What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Q3corn's dank mini adventures

piramidon

recidivist icmag - OUT-ist convins - microgrower
Veteran
... Britta filters have other things in them to further catch what the carbon cannot...
I've once cut open a Britta filter and it had only charcoal mixed with pearlite (looked like 50/50 mix, 1-2mm gran.) and of course, a small magnet.
The point being that the magnetic field brakes the mineral molecules from the water and the charcoal/pearlite does the mechanical separation. The actual filtration.
It's the same filter I use for the water I cut the moonshine with, the poor man's RO machine. Redneck technology. :biggrin:

q3corn

I've once cut open a Britta filter and it had only charcoal mixed with pearlite (looked like 50/50 mix, 1-2mm gran.) and of course, a small magnet.
The point being that the magnetic field brakes the mineral molecules from the water and the charcoal/pearlite does the mechanical separation. The actual filtration.
It's the same filter I use for the water I cut the moonshine with, the poor man's RO machine. Redneck technology. :biggrin:

I had no idea perlite was any good at filtering anything! Is that really all they use?

PCBuds

I just cut open a Brita filter because I couldn't help myself. Lol

I suppose the yellowish stuff is perlite but I didn't find a magnet??
It is one of the new filters though, that's been redesigned.
You don't have to rinse the dust out anymore.

You could certainly make your own filter for a lot cheaper.
I don't know if the perlite is different stuff though??

It doesn't look like the fluffy white stuff I'm familiar with.

piramidon

recidivist icmag - OUT-ist convins - microgrower
Veteran
I just cut open a Brita filter because I couldn't help myself. Lol ...
I suppose the yellowish stuff is perlite but I didn't find a magnet??
It is one of the new filters though, that's been redesigned.
You don't have to rinse the dust out anymore.

You could certainly make your own filter for a lot cheaper.
I don't know if the perlite is different stuff though??

It doesn't look like the fluffy white stuff I'm familiar with.
I had no idea perlite was any good at filtering anything! Is that really all they use?

It certainly is different from the one I've cut, but keep in mind that one I had was made in Europe in 2009, where we have other standards for everything, and count for the product "evolution" as well... Like you said, this one is a new design, but there still have to be a magnet in it, usually incorporated in the filter's plastic somewhere in the way of water coming in.
The yellow stuff does'n't look like perlite, and it looks like at least three substances are forming the mix there. And at least from the picture, I'm not seeing any perlite in this one. But the perlite is a good filter beeing porous and all.
I'm using only magnet(s) (from hdd unit) and activated charcoal (diy) to filter the water, but if you want cristal clear water you have to do a couple of things: make sure you wash well the charcoal after activating; put an extra filter like the ultra dense cotton they use to filter beer in breweries, or just cloth and cofee filter if the other is too expensive; and regulate the water flow!
By this I mean the ideal flow rate will be like the one from neutralising the alcohool thru charcoal. If not drip by drip, at least really slow flow rate. :tiphat:

q3corn

Updates!

Got my G33xPG plants sexed. 2 females and 1 male! I decided to pull them out of flower and reveg them for a little while before I get a big enough plant size to make it worth it.

Clones from G33xPG are doing great. I got roots on 2 of 3! Here's my makeshift cloner with plants. Made out of 3 tuperware tubs, perlite, and a shoelace wick. Clones got dipped in cloning powder before going in.

And my babies!

Little bitty roots! Took 9 days for those to show.

Flower cabinet is pretty clear now, just got the JHxPG and the 2 bubblegum plants. One of 2 bubblegums have shown sex, and it's female. The other one probably will be female, too. They're at day 10 flower.

Jack Herer x Purple Goat day 37 Flower:

I'm guessing I'll get somewhere around 4 or 5 grams off of this one. Smell is sweet and mild. No pine or lemon to speak of, it smells more similar to a few of the other bubblegum bagseeds I grew years ago. No relation, but it's interesting they're now sharing a space.

And my veg cabinet is full! I need to get a few more of these out and into the flower cabinet soon. Gonna wait until Friday to do that. Front plants are Chuy x Purple Goat, and they're the next to move. I won't be keeping any males out of this cross, not really interested in f2-ing it. I will take clones just in case one of them is really nice, though. There was a pheno of Chuy I grew a few years ago that smelled like orange juice, and I'm just a little bit curious if I get something like that out of here.

That's pretty much it for updates here!

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Are you going to flower out the male G33xPG to collect pollen/make seeds?

q3corn

Are you going to flower out the male G33xPG to collect pollen/make seeds?
Fuck yeah I am! I wanna do it when nothing else is flowering to prevent any cross-contamination. I have about 20 more seeds from that original cross, but I wanna get a good quantity of seeds in the f2 range developed so I can really see where this goes. Gettin' on that gelato hype train ��

Last edited:

q3corn

Shot of my JHxPG

She' struggling with food it seems. I can't get her fed right to get her to stop eating herself. Thinking of just doing a flush with ph'd water next time to get rid of maybe some lockout problem that may have had, then get back in there with regular feeding. Her buds look great though. Definitely under a month to go. I'm guessing around day 65 chop :joint:

q3corn

I saw some cool small temp/humidity measuring things on amazon for pretty cheap, so I ordered 12 of them. Plan was to use them for my curing jars, since I've never measured the humidity of them before and I wanna get more srsly about my cures.

Anyway, I read somewhere that these things are inconsistent and can't really be trusted, so I figured I would do a little test. About 2 weeks after I got them, I pulled them all out of the box and laid them on a plastic board, and just left them there all night. I had a fairly busy day today and either didn't check this morning or don't remember what I saw, but when I got home tonight, about 24 hours after setting them all down, this is what I saw:

Pretty consistent, if you ask me! All within 3% humidity and within 1 degree F of each other. I would call that pretty reliable for the cost. I could definitely use them for curing jars, or even ways to measure the temp and humidity inside my grow spaces. They're pretty small, about 1"x2", and run on watch batteries.

I saw someone cut a hole in a jar lid to mount these as ways to watch their cure. I wanna do that next. The probes are in the back, so it would be reading the inside of the jar while being completely visible. And bonus: not knocking around in the jar with the buds.

q3corn

Well I cut up a lid, and naturally I cut it too big, the hygrometer drops right through. oops! Good thing I got extras.

But I'm getting tired so I'm gonna do the next one tomorrow. Sleepiness and knives don't really get along that well.

q3corn

I repotted the Chuy x PG's and threw them into the flower cab last night. Today is day 1 for them, which means I have 6 plants in flower right now. Packed house!

You can see my two environmental readers there. One is that little hygrometer, and the other is the temp probe for the other reader. They're both within half a degree of each other, so that's pretty damn accurate.

I'm probably gonna take clones off of the chuys just in case one of these is a keeper. Either that or I'll just reveg them. I'm not sure. I only have like 12 more viable seeds from that cross, so I might want to f2 it just to have the seed stock made.

G33xPG clones started showing roots, so I put 2 of them in earth plugs and within the hour regretted it. Roots weren't strong enough, so back to the dome they went. Hopefully they still make it. Mom plants are in the veg cab so clone stock is still available.

PCBuds

You could sell grow cabs cleverly disguised as shipping crates for cats.

They're already vented so all you need is some food, water and a stray cat in there and could mail it anywhere. Lol
(anyway, I'll stop trashing up your thread.)