What's new

QWISO Questions

F

ForbiddenFruit

Hello oil heads, I have a few questions about QWISO, and I am curious to hear peoples opinions.

I have made quick wash four or five times, and always had excellent results. The oil was always purged well, and it smoked perfectly as a result.

However my latest batch had some flaws, and I am here now, to narrow down what the potential problem was and correct it, for I am preparing to make another batch soon. So here is the outline.

My material is worthy trim, and small buds. All material is carefully broken up into an even consistency. The solvent is, 91% isopropyl alcohol.

First I freeze everything, the material and the solvent. In the meantime I prepare my laboratory.

My extraction tools consist of three identical mason jars, mesh strainer and coffee filters. Also a series of pyrex pie plates for evaporation, and clean razor blades for collection.

To start the extraction I pour the frozen solvent over the material, completely submerging it. I start the timer, 30 seconds. During the 30 second time frame, I agitate the mixture as vigorously as possible. Once finished, I strain through the fine mesh, into an empty vessel, where it awaits the final, coffee filter, filtration phase. When all filtration is complete, the concoction is then poured into pie plates, in a double boiler configuration. After evaporation has taken place, the oil is collected with a clean sharp razor.

Here is the problem. My last batch of oil didn't burn right, it tasted of solvent and would catch fire, I could barely smoke it. I can only derive a few reasons for this occurrence.

When I collected the oil, it was still gooey, as if it still had some form of liquid in. It wasn't hard stuck to plate, leaving me to believe it wasn't fully purged when I collected it.

My solvent wasn't pure enough. I noticed when cleaning with the 91% alcohol, that it left behind an obvious white residue. I wonder if this white substance some how ruined the batch. I thought that 91% was pure enough for quick wash extractions, but am unsure at this point.

The oil didn't purge at a high enough temperature. Maybe there wasn't enough heat to purge the oil properly.

I didn't do the wash long enough. Perhaps a longer wash is required, when using frozen materials.

The material wasn't dry enough. It is possible that my material wasn't "bone" dry, as is recommended.

Another complaint I had about the oil, was that it didn't pack that oil punch, that I had in the past. This oil gave me a sativa effect. I guess I should have expected this, as the material was mostly energizing smoke.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The white deposits are very likely water soluble deposits. 99% ISO works better.

I use 20 seconds in a frozen state and don't agitate vigorously for pretty consistent results.

Material can vary considerably as to how high a viscosity the oil it produces has. Relative humidity and outside temperature affect evaporation rates and end product as well.

You can check for residual solvent and water with a black light, or you can taste the oil for the sweet taste alcohol gives when vaporized.

PhatPhreddy420

Does the white residue have an oily texture?

Could be lanolin.

Some manufacturers add it to their iso to keep skin from drying too badly when applied topically and some municipalities require it in iso sold over the counter in their jurisdictions to prevent junkies from cleaning their needles for re-use.

F

ForbiddenFruit

Could be lanolin.

Some manufacturers add it to their iso to keep skin from drying too badly when applied topically and some municipalities require it in iso sold over the counter in their jurisdictions to prevent junkies from cleaning their needles for re-use.

Excellent information PhatPhreddy, this is exactly what I was looking for. Your information was my assumption. I figured for some reason, the particular brand I was using, added some sort of agent to the alcohol. Thank you for the information, more people should be aware of lanolin laced isopropyl.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Could be lanolin.

Some 70% rubbing alcohol does, but have you seen any in 91 or 99%?

D

dramamine

Makes sense to me. Even when I've tried making the 91% into anhydrous, there remains the mysterious white residue. I try to absorb it lightly into paper towels toward the end of the evaporation and usually get most of it up. The results are very nice; it's very hard for me to achieve nice glass (absolute) with this type alchohol, however.

In my area, 99% is not available over the counter. I'm trying to find an alternative solvent that won't also cost too much, but it makes me wonder what might be lurking in other solvents as well. Labels don't give all the info, it seems.

Last edited:

PhatPhreddy420

Some 70% rubbing alcohol does, but have you seen any in 91 or 99%?

In the 70%-almost always.

In the 91%-occasionally.

In the 99.953%-never.

Info was gleaned long ago and far away (the 90's in NYC), when music was still being recorded on long strips of acetate coated with rust.

Tape heads were cleaned as often as possible and we started to notice a white residue (turned out to be lanolin) that transferred to the tape and would cause speeds to fluctuate and drop-offs in the high frequency range.

We moved from 70% to 91% and that was fine for a while, being available over the counter.

A few containers of 91% popped up soon after with lanolin in them and we had to switch to the 99.953%.

The switch had a few drawbacks;
1-No local source
2-Smaller quantities and higher price
3-A bit of paperwork for shipping

J

juicepuddle

In the 70%-almost always.

In the 91%-occasionally.

In the 99.953%-never.

Info was gleaned long ago and far away (the 90's in NYC), when music was still being recorded on long strips of acetate coated with rust.

Tape heads were cleaned as often as possible and we started to notice a white residue (turned out to be lanolin) that transferred to the tape and would cause speeds to fluctuate and drop-offs in the high frequency range.

We moved from 70% to 91% and that was fine for a while, being available over the counter.

A few containers of 91% popped up soon after with lanolin in them and we had to switch to the 99.953%.

The switch had a few drawbacks;
1-No local source
2-Smaller quantities and higher price
3-A bit of paperwork for shipping

How much do you think you could purchase at once? Was anything required to get it other then fillin out some paperwork?

PhatPhreddy420

is there any way to tell if the iso your going to buy has lanolin? i buy 91%

Sometimes it was listed, sometimes not.
You can feel it though.
Pour some over your thumb and forefinger while rubbing them together.
You'll also see a white film on your fingers.

How much do you think you could purchase at once? Was anything required to get it other then fillin out some paperwork?

We were purchasing by the gallon, 1 at a time.
We were cleaning tape heads so we didn't need huge volume.
You could probably buy multiples.
Paperwork was BS, simply stated use and accepting charges for hazardous material shipping.

Manufacturer with a list of distributors

J

juicepuddle

Hey thanks alot :) <3

I am always looking for a cleaner extract!

F

ForbiddenFruit

Lanolin laced Isopropyl

Lanolin laced Isopropyl

Here are my findings about lanolin laced isopropyl.

Several of the major U.S. drug store chains, put lanolin in their name brand 91% isopropyl. I purchased 91% from two different chains, both brands contained lanolin. Tip, avoid drug store brand isopropyl, because many of them are not pure.

However, one of the major U.S. retail stores, (one of the "Marts"), carries a no name, perfectly clean 91% iso. I'm considering stocking up.

To test your 91% for lanolin contamination, I have found an effective screening method. Pour some of your alcohol on a paper towel, and continually wipe it in a circular motion on a piece of glass, or pyrex dish until it dries. If it contains lanolin, the glass will be covered with one large smear of white residue, very obvious. If its clean, there will be no residue formation at all.

Peace

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Based on its MSDS, Lanolin is not particularly toxic, with an LD-50 of greater than 16 grams per kilogram of body weight.

I wouldn't recommend inhaling it however, as it is shown as a lung irritant

Here is a cut and paste from a typical MSDS sheet for lanolin.

REVISION DATE: 24th September 2007
Lanolin
TOXIC DOSE 1 - LD 50 >16000 mg/kg (oral rat)
INHALATION
May irritate the respiratory system in high concentrations.
INGESTION
May cause discomfort if swallowed.
SKIN CONTACT
Powder may irritate skin.
EYE CONTACT
Particles in the eyes may cause irritation and smarting.

dgr

Here are my findings about lanolin laced isopropyl.

However, one of the major U.S. retail stores, (one of the "Marts"), carries a no name, perfectly clean 91% iso. I'm considering stocking up.

Forbidden,
I'm just curious as to the mindset behind that. Why wouldn't you just tell us what "Mart" you are referring to? Is it some secret or do we have to ask ;) If so, I'm asking.

While we are on the topic of safe solvents. I wanted to ask, is SLX denatured alcohol safe?

I used it last batch and got some really dark amber. I felt fine smoking it, I just wanted to be sure if I'm going to being doing this on a regular basis.

My method was:

Freeze material/alcohol.
grind up material and pour some frozen alcohol
Mix vigorously in a jar for 30 sec.
pour into coffee press
Pour through a strainer lined with a coffee filter and a paper towel into a pyrix dish.
Let it sit overnight then I took a hairdryer to it and scraped it. (maybe I'm not purging some unknowns by this???)

Next time I'm going to refreeze the material after grinding and slowly circulate the quick wash for 20 seconds.

Tokingham

The white stuff left over I do not think is anything other than the water. I have had ever clear leave the white looking stuff. It will breath off as the water evaps.