What's new

Quit Alcohol - Support Thread

T

ThirstyKenny

Too true mate. Too true

Edit- We have it here in Oz too. It's called 'tall poppy syndrom' as soon as someone starts to get ahead or even lift there head there is always some bastard ready to try and chop you down. That's how i see the term. Could have an entirely different meaning lol.
I'm on the net alot at all hrs GreenHills and if you're serious and ever want someone to chat too you can pm me anytime. I joke about most things but not this subject.

jm420

Veteran
you may think I'm an ass but AA is only a church or ymca away ,,
fuck that i love my buds and bud lite,

T

ThirstyKenny

Thanks very much mpd. Great to meet you. Gday there jm420. No not an arse(we say arse :D ) at all mate. Whatever works i reckon :)

G

GreenHills

Thanks for the feedback. It is greatly appreciated. I just come from a different place than most people might be used too. Where we are from people work hard and they drink hard and they expect the same of those around them. I don't really consider myself an alcoholic by any means, but I have been abusing alcohol with the black outs that have just started recently. It's so scary to wake up the next day and not have any memory of what happened the night before and that's why I decided to stop drinking because this happened several times in recent months. To people I hang out with though this is completely normal behavior. Not remembering anything just means you did it right. That's what people told me when I expressed my concerns. So I don't know. I am just going to try to not hang out with anyone as much as I can.

T

ThirstyKenny

It's all choices mate. Alot of us grew up in the times of hard drinking n fighting where you were not considered a man unless you could drink, fight and fuck. What a wank! A real man has integrity and can make a decision without worrying about what other people think and is guided by his morals.
It's up to you. You can be a non drinker,social drinker or in 20 years time the old guy at the bar falling asleep with piss running down his leg. Sure you can become a hermit too if thats your choice

G

GreenHills

Nah i'm committed to not drinking. That's what I've decided for myself I Just need to have a little more backbone when it comes to dealing with the regulars from the neighborhood. I'm working on it.

T

ThirstyKenny

HEHE. The hardest part i'm guessing for you is gonna be the first time or 2 that you sit there drinking something non alcoholic while your mates are having 'fun'. Stay strong and watch at the end of the night how your mates are acting. It'll start to turn you off it.
Also it's such a STRONG thing to do, and each time you do it you will feel stronger still. You'll find that once you have a hold over this addiction your life will start to play out a little better and remember NO-ONE likes a drunk. Everybody likes a nice guy. It is an addiction, but probably the easier and quicker of them to get through.

N

noyd666

:biggrin: sorry greenhills jussttt joking, i gave up smoking and drinking on the same day about 8 years ago, cold turky, last 4 years just at xmas that sort of thing, i dont have the taste or urge to want to smoke or drink , can still polish off 12 stubbys pretty quick with my sons, but i dont have the need i once had.:peek:

G

GreenHills

I think the hardest part for me is that around here drinking is a very social activity. We have our bars, we have our bartenders, they know us, they knew our fathers. Just have to break the cycle!

T

ThirstyKenny

Yep thats the key noydy. Drinking because you are enjoying it and not because of the feeling of peer group pressure or 'needing' it to cope. I'd love to have a beer or 2 with ya someday mate. If your lads are like their old man it makes for a ripper of a day. They reckon the apple don't fall far from the tree ;)

N

noyd666

bartenders and publicans friends have all died of booze related diseases lol.

G

GreenHills

ANYWAY - I definitely appreciate the support. Good peeps at ICMag!

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
just a rare shot of something high proof is good for me,, beer in large quantities, binging, or over long periods of time is just a waste of time/money and life.. and i stopped when, like you, i started drawing complete blanks about whole periods of time.. which definitely is different from being hammered and having a blurred recollection..

supermanlives

Veteran
good luck to any battling the beast. I had to go to aa a few times . hated it and the whole concept of needing a god to help you.i didn't need any god to quit all the drugs I did when younger. I just said fuck this and quit. no praying involved

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
Fuck,.... My real problem is that I like good beer, and I've got a whole LOT of friends who homebrew or work at a brewery.

weekends are hardest for me. Down right impossible for me to trudge thru yard work or run the smoker grill without a frosty cold beverage. I guess it's easier if I'm out flying RC airplanes or shooting,... but both those hobbies are WAY more expensive than having a drink while working in the yard. :eek::