What's new

-RASTAFARI-

Two other texts to read are the Holy Piby and the Kebra Nagast.

This is from the latter:

on the way back down the hill to the village, Benji tells me that he knew a man once who was down so low that he tried to take his life. he went out into the bush and wrapped a vine around his neck, and was all set to jump off a tree, when he saw a ripe banana. so he plucked the banana and ate it. then he wrapped his neck with the vine and was preparing to make the leap, when he saw a starving man, eating the banana peel he had just cast away. the sight if a man eating a banana peel on all fours like a dog brought the fellow to his senses.

"there are no angels," Benji explains, as we come back into the bustling village of port maria. "just man."

"what about jah?" i ask.

"that is what is meant by I and I," he replies. "man and jah, together, in this flesh, in this moment. the only angel we'll ever need."
IMG_20110207_124614.jpg

D

darkhorse

seems like there are the hard core denomination types in all religions
and also people who seek the truth and look at a wider prospective.

i like that comming from Rastafari and Christianity -let us sit down and reason and
seek the truth,,
the one thing that concerns me is the masonry aspect of things you see in Rastafarin
movment but on the other hand that is also in Christianity.
i dont really understand all that or how it ties in?

edit; man and Jah together=masonry?
the original sin?- ye shall be as Gods.

seems like there are the hard core denomination types in all religions
and also people who seek the truth and look at a wider prospective.

i like that comming from Rastafari and Christianity -let us sit down and reason and
seek the truth,,
the one thing that concerns me is the masonry aspect of things you see in Rastafarin
movment but on the other hand that is also in Christianity.
i dont really understand all that or how it ties in?

edit; man and Jah together=masonry?
the original sin?- ye shall be as Gods.

When you look into the specifics of Rastafari, the followers are varied. It makes it hard to talk about Rasta as one, because the houses of Rasta follow very different ideology. If you look at Richie Spice (or any of the Bobo Ashanti musicians) you will notice Masonic symbolism. Check out his hands here, this is the Bobo signal. You will also see the other turban dreads (the bobo) doing this hand signal.

spice.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mansions_of_Rastafari

The Bobo Ashanti: Are a cult, and I won't spend too much time here. They are the ultra-orthodox rastas. Some believe that the righteous man is god in flesh. And the wicked man is nothing.

Twelve Tribes of Israel

The Twelve Tribes of Israel is a Rastafarian group founded in Kingston, Jamaica, and now functioning worldwide. Its founder, Vernon Carrington, was known as Prophet Gad, and taught his students to read the Bible 'A Chapter A Day'.
Twelve Tribes of Israel (Ysrayl) Rastafarian organization accept Yahshuwah The Messiyah/Yesus Kristos as Master and Saviour, and H.I.M. Haile Selassie I as divinely chosen by the Creator to represent him on earth. Due to the stigma associated with slavery and the false/pagan use of the name "Jesus" by enslavers/colonialist not practicing what they preached, it is preferred to use the ancient names of The Messiah (Ha Mashiyahch) which is Yahshuwah, Yahoshua or Yahshua (original sacred Hebrew name) and/or Yesus/I-Yesus Kristos (Amharic/Ge'ez name).
H.I.M. is seen as a divinely anointed king in the lineage of King David and King Solomon. While he is considered a type/representation of The Messiyah in Kingly Character, he is not Yahshuwah The Messiyah/Yesus Kristos himself, but a representative of the everlasting Davidic covenant, which is to be fulfilled by The MessiahYahshuah/ I-Yesus Kristos when he returns as The Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah (Yahudah).
The Twelve Tribes symbology is based on Yahqob's (Jacob's) 12 sons, and correspond to the months of the ancient Ysraylite (Israelite) calendar, beginning with April and Reuben. The Most High Jah/Yah/YHWH gave Yahqob a new name which was Ysrayl (Israel). Some people further relate the 12 Tribes to metaphysical signs. Thus Bob Marley came from the Tribe of Yowseph (Joseph), the eleventh of the biblical Ysrayl's (Israel's) twelve children (because he was born in February). The name Levi in Ijahman Levi represents the third child who was born to Yahqob (Jacob). Another well known reggae group of this organization is Israel Vibration.
Bob Marley, by quoting a biblical passage about Yowseph (Joseph) on the album cover of Rastaman Vibration, was acknowledging his own support for this sect. Dennis Brown, Freddie McGregor, Mikey Dread and many other roots reggae artists were associated with The Twelve Tribes of Israel (Ysrayl).
[edit]Nyabinghi

Niyabinghi

The term Niyabinghi means "black victory" (niya = black, binghi = victory). It may also be spelled in a variety of other ways, such as "Nyabinghi", "Nyahbinghi", "Niyahbinghi" and so on. It was first used to describe an East African possession cult located in the areas of south Uganda and north Rwanda in 1700 AD (Hopkins 259). Early missionaries and anthropologists named the Uganda/Rwanda clans, the Niyabinghi Cult, because their culture was based on the veneration of the goddess spirit, Niyabinghi . The Niyabinghi Cult is said to have thrived due to the possession of the goddess Niyabinghi through dance and religious seances.
Various oral traditions exist that explain how Niyabinghi became a revered goddess. One account states that in 1700 AD two tribes inhabited the Uganda/Rwanda area: the Shambo and Bgeishekatwa. Queen Kitami, who is said to have possessed a sacred drum of phenomenal power, ruled the Bgeishekatwa tribe. When Kitami died she was given immortal status and the name Niyabinghi (Freedman 63). Another tradition states that Queen Niyabinghi ruled the Northwestern Tanzani kingdom of Karagwe and married the chief of Mpororo from the southwestern kingdom of Uganda. Envious of the Queen’s power, the ruler ordered her death which is said to have brought “untold horrors to his kingdom” (Kiyaga-Mulindwa 1163). After her death, her spirit continued to be praised and to possess her followers for the next two centuries.
The Bgeishekatwa tribe was eventually defeated by the Shambo clan who adopted the Bgeishekatwa’s rituals for Niyabinghi . A century later the Shambo were defeated by the cultivating Kiga clan (there are legends that the Shambo’s defeat is connected to the attempt to kill a woman who was possessed by Niyabinghi ) (Freedman 74). Once the Kiga tribe reigned over the land, Niyabinghi became known as a matriarchal power, and the Kiga’s century-rule is characterized as the reign of the Niyabinghi priestesses.
Kiga women who received Niyabinghi’s blessings and were said to be possessed by Niyabinghi came to be called bagirwas (Hopkins 259). Eventually the revered bagirwas gained political dominion and became governors of the Kiga people living a dual life of political and spiritual leadership. The bagirwas, including Muhumusa, remained governors of the Kiga people until 1930 after losing their land to British, German, and Belgian imperialists, which they fought for a period of twenty years. At some point, men became Niyabinghi priests as well (Freedman 80-81).
The Niyabinghi Theocracy Government was named for a legendary Amazon queen of the same name, who was said to have possessed a Ugandan woman named Muhumusa in the 19th century. Muhumusa inspired a movement, rebelling against African colonial authorities. Though she was captured in 1913, alleged possessions by "Niyabinghi" continued, mostly afflicting women.
However, Niyabinghi doesn't have any linkage to or relationship with Ethiopian history or Haile Selassie, it is a part of the Rastafari movement and a manifestation of the wisdom of Jah. Niyabinghi are considered the strictest mansion of the Rastafari movement in Jamaica, preaching the ideals of a global theocracy to be headed by Emperor Haile Selassie I, whom they proclaim to be the promised Messiah and incarnation of Jah, the Supreme.

Fulfilled Rastafari

Fulfilled Rastafari[1] is a Mansion of Rastafari who follow Yahshua (Jesus Christ) recognizing Him to be the Messiah and the Only Way to Obtain Eternal Life. By this they seek to fulfill the Teachings and Philosophies of His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie I, 225th Emperor of Ethiopia and Defender of the Orthodox Christian Faith and follow the Messiah as taught by the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church.[2]
Fulfilled Rastafari acknowledges that being a follower of Yahshuah is a tangible living way, made known through works done in faith. Therefore they seek to be servants and friends of humanity, witnesses and evidence of the cross as living branches.
Doctrinally, Fulfilled Rastafari recognizes that the only real answer to world religions divisions and Man Made ‘Rules’ is to keep it as simple as possible, by living the royal law of life which is to love one another as Christ loved us. Love is JAH and JAH is light, so as people decrease presenting themselves as vessels fit for the masters use, the brightness of his rising in us will gather his sheep unto him by an increased hunger to abide in him and know him more. With this they will support and partner with other mansions of Rastafari who are seeking higher understanding.
The focus is on fulfilling the teachings of His Imperial Majesty Emperor Haile Selassie I by creating an atmosphere founded on Christ and established through International Morality, Collective Security, exploiting all areas of agreement, Economic Independence, Education and Empowerment of Women, non-alignment and peaceful settlements of all disputes.
Within this Mansion, an ital diet is generally followed but is not mandatory. The use of ganja, dreadlocks, and other rituals are left up to personal choice, but Fulfilled Rastafari recognize that Jah made "InI naturally with that Ability to reach Him without any food, drink, smoke, hair, friend, mother, father, etc",[3] similar to the position of the Twelve Tribes of Israel.
While probably most similar to Christianity, Fulfilled Rastafari maintain the black lineage of Yahshua* [4] and the current struggle between Babylon, as manifested through the Western powers, and Jah and His people[5]
The Remi branch is the latest of the branches, originating in Angola in the early 2000s. This movement has become very popular in the recent months amongst the urban population of Luanda.[6]
[edit]Others

Other mansions of Rastafari include: Iyesus/Jesus Dreads, Messianic Dreads, Remi Rastafari, and the Selassian Church. There is also a small sect of Jews, called "Zion Rastafari" who still hold on to Jewish tradition, but also accept Selassie I as a descendant of King David, and a divine spirit.
There are also 'Muslim Rastas' with a distinction between Rasta and Rastafari. 'Muslim Rastas' refers to those who practice a way of life and the following of philosophical teachings, while maintaining their monotheistic faith without any belief in H.I.M. Haile Selassie.

*black Jesus

D

darkhorse

this is a lot to digest and will keep me busy for a while checking things out.

thank you for your time and effort on explaing things to me.

Irie_Lion

Free up the Herbs....Let the Sacrament grow!
Veteran
When you look into the specifics of Rastafari, the followers are varied. It makes it hard to talk about Rasta as one, because the houses of Rasta follow very different ideology. If you look at Richie Spice (or any of the Bobo Ashanti musicians) you will notice Masonic symbolism. Check out his hands here, this is the Bobo signal. You will also see the other turban dreads (the bobo) doing this hand signal.

spice.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mansions_of_Rastafari

The Bobo Ashanti: Are a cult, and I won't spend too much time here. They are the ultra-orthodox rastas. Some believe that the righteous man is god in flesh. And the wicked man is nothing.

Twelve Tribes of Israel

Niyabinghi
The symbol u speak of is meant to represent the star of david and not some masonic sign. U can Find pics of H.I.M Haile Sellassie I doin the same thing.

The Bobo Ashanti are not a cult...Its a mansion of RasTafari same way as the rest. They follow certain practices/doctrine that some might not agree with or do but to call it a cult is disrespectful imo. I have some Bobo friends in Jamaica who are some of the nicest ppl u will meet. A few live alone while others stay in a communal style living area. To each his own....when i see a fellow Ras be it bobo, 12 tribes, Binghi or Orthodox etc...we might not agree on everyting but still the common bond of RasTafari is still there. Just as u would liken to the diff sects of christianity or denominations of churches. To each his own......Jah Guide

The symbol u speak of is meant to represent the star of david and not some masonic sign. U can Find pics of H.I.M Haile Sellassie I doin the same thing.
The meaning of this signal varies. And the common misperception is that it represent the masons. I agree it represents the star of David.

The Bobo Ashanti are not a cult...Its a mansion of RasTafari same way as the rest. They follow certain practices/doctrine that some might not agree with or do but to call it a cult is disrespectful imo. I have some Bobo friends in Jamaica who are some of the nicest ppl u will meet. A few live alone while others stay in a communal style living area. To each his own....when i see a fellow Ras be it bobo, 12 tribes, Binghi or Orthodox etc...we might not agree on everyting but still the common bond of RasTafari is still there. Just as u would liken to the diff sects of christianity or denominations of churches. To each his own......Jah Guide

Praising a living man as god on earth, (king emmanuel) is the definition of a cult.
"Oh emmanuel I selassie I JAH Rastafari"
The Bobo Shanti use Revelations 5 to justify Prince Emmanuel as the re-incarnate of the Christ. He is regarded as the reincarnate Black Christ in a priestly state. He was called "Prince Emmanuel Charles Edwards by most members of the Bobo Shanti, without Mother or Father, a Priest of Melchezidek, the Black Christ in the Flesh." He, along with Haile Selassie are seen as Gods

King Emmanuel is called "Dada" by his followers, who see him as part of a holy Trinity, together with Marcus Garvey and Haile Selassie of Ethiopia, in which Selassie is seen as King/God (Jah), Garvey as prophet, and Emmanuel as high priest after the priesthood order of Melchizedek. Almost all sacred songs and tributes to their ancient trinity of prophet, priest, and king ends with the phrase "Holy Emmanuel I Selassie I Jah Rastafari."

Then you consider the extremely cult like society they have created for themselves,
The extreme sexism, and segregation of women during menses
The fact that women are not allow to cook ect.
Uniforms (robe and turban).
Separation from society
Special greetings for the other members

Let's call it a religious commune it that is less offensive.

Here is an interview with King Emmanuel. Selassie I JAH Rastafari.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLpqYsogHeg&NR=1

Here is some bobo camp footage. If you can understand these videos, then you listen to lots of reggae :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F00OBBjorMg

Another video of the King Emmanuel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBGyMXkYYsg&feature=related

Irie_Lion

Veteran
The meaning of this signal varies. And the common misperception is that it represent the masons. I agree it represents the star of David.

Praising a living man as god on earth, (king emmanuel) is the definition of a cult.
"Oh emmanuel I selassie I JAH Rastafari"

Then you consider the extremely cult like society they have created for themselves,
The extreme sexism, and segregation of women during menses
The fact that women are not allow to cook ect.
Uniforms (robe and turban).
Separation from society
Special greetings for the other members

Let's call it a religious commune it that is less offensive.

Here is an interview with King Emmanuel. Selassie I JAH Rastafari.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLpqYsogHeg&NR=1

Here is some bobo camp footage. If you can understand these videos, then you listen to lots of reggae :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F00OBBjorMg
while the things u mention maybe true in some/most instance its not always the case. My bobo friend is married and his wife is allowed to cook. Just not during her monthly cycle. The turban is no diff than a headress worm by nuns, muslims etc. keeping head covered while in prayer. Nothing wrong with wearing robes either...majority wear normal clothes while out on road etc....most times robes are worn during ises or functions. I am just saying dont take everyting u read online as fact. Try and seek out a Bobo and reason with him instead.....u will find varying views same way. Thanks for the reasoning! good vibez

while the things u mention maybe true in some/most instance its not always the case. My bobo friend is married and his wife is allowed to cook. Just not during her monthly cycle. The turban is no diff than a headress worm by nuns, muslims etc. keeping head covered while in prayer. Nothing wrong with wearing robes either...majority wear normal clothes while out on road etc....most times robes are worn during ises or functions. I am just saying dont take everyting u read online as fact. Try and seek out a Bobo and reason with him instead.....u will find varying views same way. Thanks for the reasoning! good vibez
Agreed on all that. The American bobos are not like the commune bobos. Even the commune bobos vary drastically. Have you seen the Jah Jah city video of Capleton riding around in a big red hummer... so un-bobo. lol Lots of hand signals too. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kv4MfhIpVM

You would never guess that Capleton is about 5'6" and his eyes don't point in the same direction... he does GREAT shows. Watch for his salute to JAH, very militant.

Irie_Lion

Veteran
Agreed on all that. The American bobos are not like the commune bobos. Even the commune bobos vary drastically. Have you seen the Jah Jah city video of Sizzla and Capleton riding around in a big red hummer... so un-bobo. lol Lots of hand signals too. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kv4MfhIpVM
yea.....ive seen the vid before. And yea u are correct bout the bobos varying from place to place. Even in Jamaica as i said they can diff on certain topics. And while some of the musicians are bobo in ideology and thoughts u find they live a diff lifestyle most of the time due to their popularity, money etc. Not saying they still cant be bobo's but its a diff trod for them. I just caught Anthony B in concert the other nite.....Nice guy and always puts on a great show. Some of my fave tunes come from boboashanti ras lol.

D

decarboxylator

The Message Riddim 2011: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY009vSwilA
1) Vybz Kartel - Poor People Land
2) Jah Vinci - Wicked Heart
3) Da Professor - Words
4) Richie Spice - Got To Make It
5) Ikaya - Fly Away
6) Pressure - Jah Love
7) Protoje - Take Control
8) Kymani Marley - Brave Ones
9) Vital - Don't Say No
10) Cecile - Rize Up
11) Sophia Squire - Love

The ladies kill it on this song. But of note is Da Professor's ride, and Vital's ride. This was really unexpected from vital, probably his first good roots track. Da Prof just gets it, establishing himself as another up and comer on the scene. I can't get enough of the tracks on this riddim. Possibly the best of 2011, we'll see.

Ioni Botani

I know you guys have seen Rockers, but has anyone seen the movie Contryman?

REALLY good one.
Check it.

On the same caliber as Rockers, but much more....MYSTIK.
It's up on netflix. Enjoy.

IonI

D

decarboxylator

I know you guys have seen Rockers, but has anyone seen the movie Contryman?

REALLY good one.
Check it.

On the same caliber as Rockers, but much more....MYSTIK.
It's up on netflix. Enjoy.

IonI

Give thanks! I have not seen that one. Vuze-ing it right now. Has anyone seen "Rude Boy"? It's a low budget jamaican version of belly. But there are a bunch of dancehall stars in it, and even some TnA.

D

decarboxylator

That movie was awesome! I'll just say there is most def a shower scene so you will see some skin.