What's new

rabbits!

smokeymacpot

Veteran
i had holes prepared and left them to settle for abit, but i checked on them and it appears rabbits have dug into them and scattered the soil everywhere. now im not sure why they have done this. could it be because i used pelletised manure and the rabbits have dug in there to eat it ?? stupid things :mad:
now obviously i need to think about fences! though this is good in a way as i now see that if i had planted right away, my plants would have been goners!

Kushed

It may or may not be rabbits, but its definatly cause there is something interesting in the soil they smelt and wanted to get at, I have this happen every year which is why you dig your holes first you know, then go in a couple weeks later or however long you deem necesarry, normally I dont even wait that long and they dont mess with the holes again but yah def get some caging around the plants when you do cause rabbits like to chomp the tops of your babys right off.

chris1985

Got to hate Rabbits except for in a nice stew, try and set up some rabbit traps so you can have smoe nice dinner lol, but seriously rabbits are just like big fu**ing spidermites a pain in the arse for any grower!

B

buddymate

Rabbits are attracted to and dig in disturbed ground,did you find small scrapes like european rabbits do?

LazLo

This is the first year rabbits have ever disturbed my plants. Found 6 chewed off a few inches above ground just this week. Lost 3 WW, 2 El Nino and 1 NLXS.

Next year each seedling will have a 12 " tall cylinder of 19 gauge 1/2" hexagonal green vinyl coated poultry wire surrounding it. The 12' square plot is surrounded by deer netting but Peter Cottontail just crawled under it. The shaved bar soap and dirty cat litter spread around the plot perimeter didn't deter the bastard!

The only rights you have are the ones you defend.

smokeymacpot

Veteran
Rabbits are attracted to and dig in disturbed ground,did you find small scrapes like european rabbits do?

no my soil mix is far too soft and fluffy to be able to see scratch marks, but it was obvious that something had like shoveled it out into a few small heaps. i just cant believe they were after the manure pellets! why dont they eat the grass instead!
the area is rabbit heaven so trapping would be pointless so im thinking of using that strong wire fencing that has 1cm holes and is like welded together, 1m high and pegged to the claysoil around the hole, should stop them!

THC123

Veteran
i also lost 2 ^plants on guerillia due to rabbits , also chewed off few inches off the ground

I am gonna put 2 other clones there with a small cilinder fence around it bout 20-30cm high(1 foot) so the damn tasty bastards can't reach it

cave

could be raccoons..or any other amimal that likes to look in nice smelly soil for bugs with is a lot you need poop to see what it is just set up a little fench should keep then out

D

Deaner

I've literally had dozens of plants eaten by rabbits. For now on, I will only be putting plants out with chicken wire surrounding them.

cave

ya i am not sure but i think rabbits only dig holes vs just digging the soil out i would think it would be more like shunks or raccons or something like that i have lots of rabbit around and the only seem to eat my plants not dig them up ..not my pot because it is in pots so it is off the ground. but if you plant in hole i would always use chicken wire or some fenching when they are small. plus when they get bigger you can use it to train them

3rd I

Repellent and coyote/cat urine....i try to bring in a 3lb. bottle of Repels All granules every two weeks...they also make dog and rabbit granules

I take a bottle of predator urine and dump it into a plastic baggie of cotton balls....take a plastic bottle (vitamin water, gatorade, whatever) drill 1/4" holes in it about a dozen or so and put the soaked cotton balls into the bottle...you can camo them with black, brown, n green spray paint and hang them from trees or bushes...you can make a bunch and create a perimeter...the stench will not be washed away by rain with the cotton balls inside the bottle

peace and be safe
3rd I

Gantz

Smoke weed and prosper
Veteran
I found once a rabbit living next to one of my plants...but it was cool enough to not eat any of my buds

smokeymacpot

Veteran
could be raccoons..or any other amimal that likes to look in nice smelly soil for bugs with is a lot you need poop to see what it is just set up a little fench should keep then out

non existant in this country. we have lots and lots of rabbits. some foxes and some deer.

D

Deaner

Repellent and coyote/cat urine....i try to bring in a 3lb. bottle of Repels All granules every two weeks...they also make dog and rabbit granules

I take a bottle of predator urine and dump it into a plastic baggie of cotton balls....take a plastic bottle (vitamin water, gatorade, whatever) drill 1/4" holes in it about a dozen or so and put the soaked cotton balls into the bottle...you can camo them with black, brown, n green spray paint and hang them from trees or bushes...you can make a bunch and create a perimeter...the stench will not be washed away by rain with the cotton balls inside the bottle

peace and be safe
3rd I
Great idea 3rd I!

B

buddymate

Ferret shit is the best rabbit deterent I know.
Somebody who knows their subject :yes: Find a guy who keeps and works ferrets,they are clean animals and always crap in the same corner of their cage,its eye-watering stuff but a rabbits natural predator in the wild is Mustelids like mink,stoat,weasel and FERRET :yes:Stick a ferret down a rabbit hole and see how quick the bunnies shoot out.