What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

QWET oil extraction

PDX Dopesmoker

The cost isn't all that bad if you're doing good flower, but yeah I blew $16 on a 750 of Everclear over the summer to recover about a gram or two of dark (but really excellent) oil from a QP of trim I'd already dry sifted a bunch of kief out of.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks .. was wondering if the extra cost of the grape (for some reason), is worth it.

As with any endeavor, there is no doubt a group of brothers and sisters who are convinced one or the other is the holy grail, but not to me.

Methanol comes from fruit pectin, so ostensibly grapes produce more methanol, but it should be removed in the heads, along with the ethyl acetate, long before reaching azeotropic 95.6% purity.

woolybear

Veteran
ETOH is ETOH. I couldn't believe that a youtuber thought "organic" grape alcohol was "better" than everclear. Its the same product at the end.

I've been making QWET for a couple of years now, and have tried many types of extracts including CO2 for the first time recently. None of the other methods product "better" product than QWET extractions IMO.

the CO2 extraction (done commercially and purchased in a legal shop), supposedly of gorilla glue, looked great, but I couldn't tell you that it was gorilla glue. I would describe the taste and effects as "regular dab oil," nothing special at all.

My ETOH extractions end up costing me about $3 a gram (not including the 'cost' of homegrown cannabis), pretty good compared to $30 1/2 gram at the shops for the co2.

Note that I haven't perfected my process, i should get that in line rather than slopping a bunch of booze into a jar and shaking up some buds.

PDX Dopesmoker

…Note that I haven't perfected my process, i should get that in line rather than slopping a bunch of booze into a jar and shaking up some buds.

No, it sounds like you've perfected it to me. I gently hand separate the buds into smaller chunks to give the liquor more access to the interior surfaces of the flowers before slopping in the cold booze and shaking it up. Hows that for snazzy?

0zymurgy

Drawback form from fed keeps Etoh cost down

Drawback form from fed keeps Etoh cost down

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
I've been making QWET for a couple of years now, and have tried many types of extracts including CO2 for the first time recently. None of the other methods product "better" product than QWET extractions IMO.

Wisdom. Been on this road a while, and things keep on gettin' easier.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
to that point...
The ATF has this thing called a 'drawback form'.

[/FONT]For purposes related to non-recreational use, you can fill out a form and get your taxes returned to you. As in pay-no-excise-tax. This is how the perfume industry runs.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://ttb.gov/applications/pdf/mnbp.pdf

[/FONT]http://www.ttb.gov/forms_tutorials/f56208b/faq_instructions1.html

[/FONT]

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

Wisdom. Been on this road a while, and things keep on gettin' easier.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
to that point...
The ATF has this thing called a 'drawback form'.

[/FONT]For purposes related to non-recreational use, you can fill out a form and get your taxes returned to you. As in pay-no-excise-tax. This is how the perfume industry runs.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://ttb.gov/applications/pdf/mnbp.pdf

[/FONT]http://www.ttb.gov/forms_tutorials/f56208b/faq_instructions1.html

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We used to do that in our industrial lab, but every drop had to be logged out and accounted for. We didn't use that much and were never audited, sooo not sure how stringently they monitor it.

[/FONT]

FuturePharma

Thanks Sforza. Did the original instructions say to cover vessels in the fondue pot as you do? One advantage of the MegaHome still is that it shuts off automatically. Then I added Etoh again and boil off in the fondue pot. The original oil comes out amber, then darkens when adding Organic 190 Etoh. Are others not concerned about the color, because I thought GW was suggesting it should be lighter? Remember, I was not using high quality trim on this first trial, but the brown oil sure seemed great!

Sforza

Veteran
No, I don't think GW's original instructions mentioned capturing the ethanol, but the pictures that accompanied the instructions showed a tube leading down to what looked like an ice bath, so that gave me the inspiration to capture the vapor and condense it so that I could reuse the ethanol for additional extractions. Each time I do an extraction, there are loses, but it is nice to be able to use the ethanol for multiple extractions. I don't think that it matters if the ethanol is called organic. It is water and alcohol, whether it is organic or just plain old Everclear. Of course, if I remember my Organic Chemistry, alcohol is a hydrocarbon molecule, so it is all organic, as opposed to inorganic. So far as i can tell, it is mainly people who are ignorant of chemistry, such as yuppie housewives, who are most concerned about organic this or that. I think from the perspective of someone who has studied chemistry, a molecule is a molecule.

My oil is a dark green. But it is translucent, so it when spread on a rolling paper, it looks almost clear. GW showed that if you put the alcohol and dissolved oil solution out in the bright sunlight, the sunlight will degrade the green chlorophyll leaving a light tan solution. Presumably, when the alcohol is evaporated off, the oil would be a nice light tan color. I haven't tried it myself, since I don't care what color the oil is, as long as it works, but it was interesting.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No, I don't think GW's original instructions mentioned capturing the ethanol, but the pictures that accompanied the instructions showed a tube leading down to what looked like an ice bath, so that gave me the inspiration to capture the vapor and condense it so that I could reuse the ethanol for additional extractions. Each time I do an extraction, there are loses, but it is nice to be able to use the ethanol for multiple extractions. I don't think that it matters if the ethanol is called organic. It is water and alcohol, whether it is organic or just plain old Everclear. Of course, if I remember my Organic Chemistry, alcohol is a hydrocarbon molecule, so it is all organic, as opposed to inorganic. So far as i can tell, it is mainly people who are ignorant of chemistry, such as yuppie housewives, who are most concerned about organic this or that. I think from the perspective of someone who has studied chemistry, a molecule is a molecule.

My oil is a dark green. But it is translucent, so it when spread on a rolling paper, it looks almost clear. GW showed that if you put the alcohol and dissolved oil solution out in the bright sunlight, the sunlight will degrade the green chlorophyll leaving a light tan solution. Presumably, when the alcohol is evaporated off, the oil would be a nice light tan color. I haven't tried it myself, since I don't care what color the oil is, as long as it works, but it was interesting.

The pressure in our still is relatively low, so the boiling points are not significantly raised by reclaim.

EtOH is the simple alkane ethane (C-2), with one oxygen atom added on one end. Nothing but carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen.

Light green lends itself to sun bleaching, by dark green does not and makes the extract harsh to dab.

If you are excessively green, you might try colder temperatures and less time.

Here s the still I originally used. Joe also has a Megahome still and we usually use a Hiedolph rotovape for gross alcohol removal now.

https://skunkpharmresearch.com/alcohol-reclaim-still/

PDX Dopesmoker

back in February I was making a batch and I was watching the last phase of evaporation (I do this out in the open with a space heater blowing on the collation plate from about 4' away. The air temp over the tray is about 85º) and once most of the fluid was gone there was a small amount remaining that was opaque, pale beige/pinkish and a water-like consistency.
Do y'all think I correct in assuming that the last bit of fluid stuff was water saturated with (water soluble) stuff I don't want in my oil and that I should have poured it off rather than letting it evaporate?
There was about 5-10ml of this left over after evaporating about 150ml of Everclear and of course 5% water content would be 5-10ml after the alcohol is evaporated away (plus I think I'm picking up some extra water from atmospheric condensation on the surface of my cold alcohol as it drains and on the inside of chilled glass jars that get used).

FuturePharma

In re reading your instructions Gray Wolf you mentioned using 3 1/2 gal jars. Is it OK to use a gal jar, and if so how much can I fill it up?

Also, as the ETOH coms in HDPE, can I use a gallon HDPE jar to avoid breakage?

Does the 200 degree oven used for drying decarb it, and as the mixture in a 250 degree oil bath still only boils at 170, does that decarb it either?
Thank you very much, I am trying the third batch!

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In re reading your instructions Gray Wolf you mentioned using 3 1/2 gal jars. Is it OK to use a gal jar, and if so how much can I fill it up?

Also, as the ETOH coms in HDPE, can I use a gallon HDPE jar to avoid breakage?

Does the 200 degree oven used for drying decarb it, and as the mixture in a 250 degree oil bath still only boils at 170, does that decarb it either?
Thank you very much, I am trying the third batch!

Gallon jars are fine. HDPE and EtOH are fully compatible.

PDX Dopesmoker

This is a photo of my latest batch of Everclear dabbage. I'm posting it because it was made with a much longer wash than the conventional 3 minute rinse, this one soaked for over an hour in the freezer and it wasn't even all that good material (mediocre flower which had already been ground and cold sifted for trichomes) and I used a shitty filter and yet still these nice clear, relatively pale (shows up looking a little darker in the photo than it does in IRL), fully melting, very potent & tasty and nowhere near FECO/RSO dabs result. My freezer is a little colder than average so maybe thats the difference, but I pull substantially larger returns with longer washes and it doesn't seem to impact the quality terribly.
I was once told by an inebriated skunkpharmer that the processes happening during a cold ethanol wash are a function of the temperature, so maybe one day we will have a chart or function that correlates freezer temperature to wash time.
I dub this new tek Long Soak Ethanol AKA LSE (not because it deserves it's own name, but because LSE is a cool name)
sP4nFks.jpg

FuturePharma

How are the instructions different for the second run of material?

How are the instructions different for the second run of material?

I.e do we need to freeze it and how long to soak for the second run?

Also, if the freezer is -20F for the first run, should we adjust the 3 minute soak time?

On another note: I am wandering the laberinthine Rabbit Hole of how to vape this oleoresin? (read your post as well: https://skunkpharmresearch.com/portable-pen-vaporizers/)

I found a good temp controlled mod box but what cartomizer is recommended?

Could I just thin/homogenize it with ETOH without an expensive homogenizer?

This group has prevented eons of reinventing the wheel!

axle2u

hey there, Wolfman Jack

very nice read, I appreciate the time you spent
to share this information with us dummies......lol

ive dabbled myself recently this year
6 or 7 times trying to make my own oil...
with some success...ive always used pure bud

im going to try some of your methods in the process
and run a batch see how it goes.....im at the trial and error stage

I want to experiment with different colors of cannabis resin oil
and definitely different flavors...

and I always like to smoke it, carefully spread on a paper, rolled up
us guys used to call em oilers....or slick 50s, grease...grease monkey
lotsa nics for these.....lol

that being said, Wolf

have you ever tried to produce a certain flavor with your oil extracts ?
and what was your best flavor you made in your opinion...?

and also, what was your favorite, absolute best oil you've made
describe it to us please, what it looked like, smelt like, taste like
and any hints of the strain used ?

that would be an awesome share...

thanks so much

your friendly neighbourhood,
-axle robot

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I.e do we need to freeze it and how long to soak for the second run?

Also, if the freezer is -20F for the first run, should we adjust the 3 minute soak time?

On another note: I am wandering the laberinthine Rabbit Hole of how to vape this oleoresin? (read your post as well: https://skunkpharmresearch.com/portable-pen-vaporizers/)

I found a good temp controlled mod box but what cartomizer is recommended?

Could I just thin/homogenize it with ETOH without an expensive homogenizer?

This group has prevented eons of reinventing the wheel!

Yes, it needs to be frozen. Unfrozen, the ethanol extracts copious quantities of chlorophyll.

Three minutes is just a good starting place and and is a good place to start watching for color.

I typically use an electric nail with no cart.

Mixing with EtOH doesn't require an homogenizer. That was for use with VG.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey there, Wolfman Jack

very nice read, I appreciate the time you spent
to share this information with us dummies......lol

ive dabbled myself recently this year
6 or 7 times trying to make my own oil...
with some success...ive always used pure bud

im going to try some of your methods in the process
and run a batch see how it goes.....im at the trial and error stage

I want to experiment with different colors of cannabis resin oil
and definitely different flavors...

and I always like to smoke it, carefully spread on a paper, rolled up
us guys used to call em oilers....or slick 50s, grease...grease monkey
lotsa nics for these.....lol

that being said, Wolf

have you ever tried to produce a certain flavor with your oil extracts ?
and what was your best flavor you made in your opinion...?

and also, what was your favorite, absolute best oil you've made
describe it to us please, what it looked like, smelt like, taste like
and any hints of the strain used ?

that would be an awesome share...

thanks so much

your friendly neighbourhood,
-axle robot

I've never tried to produce vaping flavors, only to extract and preserve the natural flavors present.

I don't have a favorite, but typically make pull and snap shatter and an almost colorless clear from Skywalker was the most interesting to look at and Cheese or Agent Orange the most aromatic and flavorful.

I used to coat the inside of papers by thinning the concentrate with a little ethanol, but I don't smoke any more in deference to my lungs, so stick to an electric nail.

The secret to light colors, is fresher material and subzero extraction to avoid the longer chain molecules like plant waxes, b carotene, chlorophyll, and phenophytin.

axle2u

wolfman,

thankyou for the advise, friend
I might try some skywalker, just on your suggestion, for interesting color
and agent orange, for flavor...

I remember 90s, a dude had some honey oil, just a grammy of it
....and very expensive for the time, 1 pin drop, your were buzzed....I swear

clear in color.....cant remember the tast, but I do remember those specifics

-axle robot

-axle robot

axle2u

Cold boil using vacuum, and catch with a cold trap.

You will save more of the aromatics, but will end up with gin in your recovery vessel, that is rife with monoterpenes.

hello again, gray wolf

when you say "cold boil"...what is that..?
butane...boiling off at room temps...?

and how would the vacuum set up work..
whats it do...? function..?

thanks

axle robot