What's new

Rainbows are Gathering AGAIN!

del...

this year's gather will be in new mexico, either around taos or west central N.M. in the gila national forest. "officially" it runs from july 1 to july 7 but people start camping in mid-june and many stay until august to clean up, reseed and erase our presence as much as possible. it's all free and all peace loving people are welcome! there is a separate area set aside for families so it's a great place for kids too...plenty of daily activities are planned each year for the kids (arts & crafts, games, story-time, etc) and adults have seminars where they can learn (and teach!) about massage, wilderness survival, edible wild plant identification (there's always something to eat in the woods)...well, you get the idea.

what it is isn't is..many believe the gathering is a drug-fest and anything goes...it is not like that. the herb is plentiful as are shrooms but alcohol and hard drugs are frowned on. as is cash...most anything that one needs can be bartered for and cash is always a last resort. some kitchens accept donations to replenish supplies but all will gratefully accept a fresh veggies/fruit, bag of beans or rice in exchange for feasting for as long as you care to. many kitchens build ovens out of the earth for outstanding pizza, cinnamon rolls, bread and anything else that can be baked and there's always a fine hot meal to be found at one of the usually more than a dozen separate kitchens.

more details as they come up or feel free to ask...it's all free...!

see y'all on the land!

You know, i've been trying to get to one of these for a while. I've been so down on luck i've never had a chance to go! Hopefully this year will be different!

del...

the rainbow family of living light is a non-organized organization for anyone with a belly button. we meet once a year for a national 'gathering of the tribes' and camp in the woods for a few weeks. it's been held every year since the early 70's and grew out of the woodstock experience when 1,000's of people came together for a weekend of peace, love and music...it didn't have to end when the music stopped and it hasn't, much to the chagrin of the government. there are also regionals held throughout the year in all parts of the country and world but the biggie, when anywhere from 8,000 to 30,000 people gather, is held every year over the 4th of july...and the month before and after.

here's a link to some background behind it all...
http://www.welcomehome.org/rainbow/sites/annual-site.html

del...

You know, i've been trying to get to one of these for a while. I've been so down on luck i've never had a chance to go! Hopefully this year will be different!

you and anyone have plenty of help getting to and from the woods. there are rideshares listed on the link above and i'm sure you have neighbors or someone nearby that'll be going...we also have a small fund to help those who can't afford a bus ticket to get there via greyhound. it's usually reserved for ladies in distress but it's been known to help the guys get there too. what's important is getting there and we'll do anything we can to help you get there!

The Bling

Ill be in kiddie village takin mace in the face protectin the kids!!! and being labeled a terrorist for feeding kids and spreadin love:abduct: its the spunion meetup

ee fey fireee Iand i

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
Ah...the Rainbow Family....haven't heard hide nor hair of them since the days of Dead Tour. Some of the best people I've ever met came right from that family...
Actually, come to think of it...some of the best acid I've ever had came from the Rainbow gatherings!
Too bad you peeps aren't local. I'd love to come and hang. Plus, I'd be sure to bring a copious amount of foodstuffs to share.

del...

i'd be willing to bet there are some close by...there are many family groups around the states (around the world for that matter) and many are listed at the welcomehome.org site. or google your area for rainbow and see what ya get. drum circles are another title to search under but most don't advertise that...they just show up at their favorite park and start up a rhythm!
there's also a yearly camp in ocala (florida) national forest but it's not really a 'rainbow gathering' but more of a holding camp for anyone in need of a home over the winter. there are probably a few camps there right now, waiting for the national to set up seed camp as there are many people who do this full time...some might consider them homeless but usually it's just people trying to get by living in rv's, buses and regular old tent camping!

there's always rideshare boards set up too and they're a good way to locate like-minded people in your area...and anyone in need of a ride to and from can almost always find a ride to the gathering...like if anyone needs one from las vegas, we'll be leaving around mid-june, or as soon as the map comes out!

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I wish I would have know about this before. I will have to join you guys one year. It sounds great. I would love to bring food, outdoors info, and buds to share with people. Unfortunatley I dont know about this year.

Gila national forest looks really pretty, probably be a few more years till I get to drop by another one.

This national should be a good one, they are all a bit different. Kinda bothered me not going last summer, it's a great get away.

I just really can't mess with the "Black Budget" this year, a greyhound ticket round trip for $150; but traveling with no dollars is no fun. Plus I have been to enough gatherings to know that showing up empty handed sucks (can be cool, it depends).

Next time I go, bringing some things; not that it really matters but it's nice to keep some old timers stoned. Have yet to meet some pretty thing either, have seen some amazing girls but damn.

Just remember all the spirits of the IC magger's and other family that can't be there.:abduct:

Quentin

Good strong smoke and good mates.

Fecken A. Clean water clean air.The great outdoors.Smoke till you wobble.I went To Byron Bay Once and smoked on the beach with my previous Band.
We watched the sunset and it was beautiful.

Quentin

Keep looking in the sky cause its getting me high.

The Bling

Gila national forest looks really pretty, probably be a few more years till I get to drop by another one.

This national should be a good one, they are all a bit different. Kinda bothered me not going last summer, it's a great get away.

I just really can't mess with the "Black Budget" this year, a greyhound ticket round trip for $150; but traveling with no dollars is no fun. Plus I have been to enough gatherings to know that showing up empty handed sucks (can be cool, it depends).

lol digg us some shitters you'll get taken care of hard work is value too mayne

L~B

Welcome home peeps!!!!...A few years back I wouldn't have missed it we have the same problem this year as past small children and baby's and too far to go.... and for any one that can go.....Go...even If you don't have loot you can always get by on bliss... I have never seen a huge mess after a gathering I have done the whole month before and when we left the only mess was the trails that were made and they were reseeded....

I recall the Shawnee forest being a total mess after the drainbow gathering in 1996, I know as I was one of the volunteers from Southern Illinois University who cleaned it up.

Thanks
Stagger

del...

Please clean up when this is over, you guys left a serious mess in the national forest around steamboat.

i'd like to see where you got that info from...here's a piece of what a guy from routt county's environmental health dept had to say about it in "the steamboat pilot"...

snipped from the article and the link is below it...

Zopf has worked in county environmental health since 1977. He said the Rainbow gathering was the largest event he has dealt with. While surveying the site, Zopf said he saw no evidence of hazardous waste -- trash or human -- and noticed that a stream near the camping area appeared to be free of sediment, which would indicate lingering bacteria.

"There was really no on-site waste disposal -- everything that I saw was carried off the site, in terms of solid waste," Zopf said. "As for human waste, they had soil that they placed over it, and they were also using hydrated lime, which is typically used to help the decomposition process."

http://www.steamboatpilot.com/news/2006/jul/15/rainbow_remnants/

these types of comments are more the norm from people investigating the aftermath of a rainbow gathering. yes, paths get made and the ground is trampled upon but these are reseeded with native vegetation and within 3-5 years even the paths are gone...

the uintah mountains in utah 2003 total mess took two months to clean up ,but it isnt the rainbow familly it,s the trashey people that follow just to get drugs but either way what a joke

Latest posts

Latest posts