What's new

qwiso

B

bowlgrinder

so i finally made some but i got two grades of the stuff some parts of the dish are covered with a nice golden oil thats sticky but mold able the rest is covered in a very thin dry almost dust like substance that still mold able. so my question is what is the ldifference?

ps

i worked both of them into little balls the dusty stuff turned out to stay gold when balled where as the oily stuff turned black?

whats the difference?

Last edited:
In my opinion, the golden stuff is stronger, not to mention much easier on the lungs.

The black stuff contains a lot of the plants non-psychoactive oils and terpenes. (Not to say it doesn't include some psychoactive compounds, but it's not worth the coughing to me.)

You can actually end up with only golden trichomes if you let your post-wash iso settle in the fridge and then pour off the excess alcohol. You'll notice all of the trichomes have fallen to the bottom and can be purged perfectly.

Here's an example of what came from some seedy, commercial outdoor ganja:

IMG_1273.jpg

You can see remnants from a different batch (brickweed) in the middle to the right-hand side of the first picture.
That batch was actually better, since I was less conservative and poured off more of the ISO alcohol before purging.
IMG_1272.jpg

B

bowlgrinder

doesn't the iso dissolve the trics if so they wouldn't settle would they?
i smoked it and have to wonder why my shit bubbled for like 2 hits the just burst into flames and became a solid smoking mass?
i think i should let this shit sit for a day even after the purge

No, the trichomes are not dissolved. They're right there. In the the pictures. That stuff was made using 91% ISO Alcohol.

If you don't pour off the excess alcohol, you're going to have a problem getting that tarry crap fully purged, hence the bubbling, burning, and complete lack of effectiveness.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
ya the trikes are dissolved. almost completely and almost all of them i predict; if you care to do careful examination.

Ok, trying to figure out which of the 11-15 different definitions of 'dissolve' the original poster intended to use is pointless. It's all in the context of his question.

Basically, if you let the solution sit (all motion stops) the trichomes will settle at the bottom. Therefore, in my opinion, the trichomes don't dissolve in the solution, although it may have been dissolved from the plant matter during the wash.

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
Interesting info EBI :yes:
Couple Q´s...

1.So you rinse the erb in da iso and put <- this solution into freeze?

2.After this you pour remaining alcohol of? How do you manage to pour olny alcohol, no trichomes while doing this, if you do not filter the solution?

Those were my main questions, if I understanded right and you give me good technique to pour alcohol without trichs, then I try this method this evening fo´sure!!!

The only time ive been actually able to see trichs in the iso solution is when you use too little alcohol and its reached its saturation point, but im no expert just my 2 pennies

Thank you nite tiger seconding of my thoughts, id say that you could get the solution to separate into thc/iso layers and then decant.. but imo it would take way took long and if you arent very steady handed when pouring you might end up pouring out some of the thc layer by mistake? just seems a little labor intensive for the same result but im gonna give it a try to see if theres a difference

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
Yes Weedaholic, it really does seem to need stedy hand & nerve´s and I dont have them :D Im still waiting EBI to chime in and tell some great technique to do it!

However, if you pour iso into coffee filter, then there wouldnt be any waste, even if you end up pouring trichs with iso :chin:

Ill give it a try tomorrow, I just have to satisfie in one quality, because I only have one little bottle of 91 % iso and the first rinse takes almost all of it.......

B

bowlgrinder

EasyBakeIndica said:
Ok, trying to figure out which of the 11-15 different definitions of 'dissolve' the original poster intended to use is pointless. It's all in the context of his question.

Basically, if you let the solution sit (all motion stops) the trichomes will settle at the bottom. Therefore, in my opinion, the trichomes don't dissolve in the solution, although it may have been dissolved from the plant matter during the wash.

you've done this and seen it?

i cant belive im getting two compleate opposite ansers on this, but
if the trikes just broke off the bud and passed thru the filter why the fuck am i using alcohol and not just water? plz dont tell me its just for evaping quicker.

But if the trikes stayed whole they would not be OIL it would just be hash and this is definatley a oil

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
No, the trichs do dissolve into the Iso bowlgrinder, you're correct on that.

I'm not sure what all the decanting talk is, unless it's oversaturation, like weedaholic said earlier, which I've had happen before in making Green Dragon.

But Iso, you wash and evap, no decanting, so I'm curious for more feedback from EBI too :confused:

Well if you go by the chemistry book definiton of "a solution", which from experience is what takes place is these extractions, is when the molecules of a particular solvent(here the isopropyl alcohol) surround the molecules of the solute(the thc, but also other contaminants). Now when the thc/contaminants exceed the limit the solvent can hold, then IMO some whole trichomes might get knocked off and settle to the bottom. Kinda of like a typical cold water extraction.

Thinking over Easy Bake Indicas method it seems that the combination of allowing the two layers to separate before purge and the lower amount of alcohol in the thc layer allows it to recombine into a more crystaline structure- i still need to try this but have to wait til friday for more bud

Any thoughts on this? id like to here your opinion on the matter EBI

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
Yes, but with second though... If you mess your trichs into the iso solution it would be very low quality, because all plant material has solved into iso, so no matter if you filter it, it´s going to be blacktar...

Maybe I stick with old qw method I use where the material is only couple seconds contact with iso :chin:

how ebi made this:
step 1 - fill jar with cannabis.
step 2 - pour alcohol over cannabis, cover jar with lid, and shake vigourously.
step 3 - pour solution out of jar, through a filter.
(Don't use a paper coffee filter, they catch too many trichomes. I like a cheesecloth, or cloth coffee strainer. The filter doesn't need to be too fine, since the cannabis is allready soaked, plant matter won't pass through a filter too easily.)
step 4 - let the filtered solution sit for 20-30 minutes in the fridge.
step 5 - pour off the top of the jar in to a separate container. you should be able to get rid of 90-95% of the rubbing alcohol while the trichomes stay anchored at the bottom.
step 6 - purge the solution, scrape up golden trichomes. allow to dry, and smoke.

fyi: the more alcohol you pour off, the more dry and kief-like your product will end up. If you pour off less, you will yield slightly more, but end up with a darker, sticky hash. My girlfriend prefers the latter version, while I'd rather just smoke the golden stuff.

No matter what, if you let that solution go from a homogeneous mix to a suspended solution, all of the trichomes (and any other heavy molecules) will sink to the bottom.

Imagine a glass of iced tea (i'm from the south). You can mix sugar grains into cold tea, but as soon if you let that solution sit still, you will see a thick layer of sugar form at the bottom of the glass.

You can do a 'quick-wash' with this method or you can let it soak in the ISO alcohol for as long as you wish (yes, the oil becomes black and tarry, but you're pouring that off and it becomes a 'by-product'. Also, you can make multiple runs using the same starting material. Usually, we do the first run QWISO, which is the purest. The second run is when I'll let the pot soak for as long as I can wait. You'd be shocked how much a first run can miss, even when you let the solution soal (not QWISO). A second run will almost always be worth it when using buds and I will be shocked if you can actually tell a difference from the trichomes extracted using a quick-wash, compared to the trichomes extracted letting them soak overnight.

After you pour off the alcohol, it becomes a 'by-product' (black oil). What you're left with is golden trichomes. The black oil never wants to purge properly after you let the pot soak for that long.

Now, some people love the black oil, and they have methods of running that stuff through activated carbon filters; sometimes ending up with red or green oil afterwards. I prefer the 'high' from the golden trichomes, myself.

Here's another batch I ran using some Jamaican:
bubbleebi_395056.jpg

bubbl4.jpg

bub1.jpg

That last picture shows what the end product looks like after you've poured off most of the alcohol
(the trichomes are still wet, but the iso evaporates quickly.)
This was not a quick wash. I let the Cannabis and the alcohol soak for at least an hour while I made dinner.
Then before serving dinner, I filtered and poured off the alcohol.
After dessert, it was ready to smoke. ;-)​

If some of you experts are still skeptical about this. Then let your post-wash solution sit for 20-30 minutes the next time you're making oil (I stick mine in the fridge so that the alcohol won't evaporate). Pour off the top of the solution and separate the bottom. You probably won't realize how much the trichomes have settled until after you've started pouring. Purge the alcohol from the top and smoke the resulting oil. I'd like someone else's opinion about how much psychoactivity they notice missing (my guess is around 80-90% of the potency is lost).

Last edited:

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
You throw away the oil?! Wow, interesting method. You're basically doing water hash with alcohol... and throwing away what most of us here consider the end product of ISO, the oil. I'm not sure I see the benefit, but thanks for detailing the technique!