What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Question about what to do when on vacation

Ill be going away for 6 days and by the time im set to leave my girls will be in day of 59 of flower, wondering what should i do. Should i just over water them before i leave? I know there is a product that will water it on ebay, but Im wondering since im so close to harvest should i just let it begin to dry....

RetroGrow

Veteran
When is harvest?
There are many options for watering while you are away.
"Plantastic" is one product sold in Lowes/Home Depot.
Cheap and will do the job.

RetroGrow

Veteran
When is harvest?
There are many options for watering while you are away.
"Plantastic" is one product sold in Lowes/Home Depot.
Cheap and will do the job.

i just read about plantastic, looks cool but idk if itll release enought water, it says it releases 1.5oz a day. My girls take about 20oz a day...

Mr Eckted

Go with wicks maybe?

You could use inverted bottles with holes poked into the caps, pushed into the dirt. 6 days might be pushing it for plants that big though. Maybe if you could find a 4L that would fit. Could work depending on the scale of your show.

Blumats would probably be the best option I think. Followed by some sort of wick system.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
this is why i have my watering set up on flood trays on one part of my room, and drip system the other....all i gotta do is water once, refil reservoirs, set timers to run for appropriate times, and they are good to go for another 3-4 waterings in the flood trays and 2 in the drip to waste...

a wise thing i read on ICmag early in my growing career..."automate everything you possiby can"

i dont even use the timers when im not gone...i go in there and hit the switch manually so i can water only when they need it..

jammie

ganjatologist
Veteran
if you can cut back on your light and increase humidity by hanging towels in water buckets that should at least slow down water loss from heat and evaporation.

budman678

I come from the land where the oceans freeze
Veteran
jammie~you are just inviting mold my friend....upside down 4liter bottles....they will be thirsty as balls when you get home

I have flood trays that holds some water, but will that cause root rot? i guess since the plant will be out of water soon after itll use that as a 'reservior'

Natagonnaworrie

If you love life, don't waste time. For time is wh
Veteran
3 plants? Bro, you can set up a drip system for like $50 bucks.

(1) Bucket / trash can / anything for a rez $0

(1) Small water pump from the hydro store $20

(1) Oracle Digital timer that can be programmed for each day of the week and does down to 1 min increments (6 day vacation? ...set it to turn on for 2 min 3 days into ur vaca depending on your plants size vs pot size) $22

(1) 6 ft of 1/2" black tubing $2

(1) 1/2 tube end cap ($0.50)

(6) 1 ft pieces of 1/4" tubing $2

(6) dripper emitters - 2 per plant in case one fails $2

(1) little hole puncher thingy to pop the 1/4" holes in the main line (the 1.2" black tubing) $1

(6) 1/4" barbs to jam into the main line after poking the hole, connect the 1 ft pieces of tubing to the barb $1

hook emitters into ends of 1/4" tube, stick 2 in each pot.

test it out one time before you go for piece of mind and vacation worry free :dance013:

ooops. $50.50

heshani1999

You can hang 3 plastic water bottles top of the roof straight to the plants and make a small whole in the bottle to leak the water drop by drop to the plants.

jammie

ganjatologist
Veteran
jammie~you are just inviting mold my friend....upside down 4liter bottles....they will be thirsty as balls when you get home

hey there bud- its not the heat or humidity that causes mold, but poor ventilation. i keep my rh between 70-80% and never had a problem. here's a good reference-http://www.autogrow.com/1_information/1_vpd/info_vpd.html

Dislexus

the shit spoon
Veteran
Water them the day before you leave then overwater right before you leave. Like if you have the catch trays below your pots, you want them topped off, that overwatered.

When you get back they will be fine. Maaaybe they will use up a few leaves to get thru. In any case you're probably far enough along to cut.

I like to let mine get a little dry before I cut.. because when you let them go dry they selectively start shutting down/absorbing certain leaves... then when I cut them this process is continued, sucking all that lovely leafjuice into zee budz

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
come on guys really?? upside down water bottles..damp towels...leaving the flood trays full, these are all stupid ideas.

nattagonna pretty much summed it up....rez, timer, and some poly line w/ emitters...costs less than 50 bucks and will save you countless headaches and hand watering BS...

Natagonnaworrie

If you love life, don't waste time. For time is wh
Veteran
I smart man once said, 'Automate everything'

I am going to start looking around for any other little things i can automate as well. (...Already thought of one; float valve for filling rez with RO. I hate waiting for the water to fill up)

Dislexus

the shit spoon
Veteran
Yes4Prop215: Does he have time to twerk the system? Doesnt feel like it. Plus it adds another variable that could compromise his security, what if there's a leak while he's away, or LEO is monitoring the hydro stores (happened in my area last year).

I said catch trays, I doubt he's draining-to-waste or anything. I'm talking about the little saucers below the pots.

Unfortunately this guy didn't give us many details about his setup. Overwatering would get him through at minimal effort, investment, and no increase in risk. Simplest and effective, so probably the best answer, he instinctually suggested it himself so I'm guessing he's watering every 3-4 days right now.