's wicked to hear your experience with recent stock.

Got any pics or a Smoke/grow report?

I saw someone do a grow report recently on IG and it did not look like the Kali I know. So I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on legit Serious beans

Last edited:

RobertFripp

Id still go with the AKBB Kali, as it is the real deal 90s version. Not sure if its the 98-95 version, but I seem to remember it as the 95 version.
I wouldnt mess with SS.

Ive never grown real kali mist, but smoked it. Delicious Seeds Critical Kali mist sure tasted and smelled just like her. Very nice Lanky Sativa, even with the Critical in there

Latest posts

Latest posts