What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Question about Defoliation in flower - delay of bud development

Ttutorial

420club
winner@420giveaway
Hey, i do have one question guys, i hope im right here.

If u do 5 weeks of veg, then get these girls into the flowering stage, after 7 days u do see that the humidity is just to high, so u have to cut some of the leaves off.. and then u cut more and more...

so -20% of biomass is gone, that was more then one week ago.

The bud development just startet at one plant, so my question is the plant repairing her/him self and not starting or what is going on?

Looks like Flowering week 1.. but actually its the second week of flowering.

Do i have just to give them a week more, or is my yield lower then it would instead of not defoliate them?

chilliwilli

Waterboy
To defoliate or not is more a religiouse question imo. i have done both and they worked for me.
Some say never pinch a leaf when it's not fading because they are the powerplants. Others do a radical defoiliation after 2-3 weeks that looks like only the stem is left and have the same dense foilage again after 2 weeks.

What i have noticed is that too much at once can stun a plant for a week or so. Also buds that are shaded by leaf stay a little smaller compared to when they get full light. Most of the time i scroge and branches develope better when they get direct light. The side branches of sativas get bigger imo if u defoil them. But i have never tried a side by side grow to check what gets the bigger harvest.
So i defoil slowly( max. 2-3 pair of leaf/plant/d) what is shading other growth.

Ttutorial

420club
winner@420giveaway
To defoliate or not is more a religiouse question imo. i have done both and they worked for me.
Some say never pinch a leaf when it's not fading because they are the powerplants. Others do a radical defoiliation after 2-3 weeks that looks like only the stem is left and have the same dense foilage again after 2 weeks.

What i have noticed is that too much at once can stun a plant for a week or so. Also buds that are shaded by leaf stay a little smaller compared to when they get full light. Most of the time i scroge and branches develope better when they get direct light. The side branches of sativas get bigger imo if u defoil them. But i have never tried a side by side grow to check what gets the bigger harvest.
So i defoil slowly( max. 2-3 pair of leaf/plant/d) what is shading other growth.
Thanks mate!
Jes, so 2 days before flip and day 21 in flower i would do like 10% of the plant as a defoliation.

I did got 4 hermies, i think supercropping + LST + Defoliation + Lollipopping was to much for them to handle... I dont know.

But the other question i have, if the defoliation at day 7 stunt ur plant for 1 hole week, and u ur buds are on day 14-16 like they are normaly in day 7-9 will u lose yield? Or does that not matter that much?

Just go one week back in counting and see day 16 like day 9?
Is that a thing?

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Thanks mate!
Jes, so 2 days before flip and day 21 in flower i would do like 10% of the plant as a defoliation.

I did got 4 hermies, i think supercropping + LST + Defoliation + Lollipopping was to much for them to handle... I dont know.

But the other question i have, if the defoliation at day 7 stunt ur plant for 1 hole week, and u ur buds are on day 14-16 like they are normaly in day 7-9 will u lose yield? Or does that not matter that much?

Just go one week back in counting and see day 16 like day 9?
Is that a thing?
Can't say if there was a loss. The growth was stunned, but that was still during veg phase.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
If you look at a leaf under a microscope you will see thousands of stomata on the bottom of a single leaf. Those stomata are how the plant moves water and gases from the soil up the stem thur the stomata and back out into the environment. If you pick those off you slow the plant's transpiration down. I keep the leaves to speed up the water and nutrient transport.

Chuck Jägerschnitzel

I've tried both ways and I prefer to leave them be. The plant knows how to grow itself, it doesn't need my help. If dropping leaves was going to allow the plant to potentially grow more sex organs then it would do that on its own, they're insatiably horny. They drop the leaves later on when they want to