What's new

Putting plants in a refrigerator or in a cold garage to turn them purple?

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
I could be wrong but i believe you're supposed to EAT the anthocynanins for health benefits, as opposed to smoking them eheh :)

h.h.

Veteran
I like pretty flowers. If they're not chemically induced (on the plant) and the process doesn't in some way hurt the product...WTF. Enjoy the grow as well as the bud.

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
All the debate about the value of purple aside, a few hours for a few days isn't going to do it. The plant is looking for autumnal temps before it will throw autumnal colors (if any are latent). That doesn't happen in a few days.

oldblue

If this works in growing plants, i'm wondering if they'd purple slightly, if put in 50* temps during the curing process??? I have some that are 3 days into a cure, so i might take a lil out and give it a go. ;-)

NiteTiger

Veteran
If this works in growing plants, i'm wondering if they'd purple slightly, if put in 50* temps during the curing process??? I have some that are 3 days into a cure, so i might take a lil out and give it a go. ;-)

Won't help after the chop. The cooler temps bring out autumnal coloring, similar to trees. So, if they're dead, they ain't doing squat :D

The one concern I would have that no one has mentioned is mold.Of course this is variety dependent and indicas would be much more susceptible to mold problems than sativas would be,although sativas are not imune from mold either.I have had some individuals purple up due to over night temps that got to the mid to low 50s but have never intentionally made the room cold.I have never had mold and that is a primary concern for me.I wish you well in your pursuit of color,take care and be well my friends,but most of all be safe,Charles.

NiteTiger

Veteran
Mold is a concern, but a variety of factors can keep that under control. Reducing mold chances are why I recommend keeping humidity below 50%. Mine is actually about 40.

Combine that with good air circulation, and your mold chances are very very low :yes:

Mold is a concern, but a variety of factors can keep that under control. Reducing mold chances are why I recommend keeping humidity below 50%. Mine is actually about 40.

Combine that with good air circulation, and your mold chances are very very low :yes:

Spot on brother,yup humidity and air circulation are keys to keeping mold at bay.Take care and be well my friends,and most of all be safe,Charles.

Is any conclusive proof that it is actually anthocynanin and not a genetic tendency towards phosphorus deficiency?

I am not suggesting one way or another - I think its a curious subject.

full time daddy
Veteran
my view is genetic's React differently just like humans or other plants. "purp" strains are them few that have a outbreak to what ever make's it happen...
some strains it's temp other's could be phosphorus deficiency, ph ect.....
either way you can all ways count on grape ape, purple urple/urkle or any tru purp to purp up no matter how you feed or how hot it may be it will still just be down right DARK PURPLE....!

w/o genetics predisposing the plant to already have anthocyanin content, phosphorous deficiency showing autumnal hues would be irrelevant. see what i mean?? there would be no autumnal hues without the anthos anyhow.....

Mold is caused by high humidity..mold NEEDS water to survive..and thrive..but generally cold and dampy conditions flourish mold ...however hot and humid is also VERY inviting towards mold..

I

Iron_Lion

Well i put the 4 plants in the garage last night, temps must have been about 40*F give or take. the temp drop seemed to have no effect on them, they were no more purple then they were before. So much for flash purpling:dunno:

festivus

STAY TOASTY MY FRIENDS!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Iron Lion, I grow and flower in an operating fridge. I can set the temperature range using the fridge's thermostat and timers. On my profile, I've linked a vid I made showing a Jock Horror grow where one of the plants' buds went purple. It did have a different taste than the others, but wasn't any more potent.

It's easy to use a fridge to purple up your girls. Just remove the shelves and drawers and set the temperature range. Rotate the girls so that they get a couple of nights each in the fridge. With a low temp in the lower 60's if the plants have the genetic trait, you'll see it!

Last edited:

the5thtime

From Francogrow.com from GHS

"During the last 2-3 weeks of flowering the resin production is at maximum and the complex cocktail of cannabinoids and terpens that will characterize the final product is taking shape."

"The temperature of the growroom is a very important factor during flowering: resin production is directly influenced by temperature, as it is also a natural defence of the plant against heat and cold. The difference between night and day temperatures also plays a big role.
The gap between night and day temperatures should not exceed 10 degrees Celsius. The ideal day temperature during flowering depends once again on the strain, but most indicas thrive at 25-28 degrees, while sativas prefer somewhat lower values, ideally 23-26 degrees. Night temperature should ideally be 7-8 degrees lower than the day temperature, and never below 15 degrees Celsius. If the temperature drops below this value, the flowering will slow down a little, and the bud formation could be less compact and overall lighter in weight. The resin will not suffer much from low night temperature, and it will actually increase if the gap between day and night temperatures is at least 7 degrees Celsius. When the night has similar temperature to the day (very rare in nature) the resin production will suffer. "

And

"Temperature plays an important factor in ripening plants as well. The resin production is very much linked to heat, and if the temperature in the growroom drops below 18-20 degrees Celsius is hard to get white buds. "

Is bag appeal really worth losing precious resin and yield?

dixie wrecked

something i learned on the purpling, in the winter my nighttime temps get to be in the low 60's, even high 50's some nights, i get very dark purple leaves on what is supposed to be purple haze x durban poison. i recently upped to a 1k hps, and it seems to enhance the color, you can actually see where one leave crosses another, the shaded part will remain bright green.

last fall as an experiment because my room was crowded, i put a few girls outside to finish, night time temps were well into the 30's, not only did they turn the most beautiful purple, the pistils turned magenta! can't say anything as to the quality of that smoke compared to the usual conditions, they were getting light at night outside so they had to come back inside to finish.

you really have to try the cool temps before you knock them, i get them seasonally, in the summer temps stay high, and i much prefer my cool weather harvests over the warm weather cuts.

outdoe

"Bag appeal" heh ... well, to the uneducated at least. :/

It's sad really.

The reds/purples in plants, cannabis included, are simply anthocyanins.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthocyanin

They occur in pretty much all plants. They are not cannabinoids, and they are not psychoactive. They are what gives strains such as Blueberry and Granddaddy Purps their unique hues, and environmental factors (cold conditions in particular) are known to bring out these characteristics even more.

However, they do not contribute in any way to the traits that I personally prefer to concentrate on, such as potency, yield, flowering time, smell, and flavor ..... but if you just prefer a particular bud just because of its pretty color then that's up to you ..... each to their own I guess :) (i'm not a dealer, maybe that's where I'm falling down here) :)
Most tokers arnt educated, most growers are. most tokers arnt growers. capitalize surf with the wave life becomes easier, then when you going against the grain.