What's new

Question about I-power 1000 watt hos

RobFromTX

I use to think the same thing when it comes to 1000 Hps, that they were the only true way to get lbs out of a grow. I thought that for the last 25 years but now I don't think that anymore. The new 600 watt LED grow lights are matching the HPS 1000-watt results easily.

The one thing that brought me to LEDs is when I used 1000 watts HPS lights, the plugs in the wall got real hot. So hot that I got worried that I would burn down the grow. I was trying to balance wattage with amp-age and was running too close to maxing out my breakers causing stress on my electric grid. When I switched to LEDs the wall plugs ran cool. Plus no red flags with the excess electricity from the electric company. Don't get me wrong I love 1000 HPS lights and have used them for a long time but they are old news now. 😎
Any suggestions for a cheap LED system with good reviews? Ive thought of making the leap but the american ones are pricey and the chinese ones are.......well.....chinese

cfl...KING

Listen my username is from 07 lol
Veteran
I'm sorry but coming from a guy that suggested a wood burning stove to control humidity, in the MIDDLE OF SUMMER, I can't take anything you say serious lmao
Have a good day

xet

I worked at a commercial facility harvesting 1000 plants per day 7 days a week. The public is stupid concerning large-scale operations and that is all it boils down to.. "CFL King"

xet

Besides, you're referencing a guy's winter basement but who cares you're apart of that giant segment of the population that makes up things in front of audiences to make your self feel cool, ignore!

cfl...KING

Veteran
Anyways back to reality, no led can yet match a 1000w hps.

People try to compare co2 grows using led to non co2 grows with a hps

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Those 315s will never equal a 1kw hps, you can't fit enough in the same area.
this i understand ... maybe '3' of em would equal a 1000watter, but as u correctly point out , they wouldn't fit...

but if i get a 600w led, would the quality be equal to the 2 315's?? - thats presuming i can find a 600w led that fits a 4x3.5ft tent - the 4' is ok, but
lol

Indoor will never compete with outdoor sunlight grown in the soil
i agree with ya.... there is no light like our sun...

cfl...KING

Veteran
this i understand ... maybe '3' of em would equal a 1000watter, but as u correctly point out , they wouldn't fit...

but if i get a 600w led, would the quality be equal to the 2 315's?? - thats presuming i can find a 600w led that fits a 4x3.5ft tent - the 4' is ok, but.
Given that the down fall with led is the same with the 315s (they lack penetration) I could see the led having an advantage with better area coverage. In this scenario the Leds should perform better.

RobFromTX

Given that the down fall with led is the same with the 315s (they lack penetration) I could see the led having an advantage with better area coverage. In this scenario the Leds should perform better.
Im using a 600 watt hps in my 5x5 growtent and you'd be surprised at the results. I mean yeah i probably got a couple of more ounces of dry weight with 1000 watt but not much more than that and overheating isn't an issue. These are pure landrace sativas btw

Attachments

• IMG_20220718_185357643.jpg
    IMG_20220718_185357643.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20220718_185415697.jpg
    IMG_20220718_185415697.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20220718_185609267.jpg
    IMG_20220718_185609267.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 53

cfl...KING

Veteran
Im using a 600 watt hps in my 5x5 growtent and you'd be surprised at the results. I mean yeah i probably got a couple of more ounces of dry weight with 1000 watt but not much more than that and overheating isn't an issue. These are pure landrace sativas btw
A single 600w is more intense than 2 315w. A 600w has more penetration thru the canopy to the lower branches. What bulb were you using? The cheap 30$ one that comes free with it? I always use Digilux bulbs, huge difference in yield between 600w an 1000w. 600w usually like 20-24oz and 1000w 35-37oz. Any popcorn fluff gets thrown in with the sugar leaf trimmings.

Right now my 1000w is turned down to 600w because my plants grew too close to the light an would bleach if I had it on 1000w. A 1000w will penetrate the canopy a good foot further an still have golf ball size nugs. It's only like day 26-27 in these pics. The leaves are all dark green when not directly under the light, it really shows the intensity. But they love it
IMG_20220722_181802184_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220719_232943236.jpg

Last edited:

Ca++

It doesn't matter where your photon came from, it's a photon. It's penetration is such.
The only difference is an LED grow has more in the blue spectrum, and blue penetrates better than red. So the real answer is that LED penetrates better.
LED doesn't stretch out the plants and grow just main heads. It grows the whole plant. The number of buds is greater. If you don't develop them properly, then yes you have more scratchy bits. Personally, I have hard nuggets right to the bottom. You need to adapt your grow for LEDs to get their full effect. Not use them like HIDs.

Other growers get rid of their green to get mine. Nobody has ever seen better. Not once in decades has someone got me something to smoke because they know I would like it. I love coffee shops, but it's nearly all rubbish. One well known chain stayed open, watching me and a friend demolish piles of weed like it was nothing (their words). I don't need to form my own opinion about how good my green is. Nobody noticed when I switched to LED. There was only one comment, apologising for asking, but had I sprayed them with something as the resin content seemed higher than usual.

People that don't rate LED seem to have opinions formed from the internet, not their own trials. Or they simply couldn't adjust their style quick enough, and switched back as a knee jerk reaction to things looking different.

HIDs have to go above the plants because they are hot. LEDs are not. So the only reason for popcorn is incorrect light placement. Treating the LEDs as HIDs instead of adapting. PCbuds has a constant diary running where people knock just about everything he does. Yet his yields are great. Simply because he lights his plant properly. However people are blind to this. Lighting giants like philips sell interlighting. Tubes that go through crops. They publish the trials, and nobody is going back after trying them. As sticky icky growers, we would trash interlighting. We should light from the sides and below. Anywhere you can find space, light them up.

I have done all the side to sides a pro should. I might not be big scale, but this is a hobby and I chuck money at it, rather than just want money from it.

The whole world isn't wrong, and that random guy right. LED is the way. It's just expensive, so a one hitter isn't going to invest. They are short sighted though. LEDs pay for themselves in that one hit.

Cerathule

A single 600w is more intense than 2 315w. A 600w has more penetration thru the canopy to the lower branches. What bulb were you using? The cheap 30$ one that comes free with it? I always use Digilux bulbs, huge difference in yield between 600w an 1000w. 600w usually like 20-24oz and 1000w 35-37oz. Any popcorn fluff gets thrown in with the sugar leaf trimmings.

Right now my 1000w is turned down to 600w because my plants grew too close to the light an would bleach if I had it on 1000w. A 1000w will penetrate the canopy a good foot further an still have golf ball size nugs. It's only like day 26-27 in these pics. The leaves are all dark green when not directly under the light, it really shows the intensity. But they love it
View attachment 18736844
View attachment 18736845
It doesn't appear to be a HPS...

RobFromTX

View attachment 18736844
View attachment 18736845
Its a vivosun 600 watt system and yeah i think $30 is about what the light costed. Id upgrade to 1000watt with a different living arrangement for sure. A house in south texas gets hot enough as it is with the 600

cfl...KING

Veteran
It doesn't matter where your photon came from, it's a photon. It's penetration is such.
The only difference is an LED grow has more in the blue spectrum, and blue penetrates better than red. So the real answer is that LED penetrates better.
LED doesn't stretch out the plants and grow just main heads. It grows the whole plant. The number of buds is greater. If you don't develop them properly, then yes you have more scratchy bits. Personally, I have hard nuggets right to the bottom. You need to adapt your grow for LEDs to get their full effect. Not use them like HIDs.

Other growers get rid of their green to get mine. Nobody has ever seen better. Not once in decades has someone got me something to smoke because they know I would like it. I love coffee shops, but it's nearly all rubbish. One well known chain stayed open, watching me and a friend demolish piles of weed like it was nothing (their words). I don't need to form my own opinion about how good my green is. Nobody noticed when I switched to LED. There was only one comment, apologising for asking, but had I sprayed them with something as the resin content seemed higher than usual.

People that don't rate LED seem to have opinions formed from the internet, not their own trials. Or they simply couldn't adjust their style quick enough, and switched back as a knee jerk reaction to things looking different.

HIDs have to go above the plants because they are hot. LEDs are not. So the only reason for popcorn is incorrect light placement. Treating the LEDs as HIDs instead of adapting. PCbuds has a constant diary running where people knock just about everything he does. Yet his yields are great. Simply because he lights his plant properly. However people are blind to this. Lighting giants like philips sell interlighting. Tubes that go through crops. They publish the trials, and nobody is going back after trying them. As sticky icky growers, we would trash interlighting. We should light from the sides and below. Anywhere you can find space, light them up.

I have done all the side to sides a pro should. I might not be big scale, but this is a hobby and I chuck money at it, rather than just want money from it.

The whole world isn't wrong, and that random guy right. LED is the way. It's just expensive, so a one hitter isn't going to invest. They are short sighted though. LEDs pay for themselves in that one hit.
Post up your setup, what's your gpw an gpm?

Ca++

Those numbers are not much use to anyone. They offer no comparison, or indication of gain. I'm not just an LED grower. I have decades of HID experience that progressed to side by side comparisons and ultimately a full switch over. So just saying what I'm doing now, isn't making any use of my knowledge at all. In fact, you will compare these numbers to other growers, who don't have the same ability. You should compare me to me. A true before and after, that moved through side by side to get there.

Even my before and after numbers are of little use. What matters, is the same grower, used the same power, and got about 20% more. A grower who generally gets what the seed packets say he should get.

I don't look at gram per watt, it's gram per meter. If the packet says 550-650 I used to get 550 and now get 650. Though I don't use the expected 600w per meter. More like 500w.

You might now be calculating my gram per watt. However it's pointless. You can't do it, because you don't know how wet it is. I loose 92% when I dry my weed. If I lost 80% like over 90% of those surveyed, the result would be over double. I can tell you now I hover around 1.3 but if I loose 80% like others do, then I'm at about 2.8 and getting over a kg a meter. It's all bullshit though. The 20% is what matters.

You must know that using cfl's makes you an outlier. Something isn't right, straight away. We were doing cfl LED comparisons many years ago, and walked away from the clf many years ago. As we have walked away from all flo's. It's just not in the running anymore. Building code 15 years ago said no to compacts, unless the driver was separate, and so used again. I don't think I can even buy them anymore. I think it's reasonable to say that you are missing out. LEDs whoop ass.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
If cooling costs was only thing you would save, it would still worth to move to leds. Changing bulbs, cooling them, running at max power when a dimmer is more practical sometimes, hps are old and unefficient.. leds are here to stay.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I love growing with High-Intensity discharge lights and had super results for years. It's just the extra heat I had a problem with and the fear of getting busted. Running 3000 watts HPS in home grow can be dangerous to that grower in two ways. One is burning down the house the other is raising red flags to the electric company. The other alternative is to try something else with an open mind. LEDs are growing in popularity for one reason, New LEDs work, and they work very well. I still love 400, 600, and 1000 HPS just don't use them anymore. 😎