What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Question for those who’ve grown trifoliate seedlings.

I got a tri cotyledon plant last year that reverted to normal growth. 1st nodes were a pair, but 120 degrees opposed, with the 3rd leaf missing (apparently). So just a gap. 2nd set and beyond were perfectly normal.

Attachments

• tri-cotyledon.jpg
    tri-cotyledon.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28

Spaventa

Veteran
Has anyone counted chromosomes on stable trifoliate? One that grew from regular seed, from normal breeding? I mean a solid trifoliate that started with 3 cotyledons and always grows trifoliate? Has anyone found such a plant to be diploid?

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Given that triploids are supposedly sterile, and given that I have 17 generations with both parents being trifoliar, the logic dictates they aren't triploids.

Reactions: zif

hfm

So with natural selection of polyploidy or grouped chromosomes instead of sets.The most occurrences of that are from (Wind Blown Double Fertilization) I think its when your polar nuclei gets that extra chromosome and then they are not absorbed,but instead twin.They go through diploidization though in subsequent generations.Whats neat is it seems like a way to evolve into a situation like bringing more to the party because things were favorable,then your kids get the benefits of adaption.(That's probably just a bonehead notion though.) All twins aren't this though.Wild types can show a lot of examples of this.
Whorled phyllos can be fixed easily though if it's something you like or maybe it follows some of the expressions you like or maybe don't like,a way to sift on the fly.

zif

Veteran
Lots of people are growing known triploids now, too.

I have myself!

It doesn’t seem like many have noticed a higher rate of trifoliate plants than usual (for example, zero in the smallish numbers that I run).

I don’t think the link is deeper than the shared “tri” syllable in the terms, unfortunately.

Reactions: GMT

midwestkid

Veteran
pardon my ignorance on this subject -
are they sterile in the likes that the pollen doesnt produce seed? or sterile like a clone from a tri could be exposed to pollen and not make seed?

Reactions: zif

zif

Veteran
pardon my ignorance on this subject -
are they sterile in the likes that the pollen doesnt produce seed? or sterile like a clone from a tri could be exposed to pollen and not make seed?
Females don’t make (much) viable seed when pollinated by a donor of any ploidy. They might make a lot of empty shells - or might not. That seems to depend on the genetics.

The pollen is likely sterile, too, but I haven’t seen data (most modern triploids are made as female-only hybrids, so there’s not a lot of triploid pollen flying around).

Spaventa

Veteran
Has anyone had anything at all lab tested/ chromosome counted Triploid?
Anyone know if there a DIY test kit?

hfm

I've been looking at some of the CIFC's and if you are into flow cytometry you can do it at home yourself.Just depends what you want to spend and if you get your kicks from microscopy.I am definitely interested in being able to diy everything and you can get used equipment somewhat cheap compared.

Spaventa

Veteran
No I’m only interested in checking out one seedling. I’d rather send a sample to someone else if that were possible.

sublingual

I have a couple of lines that give the odd three-leaf trait. I grew out two different ones recently and they were productive and vigorous. I haven't grown any non-whorled of those seeds as I was curious to see how those plant did. One line, Barking Tiger Haze, kept the three sites per node all the way until finish-I felt like it was a bonus plant for me.
The other line where I am seeing the whorled plylotaxy didn't keep the trait consistently but was productive in the way the buds kept developing-all kinds of bud expansion on top colas, some growing double heads.
I used to toss those seedlings whenever I saw that trait, but not anymore.