What's new

Re-schedule of cannabis by the DEA?

jump /injack

Veteran
Periodically the DEA will have a sham reschedule of cannabis, its been done over and over to gain time for more money in their budget. Marijuana suppression means big bucks for those in the business and they will lie, cheat and steal to keep the tax payer money paying for the Guards Unions and the Legal Profession, vote those out who won't help to reschedule. Whether Democrat or Republican vote them out if they won't represent medical research of cannabis and the sick people of the United States.

"The DEA Will Soon Decide Whether it Will Reschedule Marijuana

The government currently places marijuana in the same category as heroin and LSD.

The Drug Enforcement Administration says it will make a decision in the coming months that could prove to be a watershed moment for the burgeoning legal marijuana industry.

In a memo to lawmakers this week, the DEA announced plans to decide “in the first half of 2016” whether or not it will reschedule marijuana, according to The Washington Post. Cannabis is now listed under the Controlled Substances Act as a Schedule 1 drug, a categorization it shares with other drugs, such as heroin and LSD, which the U.S. government defines as “the most dangerous drugs” that have “no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse.”

Advocates for marijuana legalization have long argued that the drug should be rescheduled, considering marijuana’s relative safety when compared to a drug like heroin, which caused roughly 11,000 overdose deaths in 2014, according to the National Institutes of Health. The argument for rescheduling marijuana also revolves largely around the drug’s potential for medical use, as 23 states have already legalized medical pot to treat a variety of maladies—from cancer to chronic pain—and U.S. Surgeon General Vivek Murthy even admitted last year that “marijuana can be helpful” for certain medical conditions.

Should the DEA decide to reschedule marijuana, bumping it down with supposedly less dangerous drugs such as cocaine (Schedule 2) or ketamine (Schedule 3), the move would likely open the door for expanded research of cannabis’ potential for medical applications. As it stands, the government has an exclusive contract with a University of Mississippi research lab to grow marijuana for the purpose of medical research, and the DEA notes in its letter that the government supplied an average of just nine researchers with marijuana for research purposes per year between 2010 and 2015.
Get Flash Player

Rescheduling could also have a major financial effect on the legal marijuana industry, which some estimates suggest will hit $6.7 billion in sales this year while expanding to nearly $22 billion by 2020. While more and more states have voted to legalize marijuana in some form over the past several years, the drug remains very much illegal on the federal level—an inconvenient fact for a rapidly expanding industry that has led to a range of issues for marijuana-related businesses, from a lack of banking options to federal tax issues."

http://fortune.com/2016/04/06/dea-decision-marijuana-reschedule/

WelderDan

Veteran
I read that yesterday. I'm not holding my breath. The DEA has a huge budget that focuses on Cannabis. Does anyone really think the DEA will kill it's cash cow?

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
How in the hell is cocaine considered better than cannabis. Cocaine is schedule 2 and the good ole naturally weed is schedule 1??? I never noticed that. Thought blow was right up there with the big dog of poison cannabis. It is an unfortunate joke these fuckers are pulling.

igrowone

Veteran
if DEA should reschedule cannabis to schedule 2, that likely would mean business as usual
at least in many aspects, doubt that would be greeted with much enthusiasm around here
i believe DEA would be fine with schedule 2, it would likely expand it's cash take
that said, i doubt they will move unilaterally on this, DEA is on a leash
it's a big political decision and the lowly enforcers don't get all the say in what happens

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
why is weed so lucrative?

because
it is illegal.

they won't do anything to change it being so lucrative, because they're the beneficiaries of it being illegal.

igrowone

Veteran
why is weed so lucrative?

because
it is illegal.

they won't do anything to change it being so lucrative, because they're the beneficiaries of it being illegal.

oxys are 'legal', but go for very large dollars outside the legal framework
if it's scheduled, then its 'legalness' is a matter of opinion and word games

sillygreen

oxys are 'legal', but go for very large dollars outside the legal framework
if it's scheduled, then its 'legalness' is a matter of opinion and word games

But the DEA isn't making those large dollars because it's 'legal', so they don't get the tax dollars and shiny new toys to fight the war on oxy. If it's rescheduled then it will be fact and not opinion on the federal level and DEA funding would get slashed.

igrowone

Veteran
But the DEA isn't making those large dollars because it's 'legal', so they don't get the tax dollars and shiny new toys to fight the war on oxy. If it's rescheduled then it will be fact and not opinion on the federal level and DEA funding would get slashed.

hoping that's how it works out
but one dark road i can see is where DEA gets to be the administrator of federal MMJ
and they will need to be reimbursed for their oversight
DEA at every dispensary and every large registered grow

sillygreen

Why is it up to the DEA in the first place? Hypocritical much? :)

Not really hypocritical, just a severe conflict of interest. But if that gets your goat then you're not going to want to look up how much the private prison industry spends to keep it illegal. As much common sense as legalization makes I'm still shocked whenever any steps forward happen considering the absurd amount of money and power behind the opposition.

redlaser

Veteran
Even if it got rescheduled to II from I it would be a cosmetic change at best. Enforcement isn't going to slow down over that.

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
How in the hell is cocaine considered better than cannabis. Cocaine is schedule 2 and the good ole naturally weed is schedule 1??? I never noticed that. Thought blow was right up there with the big dog of poison cannabis. It is an unfortunate joke these fuckers are pulling.

Methamphetamine is also schedule 2. Doctors actually prescribe it in pill form (desoxyn). All the strongest opiates are schedule 2 except heroin. It's crazy that weed is still illegal federally while doctors prescribe drugs as addictive as meth and hydromorphone.

Genghis Kush

6-10 years of research will be required to scientifically establish the medical benefits of cannabis according to procedures put in place by the DEA.

Federally recognized medical marijuana may be a long way away.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Screw rescheduling cannabis.
What a waste of time & resources.

DE-SCHEDULE that shit.

FREE THE WEED FOR ALL OUR NEED!

KingSkillz

Cash cow. Pretty interesting that the u.s government traffics narcotics to fund proxy wars and shadow governments. While the American people are incarcerated for the same drugs they bring in. It's not a war on drugs, It a war on the people for being locked in a cage for having nature. It's very obvious when you research.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts