What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

QWET oil extraction

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
where does one normally obtain 190 proof ethanol?

thanks for the thread, would love to try this out. i think i may be able to get everclear at least. peace

edit: i googled and foudn the answer to my question. 190 proof everclear. i'll let you know if i can get it done. fondue pot?

Electric fondue pot with sensitive controls.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I like the Cuisinart too, and paid $60 for the first one at Kitchen Kaboddle, and $15 for the second at Goodwill.

$29.95 Rivals also work well enough, just not quite as narrow a control band around the 121C/250F area that we use a lot.

synax

Well tonight I was stirring 4g bubble hash and kief and my jar tipped over into the oil bath. (50ml pyrex beaker) I guess I'll put it aside until I can add more hash to it and make it useful. Had a little over a quart of vegetable oil for the bath. and to make things worse, I was just about to pull it out and add to some mct oil and honey for a tincture - was at about 7ml

Notes for next time: Use a wider jar for boiling the alcohol off as to not tip as easily.
Find a better thermometer that works well with a 250ml pyrex lab beaker.
Use more starting material for more return :)

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well tonight I was stirring 4g bubble hash and kief and my jar tipped over into the oil bath. (50ml pyrex beaker) I guess I'll put it aside until I can add more hash to it and make it useful. Had a little over a quart of vegetable oil for the bath. and to make things worse, I was just about to pull it out and add to some mct oil and honey for a tincture - was at about 7ml

Notes for next time: Use a wider jar for boiling the alcohol off as to not tip as easily.
Find a better thermometer that works well with a 250ml pyrex lab beaker.
Use more starting material for more return :)

Done that several times. The beaker floats free and rolls over as the liquid level drops. I usually use a heavier stainless cup to process small amounts.

I broke the bottoms out of several ball jars in an oil bath too, but was able to use the infused canola oil to successfully treat a dog with arthritis, after filtering out the glass.

woolybear

Veteran
so like if you decarbowhootsis, is the result which is good for medibles equally as good for smoking, or do you recommend another method?

i am checkin gout the banana ladyboys thread, but am having a hard time wrapping my head around the teapot concept :)

i have access to everclear 190 proof, and butane I'm sure. can you recommend a process to turn my dry product into oil that doesn't require insane equipment?

my apologies if this is a dump Q, but I've dipped into the whisky

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so like if you decarbowhootsis, is the result which is good for medibles equally as good for smoking, or do you recommend another method?

i am checkin gout the banana ladyboys thread, but am having a hard time wrapping my head around the teapot concept :)

i have access to everclear 190 proof, and butane I'm sure. can you recommend a process to turn my dry product into oil that doesn't require insane equipment?

my apologies if this is a dump Q, but I've dipped into the whisky

Actually, I don't recommend smoking at all, because of the carcinogenic byproducts of pyrolysis, but decarboxylated oil can also be smoked or vaporized. I prefer vaporization, as a better solution than smoking.

Decarboxylated oil will also have more CBN, so it is more sedative than oil still in the carboxylic acid state. For maximum head effect, oil that hasn't been decarboxylated has more head, than oil that has.

Decarboxylated oil also has less floral overtones, because many of the lighter monoterpenes are lost. Winterizing also reduces terpene content, but removes waxes that modify the flavor and coats the lungs and mouth. I prefer the taste and effects of oil with the waxes removed.

I would forget about a teapot, unless you live pretty far north like brother Jump, and use a thermos. It will stay liquid much longer than a non vacuum teapot at ambient temperatures, in these parts anyway.

The advantage of the thermos is its excellent control of soak time and that it lends itself to extracting fresh frozen material, better than a single pass column.

Another cheap easy way to extract with butane, is to use a packed column, which simply flows the butane through the material, instead of soaking it. At least one repack and follow up runs are required to obtain full extraction. Examples at:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=31950&highlight=extraction+dummies

Either a thermos or a column are relatively cheap from an equipment standpoint. I would personally use either one of those processes to extract the oil, and then winterize it with the Everclear to remove the waxes. In fact those were the processes that I did mostly use, before building any reclaim systems.

My second suggestion would be to do a QWET extraction, and compare the two. Both are delightful, for their own different reasons.

woolybear

Veteran
Actually, I don't recommend smoking at all, because of the carcinogenic byproducts of pyrolysis, but decarboxylated oil can also be smoked or vaporized. I prefer vaporization, as a better solution than smoking.

Decarboxylated oil will also have more CBN, so it is more sedative than oil still in the carboxylic acid state. For maximum head effect, oil that hasn't been decarboxylated has more head, than oil that has.

Decarboxylated oil also has less floral overtones, because many of the lighter monoterpenes are lost. Winterizing also reduces terpene content, but removes waxes that modify the flavor and coats the lungs and mouth. I prefer the taste and effects of oil with the waxes removed.

I would forget about a teapot, unless you live pretty far north like brother Jump, and use a thermos. It will stay liquid much longer than a non vacuum teapot at ambient temperatures, in these parts anyway.

The advantage of the thermos is its excellent control of soak time and that it lends itself to extracting fresh frozen material, better than a single pass column.

Another cheap easy way to extract with butane, is to use a packed column, which simply flows the butane through the material, instead of soaking it. At least one repack and follow up runs are required to obtain full extraction. Examples at:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=31950&highlight=extraction+dummies

Either a thermos or a column are relatively cheap from an equipment standpoint. I would personally use either one of those processes to extract the oil, and then winterize it with the Everclear to remove the waxes. In fact those were the processes that I did mostly use, before building any reclaim systems.

My second suggestion would be to do a QWET extraction, and compare the two. Both are delightful, for their own different reasons.

Gray Wolf you are an extremely helpful individual and I highly appreciate the response! Time to get a thermos!

G

Guest 224837

qwet is much better for large volume extractions. running pounds through a butane setup takes forever.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so im gonna do a huge bubble extraction, so u think the best would be to use alcohol? oppose to butane?

Define large bubble extraction.

If you are starting with bubble hash, there is no reason not to use alcohol, as most of the chlorophyl and water solubles have been taken out of the equasion.

A thermos soak using butane would produce a more pristine extract, if it were later winterized with alcohol, but it takes a couple of hours in cold butane and minutes in cold ethanol to fully dissolve the trichomes.

You can also use more agitation with an ethanol soak than with a butane soak open to atmosphere.

Lastly, a well made QWET has far more floral over and under tones, than does a non polar extraction like butane or hexane.

Ok_nobody

IMO, on QWET vs Absolute Amber from Butane, the QWET is more narcotic while the AA is more uplifting, when using the same starting bubble.

B

B. Self Reliant

so im gonna do a huge bubble extraction, so u think the best would be to use alcohol? oppose to butane?

I just started washing ounces of SoCal commercial-grade BHO with ethanol. It's a very easy process & I'd imagine washing bubble hash would be equally as easy & rewarding.

The first time I dropped an once of BHO into 500 ml of ethanol it wouldn't dissolve after a certain point. Regardless of how much I shook, there were still solid globs floating around. I added another 250 ml of ethanol & gave it a shake and it was gone instantly.

I now use 3/4 liter ethanol per ounce of resin that's being re-washed and it seems to work well. I've never used butane, but I'm sure someone would be able to tell you roughly how much you'd need to dissolve X grams of bubble hash.

woolybear

Veteran
hi B self Reliant,

thanks for the rep comment and for reminding me to try out QWET. I can easily get 190 Everclear, I'm wondering about the alcohol reclamation process as shown in this photo:

recovering-alcohol.jpg

EDIT: I see that the a still-type device is is used. This is an asparagus cooker with a nipple installed.

asparagus-cooker-assembled-1.jpg

So it looks like the vapor goes up thru the nipple into a hose, which goes to a bunch of copper coils with ice, whereupon the alkhol distills and drains below:

alcohol-recovery-unit.jpg

So for my first try I'll skip this step. Heh

another questions:

"The oil is useable at this point, but to make an even more pristine extraction out of it, we wash it out of the pot with at least ten volumes of alcohol and using a funnel, pour that liquid into a jar or bottle, seal it, and place that in the freezer"

How much is a 'volume' in this case? Does one volume = the amount of oil?

Last edited:

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ten volumes means that for each gram of oil, you use ten grams of EtOH.

a6grow

Graywolf:

I am at my wit's end and after a third failed attempt, I gotta ask you and ICMag! Basically I followed your QWET to make oil and am trying make the BHO pills and have trouble dissolving the oil into the coconut oil.

I only have access to Bacardi 151, and have previously made tincture using your QWET tutorial. This time around I am trying BHO pills. I used shake for experimental purposes (5 g's only), and basically after extraction, I scrap up all the oil and refrigerate for about 30 minutes to let it cool down and harden. The oil before and after refrigeration is a dark black, totally non-transparent. I preheated my coconut oil to 250F, but when I drop the oil in, it does not dissolve and just floats in the coconut oil. I tried going above 250F, but no dice.

Do you know why the oil is not dissolving in the coconut oil? Am I doing something wrong? What would be a proper way to make BHO pills with coconut oil, using oil extracted via your QWET tutorial?

picture.php

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Graywolf:

I am at my wit's end and after a third failed attempt, I gotta ask you and ICMag! Basically I followed your QWET to make oil and am trying make the BHO pills and have trouble dissolving the oil into the coconut oil.

I only have access to Bacardi 151, and have previously made tincture using your QWET tutorial. This time around I am trying BHO pills. I used shake for experimental purposes (5 g's only), and basically after extraction, I scrap up all the oil and refrigerate for about 30 minutes to let it cool down and harden. The oil before and after refrigeration is a dark black, totally non-transparent. I preheated my coconut oil to 250F, but when I drop the oil in, it does not dissolve and just floats in the coconut oil. I tried going above 250F, but no dice.

Do you know why the oil is not dissolving in the coconut oil? Am I doing something wrong? What would be a proper way to make BHO pills with coconut oil, using oil extracted via your QWET tutorial?

View Image

What temperature is your QWET oil when you mix it with the coconut oil?

a6grow

What temperature is your QWET oil when you mix it with the coconut oil?

Hey GW:

Through my various attempts, I have tried:

a) QWET oil hot off the extraction process and mixed with room temperature coconut oil
b) QWET oil hot off the extraction process and mixed with 250F temperature coconut oil
c) Refrigerated for 30min, cooled/hardened QWET oil and mixed with 250F temperature coconut oil.

In all 3 cases, the QWET oil I made just really seems to be incompatible with the coconut oil and does not want to dissolve at all.

Also, not sure if this helps, but one thing I noticed was when cooking down the 151, it was initially a dark greenish 151 color, towards the very end it turns a somewhat milky color, then at the end it evaporates to the pools of oil.

Any ideas?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey GW:

Through my various attempts, I have tried:

a) QWET oil hot off the extraction process and mixed with room temperature coconut oil
b) QWET oil hot off the extraction process and mixed with 250F temperature coconut oil
c) Refrigerated for 30min, cooled/hardened QWET oil and mixed with 250F temperature coconut oil.

In all 3 cases, the QWET oil I made just really seems to be incompatible with the coconut oil and does not want to dissolve at all.

Also, not sure if this helps, but one thing I noticed was when cooking down the 151, it was initially a dark greenish 151 color, towards the very end it turns a somewhat milky color, then at the end it evaporates to the pools of oil.

Any ideas?

Heat the cannabis oil itself up to over 180F and try mixing. It won't mix well cold.

The milky phase is water evaporating off.

a6grow

Heat the cannabis oil itself up to over 180F and try mixing. It won't mix well cold.

I dabbed oil in the middle of a pyrex cup to heat/melt it down, and then poured 250F heated coconut oil into the cup and mixed. Only a minimal amount of QWET oil dissolved and turned the coconut oil dark, while the rest of the QWET oil was simply all resin-like and just gunked up like before. This was similar to my previous 3 attempts, but it seemd that this time around a tiny bit more QWET oil dissolved after heating it up then mixing with the coconut oil. Any other pointers? Is the resin-like QWET oil (that is not dissolving) because of too much plant waxes, etc due to using weak ethanol (151) and only low THC leaves (shake)? Basically an inefficient ethanol extraction?

picture.php