What's new

Quit Alcohol - Support Thread

Rob547

East Coast Grower
Veteran
First 24 hours... check! Gotta start somewhere right?

Yeah bad habits die hard, just got outta work and just want a delicious beer.

NYE I had a little too much to drink.. mai tais, jungle juice made with grain alcohol, whatever else I drank. Needless to say I felt like death for the next 24 hours or so once I woke up. Getting too old to feel that horrible, plus sometimes I have weird pains in my body and shit, just no good.
Took a break over the summer, think I made it about 2 weeks or so before starting up again. Just kinda escalated from there til I was back at it almost every day, (plus holidays, birthday, etc) at least a few a day but not getting wasted.

lets keep this thread going! :smoke:

relic1981

Veteran
yeah the older i get the less my body can handle alcohol and the more herb i puff. i thought i might smoke less as i aged but noe. i try and limit myself to 2 grams a day on avg... depending on how im feeling it can be more but i think its better to smoke and eat alot of ganj rather than drinking and what not. it really is a life saver!

DarthFader1

Veteran
I don't think believe ppl should should beat themselves up too much if there is a relapse. I believe the more important thing is not to compound the relapse by carrying it on. I tried stopping drinking for ages before going this long. Just start the count again and keep trying, NEVER GIVE UP and succumb to the cravings. FWIW after the first month or so for me the cravings pretty much stopped. I still get the occasional thought to have a drink but to be honest i don't miss it at all now and am quite pleased with how im doing so far.

I don't think i was an alcoholic yet but there is no doubt in my mind that is where i would be headed if i continued drinking. It sneaks up on you like a motherf*****, and i drink hard, son. If i had to choose between alcohol & herb, it wouldn't even be a choice for me the herb would get the call up with ease. Even though herb is not the greatest thing to abuse either and carries with it its own set of problems, but used properly and in moderation, herb is the godamnn bees knees, the nuts, a total saviour. Alcohol has very little upside imo completely kills the internal body and kills the user in the end in alot of cases.

Mr Fortune would you mind sharing your approximate age with us? Just the decade would do, im interested to know what age you have reached this serious crossroads at..

I'll keep popping into this thread now and then as well, i think its a good idea.

cheers y'all
darth

S

SPG*

Wasn't the Alcohol that Killed Mum it was Smoking and Emphazema at the young age of 68
She'd been a drinker of wine everyday for easily over 30 yrs Mainly because of constant Verbal Diarrohea from not far away

Mr cc stick at it. I'm at 20 days :). ... Think of ya liver and for me ESPECIALLY the Pancreas
I.e. Hospitalized 5 times with Pancreatitis through Alcohol

^ If you Drink everyday/allow yourself too you are Alcoholic simple as

Found my "first admission" Discharge Summary. :D, Which was 25/04/2008.My 5th and last admission (touch wood) was a couple of days before Christmas 2009. TBH i Was barmy and careless During them 2 yrs [to a degree] and Especially after mums Departure-Nov 3rd 2008
picture.php

"Acute Pancreatitis"

S

SPG*

Quitting drinking sure has its benefits ;-) Not only on the Pocket but ya overall health too :)
I'm so much more active/fitter now and find tasks easier without getting out of breath like before.look better too!

relic1981

Veteran
Green Tea and Kush is where it's at ! ....Feeling good... Fuck Alcohol!

respect to the QuitAlcohol massive :yes:

edit: was just thinking about the fact that i'm interested in reading IC and growing again for the first time in months cause i'm not drinking and apparently getting my brain back! Hahaha, had to share that...

nice! yeah alcohol is horrible for our brain chemistry. creates rebound anxiety and depression... its a really bad drug. i always trip over how can alcohol be legal and herb so demonized. and some peoples argument is do you really want another drug available? well yes i do plus herb is already here and, its been here for thousands of years and will be here for thousands more.

B

Baked Alaskan

Im probably wrong here but I think alcohol is bacteria excrement, so I can see how it is bad for us.

meadowman

sober over 5 years now, 1/2 gallon vodka a night, beer at work, every day. i don't miss it a bit, took a lot of pain to get here though. it still amazes me how i couldn't see it was a problem. good luck to all!!!

Classic Seeds

Veteran
hi strawbrrygirl .that makes you one of the lucky drinkers ,as long as it does not mess a person up like it did me and so many others all I can say is enjoy yourself and take a cab or have a sober friend drive if your out and about partying or stay home and out of the car all together .nothing wrong with anything a person can handle without doing harm to themselves or others one persons pleasure can be another persons poison aloha classic

So many awesome comments..
nice! yeah alcohol is horrible for our brain chemistry. creates rebound anxiety and depression... its a really bad drug. i always trip over how can alcohol be legal and herb so demonized. and some peoples argument is do you really want another drug available? well yes i do plus herb is already here and, its been here for thousands of years and will be here for thousands more.

The depression and anxiety are so common in society as alcohol is, then people look for pharmaceuticals to heal the side effects of alcohol.Crazy vicious cycle.. I'm having some insomnia issues as short term withdrawals, it's so easy to find excuses to drink..

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

the liver is evil and
must be punished.

early '80s I had a drinking problem I didn't recognize or wouldn't acknowledge, I only drank one or two nights a week (having to work the other 5-6 nights) but I seemed to get into trouble on those nights. I rationalized it was just my bad luck as I was sober & trouble free all the rest of the time.

No matter where a drinking problem steals from your life or the lives of family members (especially dependents) then it's out of hand, you've lost control. This is where the drug controls you instead of you controlling the drug, alcohol is most def a drug.

I quit cocaine & liquor by distancing myself from it and replacing the habit with a renewed interest in hunting & fishing; removed bad habits, then replaced it with those hobbies I enjoyed & desired.

I can have some Sambuca in my coffee, about twice a week, no more, I never keep beer in the house but will have one on a hot day, under control.

You can't take something away from an addict w/o replacing it with something else, and in my case it wasn't God although I did beg him to help me in some of my darkest hours.......

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Nice work CC! No beers for me since Sunday, however many days that is. I'm enjoying not drinking, and making an effort, but thus far, I'm not even really feeling like beers these past few days.

Last night, I learned about a last-minute change in this morning's plans, which meant I'd be able to go to the gym before work in the morning.

Normally I'd have been drinking on a Thursday night, which would have meant I'd sleep in and skip the gym, despite the opportunity.

Instead, I was bright-eyed and chipper this morning at 6 and at the gym. :D

Felt like a nice treat for not having been drinking on Thursday night.

(Did that make any sense?)

Yeah man, so much better not to be all dizzy and confused. Got some nice nugs this week and hopefully Ill go boarding again tomorrow. Nothing like burning and flying down the mountain on a snowboard. It's so nice to know you won't feel all nauseated and unstable the next day. It also is easier to drink lighter beers and drink less when I'm not drinking and am exercising, working out cardio every day helps so much. Running, or anything that moves your core for over an hour is key. I'm also craving less junk and alcohol in general by cutting sugars and starches. Just eating more proteins and vegetables. My goal is to drink less than a sixpack this weekend..

B

beakermuppet

great thread........I need to take a break from drinking for sure.......Don't do it alot, and don't get into trouble........But it's f'n up my study habits for school..........Brain doesn't work as well the next day.....found alot of inspiration in this thread.

Keep up the good work everyone!!!

Beaker

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Woke up at 7 this morning to wake up with the baby. (Little dude is almost 6 months, holy crap! :yoinks: )

We're chilin' now, me with some coffee (and Deathstar :D ), him in his little baby gym, rolling over like crazy, mom is upstairs sleeping.

Pretty sure I wouldn't be spending this time if I were all hungover and laid up in bed. :greenstars:

B

BigHit

I was going to drink couple of beers today. Not anymore, great stuff here.

My couple means a lot more than couple.

silver hawaiian

Veteran
^yeah it's cool to know many other like minded heads are trying the same "lifestyle change"..

we are also at an advantage cause we know of the good herb!!

It doesn't hurt (edit: duh), that's for sure. :D

I'm reminded of a trick my sister-in-law used to quit smoking; When she'd jones for a cigarette, she'd instead think like this:

"Man, I'm glad I don't have to go outside in the cold to smoke. ..Man, I'm glad I won't have to wash my hands and stink when I come in.. Man, I'm glad my clothes don't reek anymore.."

So while any desire to drink has been pretty low lately, I do find myself playing a similar game with myself - "You're going to wake up and feel like shit.. You're going to have to take all those damned bottles back to the store.. Your workout is gonna be shitty at the gym tomorrow.." :dunno:

A lot of it comes down to me just taking the plunge and settling in for the evening WITHOUT a beer. After the first ten minutes, I'm not really missing anything. I think a lot of times, I get bored (easily) and decide to drink, because, wtfnot?!

Anyway - so far so good. ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts