What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rant

Sleepy

Veteran
I didnt know this until now but they say 20% of people that have hip surgery do not survive the first year.

...wow, i didn't know that either...

its not your fault, jenn...

hippie_lettuce

Garden Nymph
Veteran
i advise not thinking about what has happened, since what's happened has happened. you can't turn back time. so, just focus on the here and now, and enjoy your time with her.

bless

Rose56

Jenn, I think the percentage is even worse then 20% after age 70 I use to work as a nurse and have seen it a lot. Its not just the surgery but the immobility that gets them. I'm sorry you have to go through this.

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sorry jenn..it is tough to watch your grandmother go thru all that...but she has you and your mom, shes not alone and you will always have your memories..it doesnt miss any of us, try to stay positive :)

Bruja64

So sorry for your loss Jenn.

Your grandmother was lucky to have someone that loved her so much.
As you witnessed for yourself, many elderly people have no one that cares, and spend their golden years all alone.

Bless your heart & bless her heart too.

C

cbf

Hey Jen, now it's time to remember that she is with you daily until the day you see her again. Life is so hard, wish herb was legal so we could puff a fatty. Take care. prayin for ya.

madrecinco

Veteran
Today I wept like a 5 year old child, for today I lost my grandma. I can only pray that Heaven truly exist's and today grandma found her lost one's.

:frown: Jenn

So sorry dear...90% 0f fractured hips are women 65 or older...mainly due to osteoporosis. Can cause severe health problems and premature death...
Always require surgery...caused mostly by falls...90% caused by falls...

85 years and older are 10 to 15 times more likely to happen to.1 in 4 die within the first year...

from complications usually...pneumonia...catherization causes up urinary infections...pain meds cause loss of appetite and weight loss and up confusion and weakness...

as Baby Boomers age it will reach new crisis.

But prevention is the best way. Put things near grannies...use good lighting...keep electric chords off floor...educate safety prevention. Check on them daily...

Have taken care of many of these grannies myself after their surgery....and now I am one.
So I have safety prepared my condo and keep my cell phone in my pocket...
Many seniors fall and FX their hips and lay alone for days before being discovered here in FL....a crisis really.

Hope she is in a better place now and looking down on you.

Latest posts

Latest posts