What's new

Question about an I.P.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
on other sites this may be an issue, but the servers at ICMAG have had their option to record users IP's turned off. That means that if the servers do ever get confiscated, from holland, (where what we are talking about is sold in coffee shops openly), then your IP address still could not be found.

SpacedCWBY

Veteran
If you're using the wireless on your router, be sure to use MAC filtering

If your wireless isn't being used, disable it on the router

Use strong passwords and https for accessing your router's setup

Change the SSID from the factory setting

Use unique ip addresses for your home network.

And damnit all, disable port 23. You don't need telnet and it's not secure.

Have fun.

VirginHarvester

Veteran
So this Proxy is running a banner ad on another site I was on. It told me what it thinks my IP is but I pulled up my connection status showing IP address, subnet, and gateway and they aren't even close. http://www.mychoda.com/ So I'm wondering if this is a good proxy site or not? I wouldn't know how to choose one but it seems odd if this one can't even tell my real IP address.

VirginHarvester

Veteran
SpacedCWBY said:
If you're using the wireless on your router, be sure to use MAC filtering

If your wireless isn't being used, disable it on the router

Use strong passwords and https for accessing your router's setup

Change the SSID from the factory setting

Use unique ip addresses for your home network.

And damnit all, disable port 23. You don't need telnet and it's not secure.

Have fun.
I hate to say but that's over my head technically.

Download tor browser, some of the stuff won't work with regard to menus etc, but it's a relatively secure setup for browsing.

VirginHarvester

Veteran
Homegrow3r said:
Download tor browser, some of the stuff won't work with regard to menus etc, but it's a relatively secure setup for browsing.

Don't know anything about TOR so I don't want to turn this into a discussion that leads people to believe it's being suggested as the secure way to go. I would welcome some other opinions on it.

But, I did a search and a description said
The Tor Browser Bundle lets you use Tor on Windows without needing to install any software. It can run off a USB flash drive, comes with a pre-configured web browser and is self contained.

My question about running it off USB is if that means you can load it and configure it on a flash and by accessing the web through that flash means if someone knocked on the door to take your computer but they didn't get the flash drive would it means no records of where you had been would be left on your computer- all contains within the flash? Something like that would be really cool I think if by doing this you were covered by reliable proxy servers while surfing plus no fingerprints are left on your own computer records.

Thanks.

Tor is a distributed proxy network, you can host a node yourself even if you want, it's easy, universities and stuff host it for chinese and people who have restricted access, changes proxies all the time, very hard to trace, and yes the key idea is correct.