What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rain water and tap water discussion

Three Berries

So other than the minute amount of copper in some roofing material just what is so toxic about a roof as compare to whatever other surface collection you are using? The copper would be worst with the first and last water (slowly stopping) collected.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I don't think there's a problem with roofs, but some people think that rainwater is dirty or toxic if it percolates over roofing. It seems that every person that knocks using rainwater has never used it before, but still knocks it. I don't care. 😎

chilliwilli

Waterboy
I think thats because all the dust that settles on a roof. Somewere in the woods i wouldn't care much about it. The shelf life of the water is maybe a little shorter with all the nutes flushed in the tanks.
Somewhere where a lot of cars drive that dust may contain abrasion of tire and a little condensated exhaust gases. This was also more of a problem when they mixed the lead in fuel.

A simple first flush diverter and u don't have to worry about what is also flushed in your tank.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Here's 6 days later. Everything is the same. 😎
IMG_3912.JPG

IMG_3913.JPG

IMG_3919.JPG

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Here is 30 days into flowering halfway there. I'm rotating the plants every week because I'm using HPS and LED together. I'm surprised at the smell just being 30 days into flowering. I think it's the light combo that makes the plants stink so much. 😎

IMG_3980.JPG
IMG_3960.JPG
IMG_3975.JPG

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I'm using two different soils, Ocean Forest and Pro Mix HP with RO water and General Hydroponic Flora series. I haven't used RO water in a very long time and I'm having to get dialed in again. I ran into a few bumps in the road so to speak but worked my way back. I will be glad to get back to using rainwater again. 😎
IMG_3998.JPG

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
These plants are putting out a big stink, more than I expected. I have 13 days left with this one. The small Sativa's are stinkers making a big stink. I've seen knee-high sativas only a few times. I had to grow some. 20%THC

These small Ganash plants are easy to mold and so I have to cut the water almost off. Normally they get 3 liters of water every couple or three days. I'm only giving them 1 liter at a time as needed to keep them alive. Since the humidity is high due to excessively humid weather I have to be very careful at this point. 😎

IMG_4063.JPG

IMG_4074.JPG

IMG_4077.JPG

Three Berries

Hmm. It must be something else then. I've been running solenoid driven misters and I've been bleaching my rainwater tanks at 1-3-1/2 ml for a few years now. I only recently started getting this weird buildup.
I noticed a dry film on the sides of the tent when cleaning it out last go around I've since switched to H2O2 for the mister water sterilizer. 5mL to a gallon of 3%. No film or odor at all.

ButterflyEffect

I noticed a dry film on the sides of the tent when cleaning it out last go around I've since switched to H2O2 for the mister water sterilizer. 5mL to a gallon of 3%. No film or odor at all.
I wish I could do that but it would be a complicated affair that would involve four separate injectors. My misters are line pressure and controlled by a solenoid via an arduino controller.

Three Berries

My issues are calcium and depending on time of the year I need a lot to combat light bleaching so go full well hard water during the winter up to flowering time. And still have to add copious amounts of Ca. The 30-40 day time period is crazy with high CO2 and mucho LED..

ButterflyEffect

Do you add bleach? They have line pressure adjustable metering injectors.
No bleach. I used to until I realized that the bad bacteria comes back twice as bad if I don't do it. Plus the residue has diminished considerably since I stopped. It also reacts poorly with the fulvic acid that I use. I may have to look into those injectors now that you've mentioned them.

ButterflyEffect

My issues are calcium and depending on time of the year I need a lot to combat light bleaching so go full well hard water during the winter up to flowering time. And still have to add copious amounts of Ca. The 30-40 day time period is crazy with high CO2 and mucho LED..
What medium do you grow in? I have been in perlite hempys for a while now and using Jacks 321, I could never get the rootzone pH remotely close to the input. I'd put in at 5.34 and out it comes at 6.5 or higher. Classic leaf crinkle and some micro defs along with some Ca defs. My theory was that the Jacks Calnit was the driver behind it due to it being all Nitrate based. I just switched to YaraLiva and the results have been remarkable. Next week at some point I'll do runoff tests again to see how it's changed but visually it's impressive. The Yara also has 19% Ca over the Jacks which is 18%.