What's new

real amsterdam pedigrees

Piff_cat

trying to unravel true amsterdam genetics especially concerning haze outcrosses. ive found the first outcross to the magical clone onlys held in holland produces some marvelous plants with unique morphology and chemotype profiles. now that true landrace information/pictures are available its obvious nearly all the lineages of barneys, greenhouse etc are made up completely or elaborated. but ive noticed extreme phenotypes of linalool, cool square colored stems, greasy trichomes on stems, single bladed leaves, extreme vigor are some qualities these type of crosses can produce. many start with legends like a5, c5 somas g13haze male, mexican haze. so anyone with knowledge of these breedings would be greatly appreciated.

red dragon
utopia haze
oceans 12
mako haze
hawaiian snow dr. grinspoon just to name a few. thanks

Red October

Here's a reference from reeferman on some of Barney's wares.

Thanks for all the comments and support , the lemmon thai I use is actually a pure Thai strain I received in a trade directly from Chang mai in the north of Thailand , about 20% of the plants we hermies however it was the best most Stable Thai I have seen with Pheno's finishing in 13 weeks , Barneys well that is a slimy conversation I cant say that I was not warned by guys from HT magazine .
Before I began working with Derry all his strains were just rebranded seeds from Nirvana , after the clones were taken followed by the bust that Landed 2 of my guys in Jail , new strains began coming out Violator kush = Charles kush , eight ball kush = Bubba x King , Cherry berry was just Cherry berry LOL Senior Garcia = Dr grinspoon apple pie = Acapulco gold , My g13 x haze was used not the Dutch version , Night shade = reeferman hash plant #3 , Amnesia lemon = Love potion #1 , utopia haze = Lambada , Honey bee is Nigerian x Love potion
Many of these were clones others were seeds i was sharing with one of his growers in Uctrect .
Its all history now , bottom line was he got angry because I sold product to Grey Area coffee shop that he did not have $ to buy .
Weird guy used to sit there all coked up drinking beer and tell me how fucking great he was , seriously he would say Charlie boy do you know how fucking smart I am , haha
Charles

goingrey

I'd also appreciate info on what the outdoor strains sold in the coffeeshops are; especially the purples but also the greens.

Is it still all Wernard's? This was 30-40 years ago already.

Viking is de naam van een kruising van 2 x 10.
De nummers datere van 1982.
We kweekten toen een range zaden, merendeels van Old Ed, maar er waren ook nieuwe soorten bij.
Wat 2 en 10 waren weet ik niet meer uit mijn hiifd maar ik heb het ergens nog op papier.
In 1983 is die kruising gemaakt en naar ik meen in 1984 heb ik in diverse veldjes 2x10 bekeken.
De mooiste exemplaren stonden op een veldje bij ene Klaas in de buurt van Leeuwarden. Zie foto bijgaand
Hij had diverse planten waaronder een aantal 2x10. Van het mmoiste exemplaar heb ik stekken genomen.Dat was toen nogal onzeker want stekken maken was not done in die tijd en succes niet gegarandeerd.
De plant is vij ruig en het effect tamenlijk bot, maar net als bij een vikingzwaard doet de afwerking er niet zoveel toe. Het gaat om jhet effect van de klap, vandaar de naam.

De wiet is sterk, te sterk voor mijn vrouw .bv.
Een typische mannenwiet

Als je Viking kruist met Skunk krijg je hollands Hope.
Ongeveer een kwart van die zaden levert paarse planten op, Purple power.

Van dat veldje en zelfs van de plant in kwestie heb ik nog foto's gemaakt.
Ik nam toen een soort pasfoto's van iedere soort en plant waar ik klonen van nam.
Maar ik neem aan dat je voorlopig voldoende weet?
Anders hoor ik het wel van je.

Met vriendelijke groet,
Wernard Bruining

info from Wietforum.nl

Basically he grew a bunch of seeds, crossed two of them to make Viking, crossed Viking with Skunk to make Holland's Hope and Purple Power.

Piff_cat

thanks for the link and quotes guys never known much about reefermans stock looks like i have some reading to do. its interesting that alot of these outcrosses/s1 have a very uniform cannabinoid profile resembling many haze clones
18 to 22 thc
1 to 1.5 cbg
.2 cbd/.2 cbc
and hit much harder w better effect then the 30 thc ones

djonkoman

Veteran
I'd also appreciate info on what the outdoor strains sold in the coffeeshops are; especially the purples but also the greens.

Is it still all Wernard's? This was 30-40 years ago already.

Basically he grew a bunch of seeds, crossed two of them to make Viking, crossed Viking with Skunk to make Holland's Hope and Purple Power.

any specific coffeeshop offerings you're thinking about?
I'm a dutchie, but only rarely see outdoor weed in coffeeshops. most of the standard shops don't sell any outdoor at all.
one shop I used to be a regular at when I lived in another part of the country did have some outdoor on the menu. it varied a bit by time of year if/how much outdoor they had, but most of the time they had some.

I don't remember all the outdoor they had, but I mostly bought an offering sold as durban. and with this coffeeshop, I do have decent trust in that name being right (still a big question which durban it is ofcourse). this was purple weed.
same shop also regularly had royal dane on the menu (one reason I trust the names, I knew royal dane already, but it's not a famous strain. so wouldn't make much sense naming it royal dane if it wasn't really royal dane, the name doesn't really have that hype marketing potential).

I have heard stories about a famous dutch outdoor strain called 'brabants paars' or simply 'purple', supposedly most/all dutch outdoor with purple color derives from it, what I heard about it it was a great outdoor strain, but the weed harvested from it wasn't great. so, there's a kind of anti-purple sentiment among dutchies (although I think it may be less now, but back when I started growing I remember the sentiment was always that purple was crap, everyone wanted a non-purple outdoor strain, and people selected away from purple plants. Purple weed just didn't sell well I think, but I was never really in the commercial backdoor scene.).

Viking is also still around in some circles but I don't think it's really widely grown.
I think most of the time when people are looking to grow outdoor here, they end up with auto's. outdoor is not a very big scene in the netherlands.
When I talk to non-growers at parties about my growing I still regularly have to explain that yes, it is possible to grow weed outdoor in the dutch climate. and no, outdoor isn't by definition crap, outdoor can be really good too.
I think most people around here just never smoked good outdoor. maybe a friend of theirs once grew a half-neglected plant in their garden which then was harvested too early and not dried/cured optimally, and that's their impression of all outdoor weed. One of the common compliments about my homegrown is 'it's outdoor? I wouldn't have guessed' or 'it smokes like indoor'. So I think that gives a good impression about the attitude towards outdoor weed here among smokers.

(edit: now that I read that quote, never knew it was selected near Leeuwarden! pretty cool, I was born and raised around there)
I think another person who deserves a mention when it comes to outdoor strains besides Wernard is Jan Veen, aka Dame Blanche.

I'd like to find the history on an old Amsterdam strain "Elephant" if anyone has any info please? I smoked it in Abraxas circa '02. It wasnt on the menu it was what the staff were smoking and it was the only place that had it.

never heard of it, it could very well be some not so widely available clone or so.
but knowing how the coffeeshops around here work, if you saw that name just at 1 shop, and especially this sort of name, I'd assume the name is made up by the shop. likely, the grower/distributor sold it to the shop without a name, or maybe they thought the name they got wouldn't sell, or they already had that name on the menu.
it's pretty common for coffeeshops to make up names on the spot, or even use well-known names for batches of weed of unknown strains.
For example I know of a shop which uses specific themes in their naming, like they'll have ';lente wiet' (spring weed), 'herfst wiet' (autumn weed), etc.

Last edited:

goingrey

any specific coffeeshop offerings you're thinking about?
I'm a dutchie, but only rarely see outdoor weed in coffeeshops. most of the standard shops don't sell any outdoor at all.

Hey djonkoman thanks for the great info!

I got some great Purple from Siberie last year, strong but pleasant and really long lasting. The genetics of that one interest me the most.

Hadn't been in the Netherlands for a few years before that so things might have changed but in the past I've bought green outdoor in a lot of places (called bio/organic or something like that usually) and every now and then it's also been very good. One shop that comes to mind is Kashmir Lounge.

Both of those shops have often had some outdoor imports as well but usually they have been more of just an interesting curiosity and not so strong.

Sure indoor and hash are the best but there's something magical to smoking local sungrown flower (not just in NL but wherever in the world you find yourself). Of course it's something of a seasonal product though.

Oh and Royal Dane is one of my all time favorites. Never seen it in a coffeeshop though. Pretty cool that it made it onto a menu. Which shop is this?

djonkoman

Veteran
I don't know those particular coffeeshops, I'm assuming they are in amsterdam? I don't go to amsterdam often, probably been there only a handfull of times in my life (more often just passing through), so only familliar with a few shops there.

if it was called just purple maybe it could be that old purple strain, but just as well could be something random.

Sure indoor and hash are the best but there's something magical to smoking local sungrown flower (not just in NL but wherever in the world you find yourself). Of course it's something of a seasonal product though.
o, you won't hear me going against outdoor weed, I started growing my own before I started smoking, outdoor. I've always missed something in the indoor coffeeshop weed, like it gets me high, but it lacks a certain satisfying component. like when you're hungry for a full meal, and fill up on sweets.
that's also why I bought that royal dane, it was full of seeds and I think 3,50 a gram. but the high was nice.
this was in a coffeeshop in leeuwarden, in the north of the country. but that was years ago, no idea if you'd still find royal dane at the menu there now. they've always had a pretty varying menu, the best I ever got there (or any coffeeshop) was S5 x amnesia for 5 euros a gram (among the outdoor on the menu, but out of season, probably something like a greenhouse with a tarp), it was sold out within half a day.

Both of those shops have often had some outdoor imports as well but usually they have been more of just an interesting curiosity and not so strong.
that was my usual experience too whenever I tried it. thai even has/had a bit of a reputation of being absolute crap (the most common brick import weed you'll find is sold as thai).
but I did once find a relatively nice one, sold as 'jamaica'. really dark brown/black stuff, but the taste was pretty nice (the high was not too memorable I think, not bad, but I remember it for the taste).

good hash imports are way more interesting imo. pretty much every shop has multiple marocs on the menu (under all kinds of names), nepal and afghan are a bit less common. maroc is tasty imo but the high doesn't do that much for me, but I'm a big fan of a good nepal hash. in highschool I always made sure to buy some nepal before I had to study for a test.

goingrey

I don't know those particular coffeeshops, I'm assuming they are in amsterdam? I don't go to amsterdam often, probably been there only a handfull of times in my life (more often just passing through), so only familliar with a few shops there.

Yep, Amsterdam. You should go more often, it's one of the best places in the world, in my opinion. :)

Siberie is a small coffeeshop with a well-rounded menu and a relaxed atmosphere. Kashmir Lounge always had a huge selection of import hashes.

djonkoman

Veteran
Yep, Amsterdam. You should go more often, it's one of the best places in the world, in my opinion. :)
eh, I'm a dutchie, we have the typical kind of relationship with our capital city ;)
people living in amsterdam pretend the rest of the country doesn't exists, or at least doesn't matter, and the rest of the country sees people from amsterdam as weird stuck up people. (all not too seriously ofcourse)
they do have a lot of coffeeshops in amsterdam so also a big variety of weed, but it's also quiet tourist focussed so pretty expensive.

from the few shops I visited in amsterdam, katsu was my favorite. bit outside the center, nice atmosphere inside, and they gave me free tea.
I'll probably o a trip to amsterdam again some day, it is fun making a nice daytrip out of it and visiting multiple coffeeshops. but to just go there to stock up weed isn't worth it to me, I can get similar quality for a lower price closer to home (if I run out of my own harvest).

but still, I think leeuwarden wasn't a bad place to grow up at all, weed-wise. there are only 13 cofffeeshops there compared to I think in the 100s in amsterdam, but relative to the number of inhabitants leeuwarden actually has a pretty high density of coffeeshops.
and there were some pretty good ones, and different shops for different niches. like we had one shop we only went to for hash, one of the best places in the city for hash, eventhough all their weed was pretty mediocre/average.
My favorite 'de os' is really nice for chilling, like they have a room downstairs where you can read all the recent newspapers etc while enjoying a coffee and a joint, and upstairs there's more a lounge with a few tables where you can also play games (played many a stoned game of catan there, we always played the houserule that if you forgot to claim your resources before the turn went to the next person, you couldn't take them anymore. which is quiet hilarious of everyone is stoned and constantly forgetting stuff).
then 'repelsteeltje' which is equal in quality to 'de os', but a setup with more small tables with a few chairs, so more a place to come with 1/a few friends and you want to sit just with your friends.

and then some others less known for quality but still worth visiting sometimes, like one always gave very generous bags, a few that were open late on friday/saturday night, 1-2 with a reputation of serving minors were we always went before we turned 18 (or, just let an older friend get it from one of the better shops, and smoke it inside a bar, where you could enter at 16 already).

and since it's so far from amsterdam, pretty much no tourists at all, so prices are lower than in amsterdam (also a bit different menu though, I think american hype strains are way more common in tourist focussed shops, while in shops catering to dutchies you'll see more of the classic hazes and other classic strains everyone knows)

edit:
I went searching around a bit, saw 'purple' or 'dutch purple' on various menus (different dates) from siberia, some specufied it as a sativa x ruderalis hybrid.
then found a mention of it being a cupwinner, and then I found this
https://en.*finder.eu/strain-info/Pu.../Female_Seeds/

Female Seeds' Purple Power is a cupwinning variety and won the 2nd Place at the Highlife Cup 2004 in the category Outdoor - Coffeeshops, submitted by Siberië!

so, it might be they're selling this purple power under the name purple.
(I'm not sure I believe that lineage on *finder though. with that outdoor harvest date, I'd bet that old dutch purple strain I mentioned is involved. which I think was said to have been around since before skunkmans arrival in the netherlands and the subsequent introduction of strains from california)

Last edited:

goingrey

(I'm not sure I believe that lineage on *finder though. with that outdoor harvest date, I'd bet that old dutch purple strain I mentioned is involved. which I think was said to have been around since before skunkmans arrival in the netherlands and the subsequent introduction of strains from california)

Yeah I don't think that seed finder lineage for Purple Power is correct. And in the quote I posted above Wernard takes credit for it and says it's Viking x Skunk?

Als je Viking kruist met Skunk krijg je hollands Hope.
Ongeveer een kwart van die zaden levert paarse planten op, Purple power.

Which would make it old but obviously post Sam's arrival. Though I suppose the purple is coming from the Viking side and even Wernard himself didn't know exactly what the "2" and "10" parents were, that could be the link to the Brabants paars. Do you know anything more about it? Hard to find much online. Based on the name it originates in the Brabant region.

Here is a photo of Siberie's Purple btw:

fetch

The purples in general seem to get a bad rap but I liked it, and if it won a High Life cup I can't be the only one.

djonkoman

Veteran
I just know the 'brabants paars' from what I vaguely remember from some posts from an experienced grower/creator of outdoor strains (now deceased)(dame blanche/jan veen) on a dutch forum, whose advices were often quoted at the time I started growing. looking back now to see what I can find.
could be I remember the timeline/history wrong.

seems this brabants paars is the same as purple power

Brabants paars ken ik wel,deze plant is paars van kleur is een sterke buitenplant en is die indeling ook waard omdat ze in september klaar is.De naam is eigenlijk Dubbel Paars of Purple Power.

much more I can't find right now, so might very well be the wernard lineage is correct, either way I'd assume that that purple from the coffeeshop is purple power.

edit:
found another post from wernard, basically the same info as the post already quoted earlier, but a bit other details mentioned
Purple Power is zeker geen Sativa.

Origineel is het een kloon in 1986 getrokken uit Hollands Hoop zaad.

Hollands hoop is een F1 hybride die je krijgt als je een mannetje Skunk kruist met een Viking kloon.

Viking was een kruising van 2X10, twe soorten van Old Ed en dus afkomstig uit Oregon USA.

Beiden zijn op zich ook weer gestabiliserde hybrides waar ooit een sativa als ouder fungeerde, maar gekruist met Indica.

Enne, alle soorten die geclaimd worden als zijnde sativa's maar rijkelijk overdekt zijn met hars zijn vermoedelijk ooit al gekruist met White Widdow. Trouwens de meeste soorten die tegenwoordig in omloop zijn die overdekt zijn met hars zijn familie van elkaar, want gekruisd met White Widdow. Daarom lijkt het effect van die "moderne" wietjes zoveel op elkaar en vind ik die weinig enthousiasmerend.

En dan kun je ook nog uitleggen wat er dan aan de hand was met die White widdow, maar dat komt misschien een andere keer.
and another (again from wernard)
Even wat info uit de oude doos: Hollands hoop (nichtjes van Dame Blanche) was zaad afkomstig uit de kruising van een vrouwelijke Viking kloon (2x10-1984) met een Skunk mannetje. De hybrides die hier uit kwamen werden als Hollands Hoop zaad verkocht door Positronics. Ongeveer een kwart van deze planten bloeide paars (zie foto) Daar is indertijd (1985) een kloon van gemaakt die als Purpel door het leven ging. Deze Purpel is dus anders als de Brabants Paars van tegenwoordig, die hard, bijna blauwachtig paars is en daarom niet zo atractief oogt voor de verkoop. De originele Purpel zie je ook nog wel eens, afkomstig van mensen die nog steeds de originele kloon hebben, of als zaad hebben vastgelegd. Kenmerkend zijn de dunne draadjes gedroogd groen blad die over de gedroogde top "heenliggen". Die draadjes groen verhogen de brandbaarheid en rookbaarheid van de soort. De smaak is prima, het effect simpel en stoned.

Holland Hoop en Purpel worden nu nog steeds door verschillende zaden kwekers gemaakt en verkocht.

De zomers worden steeds beter in Nederland, dus met de meeste zaden soorten voor "buiten" zul je een goed resultaat halen. Je wiet wordt gekust door de zon en de regen krijg je er gratis bij. Ikzelf ga dit jaar voor een wat modernere plant, een zusje van de DF, die ik voor het gemak Sinsemilla Guerilla noem. Je hebt de plant eerst niet zo in de gaten, maar het effect is echt heel heftig....

hmm, like always hunting through old posts, the mystery comes back the more posts you see.
same topic as the quote above, 2 posts from dame blanche
Er zijn verschillende soorten in de handel waarvan volgens mij maar 1 soort voldoet aan de eisen om een buitenplant genoemd te kunnen worden.

Dat is Purple Power alias Brabants Paars alias Dubbel Paars alias Brabants Widow. Vele namen voor een sterke,vroege en zeer veel opbrengende buitenplant.Helaas door zijn kleur(zwart als hij gedroogd is) niet gevraagd is bij coffieshops-- önbekend is onbemind? Verder is de geur afwijkend van wat in nederland gangbaar is(indoor)
Wat Wernard bedoelde was de Purpel die ze tot 1994 in de aanbieding hadden in de Positronics en toen de laatste 2jaar was erineens een andere Purpel.Die vond ik niet meer zo goed.

Later ontstond er een veel donkere soort die aanvankelijk DUBBEL PAARS heette maar toen de beide Purpels niet terug op de markt kwamen werd deze omgedoopt tot Purple Power resp. Brabants Paars.

Dit is een zeer goede en sterke plant maar kan niet tippen aan de eerste purpel van Pos.

Hij droogt bijna zwart op.De Engelsen waren er jaren gek op maar sinds 2-3jaar laten die zich niet meer zien.

DB

Last edited:
never heard of it, it could very well be some not so widely available clone or so.
but knowing how the coffeeshops around here work, if you saw that name just at 1 shop, and especially this sort of name, I'd assume the name is made up by the shop. likely, the grower/distributor sold it to the shop without a name, or maybe they thought the name they got wouldn't sell, or they already had that name on the menu.
it's pretty common for coffeeshops to make up names on the spot, or even use well-known names for batches of weed of unknown strains.
For example I know of a shop which uses specific themes in their naming, like they'll have ';lente wiet' (spring weed), 'herfst wiet' (autumn weed), etc.

Thanks 🙏 Since posting I have found a few old threads on here with whispers of "Elephant" (and also "Elephant Ear") But nothing definitive. Abraxas used to have a plant growing on the top floor, in a display cabinet, I think this might have been "Elephant" but it was 20 years ago so my memory of what was written on the cabinet is a bit foggy, lol. The quest for information continues 🔎