What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rapid Rooters vs Peat Pellets

FC89

Sup IC,

I've read alot on both of these, but both seem to be a good way to start seeds.But can anyone tell me which is better? I've read some stories how peat pellets can sometimes restrict root space if not treated properly, and some grow just a bit and then their roots are stunted. I haven't read many stories on rapid rooters but it seems like a good way to start seeds. I'm going to be putting the seeds in a shot glass of water, wait for them to drop then drop them in either the RR or PP, but I'm not sure which to use! I've heard alot of success stories with rapid rooter and peat pellets, but which is best use for from seeds straight to the starter? Also is it a good idea to keep transplant and keep the plant with the rapid rooter and peat pellet and just put that in the next pot? maybe cover the top of the pellet or rooter just a bit?

Thanks for your opinions guys, I appreciate the help/answers.

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
I would take Rapid Rooters over Peat Pellets easily. Peat pellets are too dense IMO, RRs are like little sponges. Soak them, and then squeeze them in your fist to wring a little bit of water out, and it's perfect.

D

danimal7

a peat pellet is a rapid rooter, 6 days.....i vote pellets

as soon as the hairy little roots poke out the side of the pellet ,plant it and it will not be stunted if the little fuzzy roots set out in the dry /light they will shrivel and stunt the growth. and wont grow much at all till you plant it

also dont let the pellets get sopping wet ,remember the roots are expanding looking for water

D

danimal7

I would take Rapid Rooters over Peat Pellets easily. Peat pellets are too dense IMO, RRs are like little sponges. Soak them, and then squeeze them in your fist to wring a little bit of water out, and it's perfect.

thats exactly the way I do the peat pellets

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
They both work equally as well. Rooters will dry out faster so you need to stay on top of keeping them moist until germ.
I just bought 72 Jiffys for $4.00, and that aint gonna happen buying RR's.

B

Bazarocka

Just A Lil Diff

Just A Lil Diff

a peat pellet is a rapid rooter, 6 days.....i vote pellets

Rapid Rooters are unique starter plugs made from composted tree bark. Naturally occurring microbes colonize in the root zone and help provide a good air to water ratio making for very rapid root growth. This product will get your seeds or clones off to a great start!
(MANY OF US YOU THESE NOWADAYS)

Jiffy Pellets are made from sphagnum peat from specially selected peat bogs. Lime and a special fertilizer with a low ammonium content are added to the peat in order to stimulate growth. The pellets have a pH of approximately 5.3 and are wrapped in a thin, degradable net. Ideal for starting your seeds indoors!
(MANY USE THESE THE OTHER DAY) "Medicated" :smokey:

Like MANY subjects in this arena, you'll get a variety of responses.

Happy Growing:whistling:

V1AAA

having tried all types of medium for my clones i prefer either rockwool, or the jiffy's

reasons i like the jiffy's....

cost effective

and i can squeeze more in my propagator :biggrin:

JWP

Which ever you use you don’t want to be waiting for roots to come out the sides when starting seeds. I use jiffy’s and I’m always sure to have them sitting on top of the next medium within 48 hours of wetting the seed. The tap root comes out the bottom of the pellet before the seed leaves or seed casing come up and if the tap root is impeded then growth will be stunted. :smoke:

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
All good suggestions. I use both, the RR's I use for cloning.
As mentioned, the cost of the Jiffy pellets make them a little more user-friendly for seeds. No biggie if a seed doesn't germ.

When popping alot of seeds, I just go w/ a soil bed, but if you're just cracking 10, Jiffy's are easy. Just 'activate' them a day in advance, so once they've expanded you can let them dry out a bit before planting seeds. Soggy is a :nono:

Classic Seeds

Veteran
rapid rooter with distilled water and a heat mat problem free starts and clones jiffy pots or plugs do not work as good they may be cheaper but unless your growing bag weed seeds it matters how many do not start or die from dappening off a real problem with jiffy cubes they are hard for the starts roots to penitrate plus they stay to wet and i have seen them turn green with mold or fungus never had a problem with rapid rooter as long as you get the seed facing the right way pointy end down i take a razor blade and make a small cut to hold seed tight they can move around and hook root if you just put them in the hole

JWP

Many have many views but IMO nothing good can come from handling a seed once it has cracked. I put my seeds in water to soak for only a couple of hours. Then they go into the pellets before they have cracked. The whole idea of soaking the seeds is only to soften the seed casing to allow the plant to break out with ease.
Does anyone really want to take chances with the beans they just paid an insane amount for? I treat bag seed with the same respect. Picture yourself as the seed. :ying:

Classic Seeds, we are not talking about cubes rather pellets.

ColBatGuano

I always grow from seeds, and in my experience, Jiffy plugs work better. You need to soak Jiffy plugs well beforehand. Drop the Jiffy plugs into a bowl of non-chlorinated water and let them expand. Wait a few minutes, then put in your seed. Put the plugs in your tray, put on the dome, and cover it with a towel to keep it dark inside.

When you see sprouts, start checking once a day for a root coming out of the bottom. When you see it, transplant them. I've actually removed un-cracked seeds from Rapid Rooters and placed them into Jiffy plugs for better results.

Rapid Rooters, because they are less dense, may actually be better for cloning, but I can only say that theoretically because I don't clone. For seeds, I haven't been pleased with their performance.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
As far as how I use them, a puck needs to be soaked as can be..then just put the seed on top, open side down, and only about half or more of the seed sticking into the peat.
It is key to determine the opening side of the seed...(the end that will open when germed).
Sometimes if a seed sprouts upside down, the tap has a hard time and often times demise will be the result.
I never soak or towel them anymore, such a bad rate of success messing around like that.
And the instant that the cots are free...the puck needs to be immediately places into the next pot of medium. Don't give it time for the roots to find the outside of the puck first. Get them in the cup.

V1AAA

rapid rooter with distilled water and a heat mat problem free starts and clones jiffy pots or plugs do not work as good they may be cheaper but unless your growing bag weed seeds it matters how many do not start or die from dappening off a real problem with jiffy cubes they are hard for the starts roots to penitrate plus they stay to wet and i have seen them turn green with mold or fungus never had a problem with rapid rooter as long as you get the seed facing the right way pointy end down i take a razor blade and make a small cut to hold seed tight they can move around and hook root if you just put them in the hole

no full stop's or comma's make your post harder to understand bro

but, any growing medium can green off due to algae (that's what it is). this is caused by too much light, heat, and too wet of a medium . kinda like when you let them sit in ton's of old water for a long period of time, with intense light and heat

as much as i prefer a drier rather than wetter medium to start thing's off, i notice that it's hard to over water a jiffy. i just soak them, squeeze them out a little, and forget them til i see root's. :smokey:

i find that clones look droopy on the 1st day if the medium isn't wet (not soaked) rather than a little drier. i actually had this problem the other day. my buddy left his rockwool cubes a little drier when taking his clones, and they looked sad, so i added a little water, and they are all up now :smokey:

FC89

wow guys good responses.... it seems that there both are kinda split... I think I'm gonna go with the peat pellets, those are like the same as those jiffy plugs or are they different? like I said above I'll start the seeds in a shotglass wait for them to sink then just put them in the peat pellets/jiffy. So you guys are saying that it's bad if the pellet has alot of roots? And that its a good idea that as soon as you see a root at the bottom to put it above the medium or in it? Sorry for all the questions, I'm a newbie. I like the idea of just putting in or above the medium seems good, but I thought you were supposed to keep it in the container until it shows some growth?
thanks for the interest and help so far guys... seems that their both good ways to start

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
There are a million ways to skin a cat.

The seed needs to sense moisture for a period of time to kick it into germination mode. If the peat puck (Jiffys are a trusted brand of peat puck) is properly saturated, there will be plenty of moisture to trigger the germination if the seed is in contact with it at all. Even laying on top of the peat will allow the seed to germ with nothing else done. In fact, laying them on top sideways is how GrowDoc (seed breeder and vendor) recommends it be done. His method takes the fresh sprouted seed and forces the root into the medium, but I don't care much for messing with the thing once it has hatched. But there again is a cat skin method.
There is really nothing to gain by leaving the seedling in the puck past it cracking open. It is way easy to let a puck go dry, and then you have squat. Not worth the risk. Besides, the plant will thrive better, IMO, if the tap keeps finding growth path, instead of a dead end such as the side of the puck provides. If it finds medium past the side of the puck, it surely is better off than not.

In any event, you can let them grow as long as you want, in just about anything you want, as long as you satisfy their needs.

Be careful of off brand pucks, pellets, whatever you want to call them. Some peat based pellets will have a pH that is way out of whack for mj.
Also be careful of coco pucks for the same reason.

I want my puck wet...as wet as possible. Waterlogged wet. And they will probably get no more until the seed is cracked and it is in a beer cup full of dirt.

B

bcell

I use peat pellets (Jiffy-7s) as they are available in town for $0.25 each. Do not need to drive to the specialty store. I have started to hear some discussion that peat is bad - not a renewable resource with environmental impacts. It would be cool if someone came up with coco based pellets.

C

Classyathome

Peat pellets/pucks...

Plump 'em w/ boiling water - they pop right up. I prepare them waaaay in advance, and dry them out.

Once I'm ready to plant beans, I soak from bottom up w/ room temp water...

Started to lightly score sides and base - seems to help w/ root breaking thru...

I use rockwool for cloning, and peat pucks for beans...

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
bcell, there are coco pellets already. I think Jiffy may even have them.

I like to dry them out too, classy. I have dried them, cut them in half with a sharp knife, and then air layered a cut with the two halves. Works great.

Latest posts

Latest posts