What's new

putting clones outdoors

Froglamander

I need help with the situation I have. I started from seed in mid/late february. Due to greenhouse/space problems I wasn't able to put my starts outside in the greenhouse to let them veg in natural light during the months of march and now april. I was able put a few out 2 weeks ago and they started to flower. I think the problem was was that I had them on 24/0 (my timer wasn't working and i didnt realize it, always went to bed early) and they were to old to have such a drastic change. So now I have a few trays of starts and I am wondering what I should do. I replaced the timer and put it at 18/6. However they only have been on 18/6 for 3 days and I'm wondering how I should proceed with these plants. Some have already sexed. I have the option to either keep them inside for another month on 18/6 then 16/8 or put them ouside in the greenhouse with supplemental lighting. Or just have them on an interrupted light cycle.
which is best : having a light in the morning and evening. or interrupting their light cycle in in evening?
any advice?
should they stay indoors or move them in the green house with supplemental light? if so what should my light schedule be and for how long? I am at 40.1 latitude.
also another questions. I had started some early girls on the 19th of january to clone from, but they have not sexed yet (????). I'm thinking i should just grow them out like they are outdoors now that they are so big. what precautions should I use to stop them from early flowering?
Well my hunch is from reading this thread is that I should move everything in the greenhouse with supplemental light. pot up and hit with nitrogen. Please any advice will keep me from losing all these nice starts.

Highcountry

Are your starts unrooted clones or seedlings? A gradual drop in light cycle over a few weeks is what I'd recommend, down to 20/4 then 18/6 then closer to your natural light cycle. If your starts are unrooted clones I'd keep them on the light cycle they were originally on until they're rooted then gradually drop the light cycle down. Peace

Froglamander

Are your starts unrooted clones or seedlings? A gradual drop in light cycle over a few weeks is what I'd recommend, down to 20/4 then 18/6 then closer to your natural light cycle. If your starts are unrooted clones I'd keep them on the light cycle they were originally on until they're rooted then gradually drop the light cycle down. Peace

they are seedlings. some have sexed (thus they have reached sexual maturity, right?) Yea I was going to keep them at 18/6 for a week then 16/8 for a week. then 15/9. then plant around may 24th when i have 14.6 hours of light plus about an hour with twilight. im also considering putting them in the green house with a 4 45w CFLs with an interrupted light cycle OR 1 few hours in the morning and evening to match the stepdown of 18/6 16/8 then 15/9. but someone made a case for an interrupted light cycle of 14/4/2/4. the advantage of the greenhouse would be to pot them up and hit them with grow nutes. however was wondering if CFLs would do the trick...

B

bajangreen

For me i have found that putting them out side when the outdoor photoperiod is decreasing is what its all about.

moondawg

This is the part that has been confusing me. I live near 33N and the absolute longest day of the year is a bit under 14.5 hours of daylight. The daylength here is always between 14/10 and 10/14, so for cannabis it's pretty close to a flowering photoperiod all throughout the year. Does this mean that any plants i put outside will most likely start flowering right away, regardless of what day they go out?

Friend, I live at 38 and am lucky enough to have a 15 hr day. For you however, the rules are a bit different and the answers are different for seeds/clones.

Freshly sprouted seeds will take 4-6 wks before sexuality is determine for indoor growing. Outdoors is a bit longer and is closer to 8 weeks. If you plant seeds/seedlings at 14.25 of daylenth, they will be just fine and grow in their veg state for about 2-21/2 monts and then will begin to flower for approximately 3 months, as outdoor plants take 21-30 days longer to mature that times given for indoor grows.

Clones however are sexually mature regaurdless of size. They know their sex and are simply biding thier time until daylenth drops below 14.5 hrs. Clones of any size or age, planted when daylenths are below 14.5 hrs will always, without exception begin to flower immediately.

Friend, if you plant seedlings, you will have a 5month grow and will harvest early to mid sept depending on strain.

If you pregrow plants and they have been grown for more than 4 weeks or so and you plant them outdoors with a daylenth below 14.5 hrs, thew will flower immediately.

Long flowering sativa's are a good choice for you. Many times, ive planted a long flowering sativa on April 25 and it began to flower, but because of haze/sativa stretch and a 4 month flowering time, i harvested a 7' plant on sept 15 or so. Mango haze is a dandy for you. Amnesia haze will blow you away with a 5 month flower.

Either plant seedlings or long flowering sativa's and youll dance your days away.

good luck and happy harvest

moondawg

moondawg,

that really clears things up for me, thank you!

Friend, one other point.

Becuase your daylenght is below 14.5/15, all short flowering indica's are really autoflowers for you. If you plant a1' clone of og kush which finishes in 7 weeks, it will immediately begin to flower and in 2 months, youll be harvesting a 3' plant with 4 ozs of smoke.

Maple leaf indica is a killer 45 day flowerer that will have you smokeing red eyed whoopass while other growers are starring at their veggers.

good luck