• When you put the timer on 12/12

Votes: 57 76.0%
  • When the plant(s) show sex

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • huh?

Votes: 5 6.7%

• Total voters

lawnboy

Count days in flower from the time you switch the light to 12/12.

Don't plan your time to harvest based on days in flower though, base it on plant maturity: trich color, calyx swelling, etc.

i think its only logical to count from the day preflowers show .. think about it ..

some people veg for 2 weeks.. surely it aint sexually mature yet and may take another 2-3 weeks to show preflower.. thus adding 14-21 more days to the "from 12/12" time..

whereas if someone vegged for 2 months.. its probably mature enough to start budding, and may show flowers in the first week.. so for these growers who veg for so long the "from 12/12" time is probably really close to the "from first preflowers show" time

one thing that is different between grows is that people veg for different amounts of times, some sexually immature some mature .. but one things is for CERTain ... ALL the plants, whether vegged for 2 weeks or 2 months, WILL show preflowers.. so isnt it logical to count from the preflowers...?

glasspackedbowl

Medical Test grower. Inquire within...
Veteran
let me drop some things . Seeds turn to sprouts that turn to seedlings that turn to plants. Plants then go through a faze called pre-flowering this can last 2 weeks at which point flowering begins.

m.steelers

Enlightened
Veteran
Of course I check the trichs, but I do record flowering time as well - from the onset of 12/12. I like to record data about the plants, it's part of the fun for me.

Guest423

Veteran
i don't like to count down by days...seems like it makes it take way longer...i just remember what day i flipped 12/12 and then wait a almost 2 months before i look to see how many days it's been....i know when i'm getting real close just by lookin at the plants....normally when i think they are about done i then count the days and it's normally around day 56-60....i don't even think the "early" strains are ever done before day 50....the dates the breeders give are just estimates.

also most seed crosses sold today are only f1's so there is a wide variation in flowering times...with many different phenos you get many different finishing dates.

peace

Last edited:

BigClunke

sunnyside said:
exactly :joint:

not my pic...
This is the way to do it. Just keep in mind that sometimes an amber trichome might pop up a bit early don't just chop them at that moment. you have to look at the shape of the bud and it's pistals too. The best indicator is the trichomes, but occasionally that can be a bit deceiving, especially if you are going a strain with colored trichomes. I grew a purple variety that actually had purple trichomes, it made for some interesting looking bubble hash :joint: