What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Real 1980 Colombian Gold

Nexus7

Hey just thought I'd let everyone know that according to phylos DNA testing of Dubi's IBL of Old Timer's Haze it appears directly related to legit Colombian Gold circa 1980. It's also highly likely this line originally came by way of Thailand possibly being derived 1975 commercial Thai Stick from the South East region.

Thai Stick
******* |
Thailand GAL 6251
******* |
Cambodia GAL 6331
******* |
Colombia GAL 6125
******* |
1977 - "Raziel"/1980 Colombian Gold Crosby line/Ace's IBL of OldTimers Haze

Now I'm not saying there are not other Colombian Gold lines out there or that all Colombian Gold lines are Thai stick is grown in Colombia. Just that in this case it appears on phylos that this 1980 Colombian Gold line appears to have some of it's parentage derived from Thai Stick.
It also appears in my opinion that 1980 - Crosby Colombian Gold/Old Timers Haze/ 1977 - Raziel represent the most worked pure landrance Sativas currently displayed on phylos and possibly the most worked/bred by man landrace Sativas in existence! So also quite possibly the best!

Many thanks to Thailand and Colombian growers, Crosby, Easy-A, Old Timer, Ace seeds/Dubi and Phylos galaxy for making this happen.

I'm not affiliated with any seed bank or company just interested in Cannabis origins and these are just my personal opinions. I actually just purchased USC's - 1972 Colombian Gold so have no have no dog in the fight either. Just calling it how I see it.

Also if you are out there JahGreenLabel and want your 72 Gold line DNA tested at phylos (or any another site) I'd be happy to cover you costs.

Enjoy!

Thcvhunter

Veteran
The test proves what we’ve already known:

Haze was a Colombian landrace hybrid.
Then as demand increased and breeder/smuggler circles crossed paths, Thai genetics were brought to the americas to be grown for commercial production.

The original Haze lines will result as pure Colombian.
Later lines will have Thai-grown-in-Colombia mixed in there.

Then when Haze is taken to Holland, it become hybridized with other lines (Indian, Thai, Skunk, etc).

Nexus7

Funny I gave Rob Clarke columbian Thai seeds in march 2016 to send to phylos , but for some reason they seem to have misplaced the submissions ... there were quite a few submissions too
Very dissapointing

Oh that's a shame. I don't suppose you kept back-up samples? Yeah I submitted a sample to Sam_S via ICMag well over a year ago and it's still not there yet. He did offer to test for free and said it may take some time so I can't really complain. One thing is that they may be submitted under RCC's name but with a slightly different strain name. Have you had a good look through all of Rob's samples?

Nexus7

The test proves what we’ve already known:

Haze was a Colombian landrace hybrid.
Then as demand increased and breeder/smuggler circles crossed paths, Thai genetics were brought to the americas to be grown for commercial production.

The original Haze lines will result as pure Colombian.
Later lines will have Thai-grown-in-Colombia mixed in there.

Then when Haze is taken to Holland, it become hybridized with other lines (Indian, Thai, Skunk, etc).

Well it's highly suggestive of what some believe to have happened but we can never know for sure.

In fact Sam_S is the only person I have on the record claiming Haze was a hybrid of Colombian strains.

I'm not really even sure how Original Haze or Haze Brothers Haze fits into the whole phylos picture either. Maybe that's better suited to be called Dutch Haze? Old Cali folks I chat with just call it Santa Cruz Haze. It would be nice if Sam_S and Shanti submit some of their old hazes to phylos so we see how they are all related and we can find out for sure if Neville got his stock direct from the Haze brothers or if he was just using Sam's.

We must also open our minds to these possibilities:

1980 Colombian Gold is pure Thai-stick seed grown in Colombia.

OldTimers Haze is a pure Colombian Gold strain and not a "Haze" or hybrid Colombian.

All "Hazes" might just be renamed Colombian Gold which was renamed Thai Stick.

Santa Cruz Haze and OldTimers Haze may or may not be closely related to each other at all genetically.

That's why I'm so keen to have JGL CG '72 tested. If it's legit I feel it should test free from Thai Stick parentage and if the Crosby 1980 Colombian Gold had Colombian genes in it we could possibly see the two being related on phylos and confirm your theories about there being pure unadultered Colombian Gold around prior to the 1980 Colombian Gold with some Thai origins.

Nexus7

We must also open our minds to these possibilities:

1980 Colombian Gold is pure Thai-stick seed grown in Colombia.

OldTimers Haze is a pure Colombian Gold strain and not a "Haze" or hybrid Colombian.

All "Hazes" might just be renamed Colombian Gold which was renamed Thai Stick.

Santa Cruz Haze and OldTimers Haze may or may not be closely related to each other at all genetically.

Sorry guys was too high. I guess it just means the other parental plants haven't been submitted to phylos yet. Just the Colombian Gold parent for OTH has and that 1980 CG has a least some Thai in it too.

W

Water-

or there is the possibility that the thai stick is mislabelled and is actually Colombian.

or
do you think that cluster that sits furthest out is a Thai/Colombian hybrid?

Nexus7

Forget Phylos. Have you even grown Oldtimer's Haze? I have.

Show me a Colombian Gold who puts out purple phenos like GKN's plants in this thread

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=126562

I think his temps went down to 5c or something. You can't compare if the environment is different. Just see what happened to some plants colors when led lighting came about. See what happens when you grow a tropical Sativa in a temperate climate. It won't be the same as back home.

SnowHigh claims the same 1972 Colombian Gold will throw purple phenos, gold and green everyone except the fabelled silver haze. It's a colorful strain to say the least.

snowhigh said:
*COLOMBIAN GOLD Circa 72: (Colombian Gold x Colombian Gold)

The 70’s Colombian Gold was shipped over in commercial quantities, in large bales much of the “Mersh” or Commercial Gold was hybridized Lombo, so it would grow faster and much of it was a red variety which bleached white/golden in the sun. This made the smoke harsher, and it made the compacted flowers less potent. Many of the farmers in the Guajira peninsula intentionally seeded their crops to increase weight as well as seasoning the flowers with Coca-Cola before pressing to bind the buds together. In smaller amounts possibly 1 or 2 bales amongst hundreds of bales of quality “Lombo” were actual Colombian Gold. Real gold has an astringent quality, honeysuckle aroma and taste that slightly burns the nasal passages with a dry toke or upon inhalation of burned flowers. The high is a creeper high as well as immediate rush. At first one might think they are not actually high as the experience is remarkably different than all other types of cannabis. The high is euphoric but the experience affects the mind and leaves the body well-grounded as if the person experiencing the effects were high from the head up. As for a quality high, Colombian gold is one of the best you can experience as it sharpens the mind and increases the synapses firing in the mind. Some phenotypes can yield a good amount compared to other equatorial cannabis varieties. Though the Colombian Golds are notoriously long flowering. Beware of any other Colombian Golds with hybridized flower times. These are not true lineage Colombian Gold but hybrids if at all related. This variety produces golden flowers from green to gold and some will turn golden to purple with intermingling of gold throughout the floral clusters. Resin production should be good to very good. Some phenotypes will produce little x-mas tress, some will be moderately sized upright structured, others will grow long limbs from the bottom upward with smaller branches coming off the larger ones. AS for flowering times there may be shorter flowering phenotypes but don’t count on getting the faster phenotypes and be prepared for the longer flowering periods as when maturing Colombian takes time and if you spend weeks growing a long flowering Colombian and you harvest earlier then it needed, your time growing will be wasted. Only grow these lines if you’re prepared to have patience and harvest when ready not when you’re ready.

These are breeding lines of unusual quality, since these lines are preservation works they will be released in **Limited Quantity** LIMITED RELEASE**

Flower time range 16-20+ weeks
Stretch 1 to 3x
Resin production: moderate to high
Odor: 7
Aroma: Honey Suckle, menthol, honey, clove, astringent, Spanish port
Potency: 8
Pure Equatorial Colombian Heirloom

Now no I haven't grown OTH, Santa Cruz Haze or 1980 Crosby line Colombian Gold I just know of one person who has. But the evidence is there on phylos. OTH may not be identical to 1980 CG but it's mot far off!

Nexus7

or there is the possibility that the thai stick is mislabelled and is actually Colombian.

or
do you think that cluster that sits furthest out is a Thai/Colombian hybrid?

No the Thai cluster I'm looking at is strong and proven with multiple submissions. The Colombian Gold/Raziel/OTH cluster is what I deem Colombian Gold. It's not clear yet if it's pure Thai grown in Colombia a few generarions removed which "became" Colombian Gold or if some or a little Thai got mixed into a pre-existing Colombian (African derived?) line.

What is clear is the OTH/Raziel/1980 CG cluster represents the most removed/most evolved/most worked by man pure Sativa landrace (and quite possibly the "best") on phylos at this stage.

These are just my opinions based om the current information available.

Nexus7

I did the same with Sam over a year ago on some CG/'74 and never heard back even after I e-mailed him.

Have you tried PMing Sam here? I think he has to get a big batch of samples first before he submits them to make it cost effective. Maybe just PM him here and get him to confirm he received your samples.

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
All Sativa originated around Asia... Indica too... No such thing as landraces, or any of these strains... All these "landraces" are just different expressions of the same shit based on humidity\altitude\latitude...

W

Water-

No the Thai cluster I'm looking at is strong and proven with multiple submissions. The Colombian Gold/Raziel/OTH cluster is what I deem Colombian Gold. It's not clear yet if it's pure Thai grown in Colombia a few generarions removed which "became" Colombian Gold or if some or a little Thai got mixed into a pre-existing Colombian (African derived?) line.

What is clear is the OTH/Raziel/1980 CG cluster represents the most removed/most evolved/most worked by man pure Sativa landrace (and quite possibly the "best") on phylos at this stage.

These are just my opinions based om the current information available.

I think part of the issue is the small sample size.
I remember reading in here in a thread that Cannabis was brought from Borneo to Colombia by early pharmaceutical companies to develop medical strains before prohibition began. But I have never found that information anywhere else. So not sure if it is true.

Its interesting how far removed OG Kush is from OTH.
Totally different ends of a spectrum in terms of breeding goals

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
OG kush is probably just northern lights or a afghani pheno of skunk #1. Think about it... the hype started in 91 or whatever, and the winner of the 1990 cup was NL #5... If anything the low yielders look like mutant BB phenos maybe NL mixed in or whatever... nothing special
Pretty much everything is Skunk, Haze, NL..... Nothing more than Highland Sativa, Lowland Sativa, and Afghani in different mixtures.. Kerala, Nepal, Thai, Afghani spread to Africa then South America. All I know is I need some highland Nepali\Thai in my life, and some Kerala.

Nexus7

I think part of the issue is the small sample size.
I remember reading in here in a thread that Cannabis was brought from Borneo to Colombia by early pharmaceutical companies to develop medical strains before prohibition began. But I have never found that information anywhere else. So not sure if it is true.

Its interesting how far removed OG Kush is from OTH.
Totally different ends of a spectrum in terms of breeding goals

Definitely as more samples get submitted more peoples theories will be proven or disproven. But our knowledge of such things will grow which can only be a good thing.

What I find more interesting is how far removed A5 Haze is from OTH.

In fact there was a thread previously discussing this.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=116264

Seems the Mr. Nice boys were right, what they had was much different to what OT had. But according to Sam Santa Cruz Haze was a pure Colombian Sativa hybrid which is exactly what OTH seems to be.

So we have the pure Hazes -

SC Haze and OTH

Then we have the 50% SC haze sativa hybrids (xmex/indian/more thai) -

Original Haze

And then ~37.5 % pure SC haze (HazeAxNL5c)

A5 cut

Is that about right Sam?

W

Water-

OG kush is probably just northern lights or a afghani pheno of skunk #1. Think about it... the hype started in 91 or whatever, and the winner of the 1990 cup was NL #5... If anything the low yielders look like mutant BB phenos maybe NL mixed in or whatever... nothing special
Pretty much everything is Skunk, Haze, NL..... Nothing more than Highland Sativa, Lowland Sativa, and Afghani in different mixtures.. Kerala, Nepal, Thai, Afghani spread to Africa then South America. All I know is I need some highland Nepali\Thai in my life, and some Kerala.

No, OG Kush is not a pheno of Skunk 1.

You need to travel more.

There is a lot more variety out there than you think

Reactions: Rgd

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Well... considering the internet is global... That kinda is traveling sir...

You literally stated in your previous post that it is interesting that OG Kush is so far removed from OTH.... How obvious can you get sir. You need to think more you silly goose.

The only reason I said its probably a AFGHANI pheno of skunk... was to give it the benefit of the doubt that it is anything other than a pure Afghani.

W

Water-

I have a feeling that what we call Afghani hash strains now, had its breeding origins further north near Tashkent.