What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

question on sativas / sativa-indica hybrids growth

lx4

I have some experience with growing indicas, which I always expected to produce dense buds, while the size of the plant is rather small. Recently I had grown a blueberry cupcake (hybrid, ratio not known) and was really surprised to see how it grew - massive stretching of branches when changing light to 12/12 to initiate flowering, very long branches with big internodes, and popcorn buds all over. The buds were nothing like I had seen before with pure indica strains. The very same I have at the moment with a Gorilla Glue Auto which is to my understanding at least 50:50, or even sativa dominant - extreme stretched branches, big internode spaces, and only popcorn buds all over.

My question: is this what to expect from sativa dominant / 100% sativa strains, or am I just unlucky to get such pheno types?
And would there any way to increase bud density?

Dequilo

Plant Abuser
ICMag Donor
Veteran
420club
Good Day My Friend a photo or two would help and a bit of info about the environment the plants

are growing in

The buds were nothing like I had seen before with pure indica strains.
Indica buds are indeed different than a pure Sativa for sure and 50:50 hybird can look different also

but what you are says about popcorn and stretching

to me sounds like you may need more light as light will give shorter nodes

I am just guessing tell us more and someone will help as there are lots of good and helpful growers here

all the best and be safe

Dequilo

lx4

thanks mate for your reply!

I am running a hydro setup with flooding table, lights are 2x 120w LED. With this setup I managed to get good yields for indica strains, but it seems not to be ideal for sativa based strains I could imagine.

Will check for a pic as next step, which shows what I want to say!

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
You may need to add one more light to your setup to grow some Sativas. Either way, friend, keep us posted on your research. I love growing both types.

CharlesU Farley

I have some experience with growing indicas, which I always expected to produce dense buds, while the size of the plant is rather small. Recently I had grown a blueberry cupcake (hybrid, ratio not known) and was really surprised to see how it grew - massive stretching of branches when changing light to 12/12 to initiate flowering, very long branches with big internodes, and popcorn buds all over. The buds were nothing like I had seen before with pure indica strains. The very same I have at the moment with a Gorilla Glue Auto which is to my understanding at least 50:50, or even sativa dominant - extreme stretched branches, big internode spaces, and only popcorn buds all over.

My question: is this what to expect from sativa dominant / 100% sativa strains, or am I just unlucky to get such pheno types?
And would there any way to increase bud density?
I've only grown Northern Lights for a very long time. I reverse engineered it back to its Type I/Sativa, Type II/Indica, and Type IV/Hybrid ancestors. Even though I ordinarily have a profound preference for Type II, when I isolated the Type I, it really intrigued me so I decided to work it a bit.

Here was the result:

1000011286.jpg

Now before all you helpful Millenials step in and advise me that I'm overwatering/fertilizing the plant... before you ever comment on what a plant looks like, you have to know about the _environment_ it was in. The temp inside the tent when this photo was taken was in the upper thirties and the relative humidity with somewhere north of 80%. And remember, this was a Type I!

I don't see how people do Type I's in a tent, without topping, fimming, supercropping, B&D, spankies or whatever other discipline techniques that keep them from stretching out the top of the tent.

Here's what the flowers looked like:

1000011287.jpg

And this was the finished bud. While not is thick as my Type II buds, it was equally dense:

1000011288.jpg

It was a fun experiment for me, but I'm back to concentrating on the Type II's

Last edited: