What's new

question on plant with mites put outside , is she ever welcome back in?

the mited up girl was placed outside, rained on , hit with high winds and its been weeks, my qestion is can u bomb your room and then bring back a outside plant back in or do the mites survive outside in crappy fall weather after two weeks therefore id just be bringing back in with her purple ass unwanted guest as well. thx for any shared wisdom concerning my purple gall im trying to get one of my boys to bang.

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Would you ever invite a chick who gave you crabs back to bed for an orgy with your current girl(s)? :bat:

:D

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Never had them myself, but a little googling tells me they are fine in cooler weather, just take longer to complete their reproductive cycle and stuff.

And wikipedia is all "A single mature female can spawn a population of a million mites in a month or less."

So if one survives, which is really likely, you'll just be infested all over again.

Recommendation:

KILLitwithFIRE.gif

igrowone

Veteran
had a similar issue, brought in a plant from outside to inside
had mites and didn't know it, not worth it, they're the devil

I

imnotkrazy

Take the lucky guy outside for a field trip, cuz ya don't even wanna hang the infested branches indoors when she has been chopped unless ya wanna spread the cooties around.

OnGrower

You can bring your plant back inside if you are willing to put in some work, check out www.koppert.ca for info on biological controls (insects that eat other insects (or mites in your case)). Check out 'persimilis', they are predatory mites. lol unless you are sketchy about releasing more bugs in your house

Scrappy4

Veteran
I would start a regular mite program, and not worry about a few mites. WTF is that you ask?

Well thanks for asking. I start by mixing neem and karanja cake(meal) in the soil mix, not nessasary for mites, more for other bugs I add crab meal. Then I spray organic neem and karanja oil, with liquid silica on the plants on a weekly basis up to the third week in flower. In flower I spray a few times with dry lavender flower tea. Then for entertainment I read mite threads......scrappy

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
here's some advice I follow, and hope others would

never mix indoor and outdoor plants

Warped1

I'm a victim of fast women and slow horses
Veteran
Here's something for you...do you want mites in your house?? If not get rid of the bastards outside and then bring your plant in.. either that or be prepared to fight them in your room. Rocket surgery I guess

mad librettist

Veteran
I would start a regular mite program, and not worry about a few mites. WTF is that you ask?

Well thanks for asking. I start by mixing neem and karanja cake(meal) in the soil mix, not nessasary for mites, more for other bugs I add crab meal. Then I spray organic neem and karanja oil, with liquid silica on the plants on a weekly basis up to the third week in flower. In flower I spray a few times with dry lavender flower tea. Then for entertainment I read mite threads......scrappy

depending on your temps, if you have an active infestation you want to spray more like every 3 days.

Scrap, have you experimented with water only spray as a mite prophylactic?

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
I've never understood how people can't get rid of mites organically. All it is is simply sticking to a strict schedule and making sure that the method and product employed is applied like a professional would apply it. Every cut I get from anywhere has mites..after a week in my care they don't anymore....ever.
Read up on the reproductive cycle of your pest...work with the laws of nature and you win.

Scrappy4

Veteran
Scrap, have you experimented with water only spray as a mite prophylactic?

No, but in veg I generally spray several times a day with various sprays due to the low humidity of the room, does that count?

In my current grow I started out with infected clones after a break from growing, but then I always assume they are infected anyway. I started my mite program when I was certain they were rooted. Now several weeks later, I can't find one mite, but from experience, I know to keep the program running.
Since I have been doing this, I have had an occasional mite, but no mite problems.

I have also been using a mulch of old fan leaves and stems. I think this makes a home for more mite predators as well, at least i see more moving critters, this is not the main reason for using mulch, but I think it's a nice side benefit...."scrappy

Scrappy4

Veteran
I've never understood how people can't get rid of mites organically. All it is is simply sticking to a strict schedule and making sure that the method and product employed is applied like a professional would apply it. Every cut I get from anywhere has mites..after a week in my care they don't anymore....ever.
Read up on the reproductive cycle of your pest...work with the laws of nature and you win.

You sir, are correct.

Let's face it, mites are hard to see, and difficult totally stop. If you see leaf damage, you already have a active infestation. Just assume they are there, keep spraying on a schedule, and you won't have any surprises.......scrappy

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah if you want to get rid of mites organically you need to make sure that there is no infestation in the first place.
like scrappy says - keep up the spraying even if you dont see any mites - then you more than likely wont have a problem.

bringing a plant indoors from outside is always risky - it may have something even worse than mites by now.

S

SeaMaiden

I actually put plants outside to get them cleared up. I have found that high humidity and cool temperatures seriously hamper spider mites.

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I actually put plants outside to get them cleared up. I have found that high humidity and cool temperatures seriously hamper spider mites.

Not to mention, there are predators out there. Very rarely do you have spider mite problems outdoors. It's indoors where there is little temperature and humidity change and the lack of predators that spider mites become a problem.
That being said, I wouldn't bring them back in.
And that brings up another question... How did they get in there to begin with???
Burn1

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah ecosystems are pretty amazing and everything tends to stay under control outdoors. take the plant out of that ecosystem and put it indoors - you may be lucky and bring some nice predators in... or you may be unlucky and bring in root aphids, thrips ...

if you really want to run the plant then take a cutting, wash it well and root it in isolation. then spray a few times and make sure it has nothing bad before you mix it with your other indoor plants

VG

S

SeaMaiden

Not to mention, there are predators out there. Very rarely do you have spider mite problems outdoors. It's indoors where there is little temperature and humidity change and the lack of predators that spider mites become a problem.
That being said, I wouldn't bring them back in.
And that brings up another question... How did they get in there to begin with???
Burn1

I bring them inside because I have no other choice but I also use some quarantine methods and treatments that I learned at a public aquarium that help prevent problems.

I just made this entire post by voice!

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
I think it depends on the environment if this practice is effective or not. I've lived in areas where they will get cleaned up outside by predators in a matter of a week or less sometimes....and I've lived in area's where there is a native/introduced outdoor population eating anything they can,obviously with little or no predation.
Typically these are in areas where large amounts of commercial pesticides are used and the mites develop a resistance....like the a good portion of the grapes in Central Cali are crawling with them. They run up and down the rows spraying year after year and the mites are still there.