What's new

Quantum or Lumatek? Which runs cooler, and which do you prefer?

C

chefro420

In light of all the posts here and on other forums, the Quantums are cool. So either this is incorrect information or the Quantum in question was defective. Clearly Quantums don't run that hot. Please don't characterize all Quantums in this fashion

please add some fact to your "opinion" , i temped 6 different lumateks and got a range of 80-95

Also with a quick search , you will see a ton of failures with quantums "cooling" fans . One guy posted his fan failed 3x in the same ballast . Just something else to fail.....

My friends ballast that he returned was a 1000w, maybe you are all referring to their 600w not being hot?? I dont think it was defective either , ran his light fine and the fan was cranking....

rrog

Veteran
I've been objectively reading / researching this issue. I'm buying either a Lumatek or Quantum. There are those that pick apart the Lumatek. Same as you're picking apart the Quantum. In general, they are the two most beloved ballasts out there.

Unless defective, they don't go hot as your contending. And after reading every thread and poll that I could find, it's clear that a defect is a rare thing. You are describing one (1) Quantum ballast that your friend ran for a day or whatever. Just asking that you keep this in perspective.

rrog

Veteran
After all of my research, including your posts, I believe that's exactly what I'll do.

Rowdy420

I call bullshit^ For me to believe that ridiculous statement it would require some kind of proof, please!

I run 4 Quantum 1k's and they work great and have a 3 year warranty, I did have 1 that something internally smoked but, it was replaced with a new one from the shop immediately. The noise from the fans on these are not that freaking loud, it's not any bigger than anything on a computer tower!

Wow good luck , Peace

slowandeasy

Veteran
I had an el-cheapo digital ballast that actually was too hot too touch. My Quantums are not nearly as hot.

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've been looking into some new ballasts. Anybody have experience with the Phantoms?
I haven't heard of many problems with them, but that could be because they are relatively new.

:tiphat:

C

chefro420

So does anyone have any actual temp reading from their quantums ? Only 1 other said it was to hot too touch , that to me means over 120 easy ....

Whats BS Rowdy420??

sativaXindica

Greetings,

I'm running 2 Quantum 1000's. Not loud at all and definitely not 3x as hot as a lumatec. (ran both). Quantum is more reliable in my opinion and a supieror product. I did have a quantum fail on me, but only because it was my fault. I "hot started" the ballast before letting it cool down. Went back to the hydo shop and they replaced it imedieatly. Love the 3 year No Questions Asked warrantee.

Best Regards

sativaXindica

C

chefro420

So how hot are everyone's quantums? Still no actual temp readings?

sativaXindica

Greetings,

I don't have an actual temp. reading, but I have no problem touching my ballast even after they have been running for 12 hours.

Best Regards

sativaXindica

slowandeasy

Veteran
So does anyone have any actual temp reading from their quantums ? Only 1 other said it was to hot too touch , that to me means over 120 easy ....

Whats BS Rowdy420??

I do not have a temp gauge to check, but it is not too hot to touch....unlike Ebay cheapo. Actually my old mag one was cooler feeling than the Ebay one. My quantums "feel" about the same as Lumateks....for sure not hotter.

poo-hand

I have 1,000 watt quantums and lumateks running side by side. I can hear the fans in the quantums but they are not loud at all. they are one of the quiter pieces of equipment I have in my room. I havent checked actual temps as I dont have any way of doing so but I can not hold my hand on the lumateks for very long yet I can hold my hand on the quantums for as long as I want. I've been running lumatek ballasts for a couple of years longer than the quantums but I'm sold on the quantums, they rock.

My personal experience is slightly skewed, I run the quantums on 240v and the lumateks on 120v.

T

TREE KING

do the quantums have a a switch on it to change the wattage it puts out like the lumateks do? like 1000 watts>600>400

T

TREE KING

yes, the quantums have a dimmer switch.

thanks. sorry about that cause i should of just googled the info myself it was easy to find. ok so the quantum 1000 watt is dimmable to 750 watts and 500 watts and the lumatek is dimmable to 600 and 400 watts? can someone confirm this?

Latest posts

Latest posts