What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Quick Question - Should i trim back roots in Root Riot Cubes?

Hi All

I have cuttings that i have left to long in RR cubes, the roots are around 4-10" long.

Should i trim them back before i transplant them into bigger rockwool cubes or should i just leave them be and force them into the hole into the rockwool?

Thanks

sdd420

Veteran
Hi All

I have cuttings that i have left to long in RR cubes, the roots are around 4-10" long.

Should i trim them back before i transplant them into bigger rockwool cubes or should i just leave them be and force them into the hole into the rockwool?

Thanks

I used to split the cube in half and put in cube with seedling at desired height and then let roots come out the bottom, never a problem. Don’t damage any roots especially the tap root

I used to split the cube in half and put in cube with seedling at desired height and then let roots come out the bottom, never a problem. Don’t damage any roots especially the tap root

They are cuttings mate with VERY long roots (no tap roots etc).

It seems from reply above that i have to try and delicatly put the mass of root into the small hole in the Rockwool cubes.

I have never let them get this long before, i presumed they might rot as there's so much of them.

cheers

imiubu

They are cuttings mate with VERY long roots (no tap roots etc).

It seems from reply above that i have to try and delicatly put the mass of root into the small hole in the Rockwool cubes.

I have never let them get this long before, i presumed they might rot as there's so much of them.

cheers

When I ran hydro and cuts/ seedlings roots grew too long, I would hold the roots over top/ inside the rock wool 'hole' longest roots touching the bottom and slowly lowering while giving the rooting cube/ clone a twirl. If some roots began to pop out of the top of the hole, I gently guided them in with my finger.
Never had an issue breaking roots off this way. Clones/ seedlings never skipped a beat either.

Best O luck.