What's new

Purple turtles coco colloseum 1200w (DTW)

The bio-filter

The bio-filter

After being pointed in the direction of TheArchitect',and finishes his thread ...very informative!, had to do a bit of investigating on the bio-filter its benefits and see how he was using it...why..and...how i could apply it to my 'kfb'...

This is what found....very interesting....

Written by Rebecca .L.nelson( THE BIO -FILTER)
So what is a bio-filter
>A biofilter is simply a place for the bacteria to colonize.It provides large surface areas,proper temperature ,ph and dissolved oxygen levels.In raft ,bucket ,or media bed hydroponic systems, a separate bio-filter is NOT usually used because ,the rafts, media,tank walls and all other surfaces in the system provide sufficient area for the bacteria.

Another reason some growers will add a separate bio-filter to a hydroponic system is so that, if for some reason they are not using the plant grow bed/bucket but are still running the hydroponic tanks,there wont be a lack of bio-filtration.

In recirculating systems, the bio-filter is a critical piece of eqipment, because the grower does not have the benefit of the large surface area of the growing beds /bucket to provide the habitat for the bacteria.

A bio-filter is usually a tank,cannister or barrel of some sort that holds a large porous well aerated media.
picture.php

picture.php

BACTERIA are naturally occuring and will ultimately colonize the media in the bio-filter tanks and pipe walls.The speed of this process,is dependent on temperature,ph,salinity,surface area and flow rate.

My conclusion from all this

When using a system such as the kfb bucket it seems that it already is its own bio-filter ,the 2.5 gallon inner makes a large enough surface area for the bacteria to live in and colonize ,ive got good flow rate going through, and it is well aerated..it also using a media well siuted for bio-filtration...thus understanding why The Architect has used an inline bio-filter...hes using a much smaller surface area of media'the net pots' so it would be a must..for his system...

all the name of better dialin......

PT

D

DHF

I rolled with cheapass lava rocks forever and a day with krusty buckets , as well as with my 5 gal ebb and flow bucket flip rooms with dialed success , and have read the nooks and crannies in lava rocks are by far the best medium for the bio-filter ability although I ran GH 3 part and sterile rez`s so to speak......dunno....

Not up on all this new shit these days , but hey......I`m likin that waterfall thingy yas got goin on PT.....Here`s hopin for fast growth and big returns by end of cycle......

Good luck....DHF.....:ying:......

I rolled with cheapass lava rocks forever and a day with krusty buckets , as well as with my 5 gal ebb and flow bucket flip rooms with dialed success , and have read the nooks and crannies in lava rocks are by far the best medium for the bio-filter ability although I ran GH 3 part and sterile rez`s so to speak......dunno....

Not up on all this new shit these days , but hey......I`m likin that waterfall thingy yas got goin on PT.....Here`s hopin for fast growth and big returns by end of cycle......

Good luck....DHF.....:ying:......

thks.....Yeah def..the lava rocks have their advantages for sure..im loving them, fast growth for sure...I think the microbes and bio-filter is more of a preventive measure for high temps ,but still has its pro's..

Its my first time trying out the "hesienberg tea" innoculant, , and since im not using a chiller,(thing is damn expensive):biggrin: ,might be a Good idea...so far so good ...super healthy..

picture.php

picture.php

picture.phpalbumid=44655&pictureid=1049077

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I like what im seein purp turt.
:lurk:
can't wait to see what develops.
so keeps it up....

little update

little update

I like what im seein purp turt.
:lurk:
can't wait to see what develops.
so keeps it up....

Welcome to the show...

Todays the first day of flower for the 'bucket'...as you can see shes more than ready, i vegged it for 3 weeks..:woohoo:

All shes got since fully rooted cut is 6.5grams(1.7ec) maxibloom and 2ml silica /gallon and a ewc tea innoculant every time i change nutes... ,...i let it drop to 1.0ec then bring it up to 1.7ec ....the ph normally stays 5.4-5.8...i cant wait to see what the roots look like...

albumid=44655&pictureid=1052299

the humidifier is helping me alot to keep it at 65% humidity.
picture.php

The pics here show some clones taken at the same time as the one in the bucket ... they all three weeks but the one is huge!!!

just an experiment, I wanted to see what they would look like at different heights for the flip on the shelves, i know that she just more than doubles in height during stretch..so 3 weeks is too long ...

The smaller ones are seeds i popped cheese' they're just into 1 week so,..although they the seeds dont act like clones growth wise from the start its a good indication..il be vegging the clones that i took for the room some where in between 10-15 days now,so that they can finish under the top bucket without overlapping it and blocking
light...
I dont want any bushy plants just nice single colas and some short laterals...

picture.php

picture.php

got a mutant there making three shoots every side instead of two..
picture.php

19/4/13 day 7 kfb

19/4/13 day 7 kfb

The first week is up and shes exploding...i've been running 10 hours on 14 hours off since the flip..

>this apparently gives the plant a strong flowering signal..putting all its energy into making flowers ...its reduces stretch, the initial 30% to 10 % ,..shorter node spaces..more bud..but means you have to have vegged a bigger plant to start with...

>knowing this and where you plant finishes up, gives you the advantage of vegging your plant up big enough until 10% of your finished height ,then flipping and only stretching that 10%..finishing up in the sweet spot..

Since canabis is categorized as a short day plant,and all short day plants flower strongly with 10 hours or less..it makes sense to control it from the beginning of the flower cycle...12/12 keeps the plants in a semi-veg mode and is the general guideline...where as from the beginning all the energy and nutrients fed to plant under 10-on/14-off could be going into making flowers ...isnt that where all the magic happens anyway ..during the night...

I know djshort 'breeder' is doing this but starting with 11 on and 13 off the decreasing 30 min every week or 2..finally ending on 9 0n 15 0ff for final week...anyways here some pics and for more info go check out dan broughan lecture -growing canabis

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

this was a power africa plant almost 2oz plant with a 400 donut from my last run..shes definately got potential..
picture.php

Cleaned up all the suckers and lower 1/3 ,used em for more clones.
albumid=44655&pictureid=1055733

one big update!!!!

one big update!!!!

picture.php

apologies all for the lack of updates sometimes we can stumble along the way to success ,as i recently learnt but that is what prepares us for victory....

Im talking about my clones , the first round of 65 that i took was not great at all i think cold temps and the coco got the better of them..damn biatches:biggrin:...

anyways ....i finally got serious about my cloning game this time..no chancing this time theres to much on the line..

big ups to kingralph..you da man....always read your thread and for years ignored all the advice and suggestions about aero cloners and there ease...now i love this thing its SUPER-quick!!.....due to my absenteeism heres big update on whats been going on under my roof..i wont ramble on il let the pics do the explaining ....

Pt

lets start where we left off..

good news all the cuttings in bubbler made it and rooted they are now planted and will be my new bonsai moms i selected the best 24 of them.
picture.php

picture.php

coco party cups and 1 teaspoon mycoroot..
picture.php

picture.php

next up i built an aeroponic cloner 70 site ..to ensure this time that i have 100% success so i can fill the racks...

picture.php

picture.php

AND voila here she is full of clones
ic.picture.php

picture.php

small roots and nubs on most if not all the cuttings..so that means green light in two weeks fo sho!.

Here are my moms that the cuttings came from.

they will be getting flowered too , i have a spare closet ,but i can only choose 2 flower 2 because of space...i didnt plan for this but now i got these overvegged moms that were waiting around....

first 2 are in 5 gallon buckets hydroton
albumid=44655pictureid=1073462

Here are 2 in 1 gallon coco watered seven times daily
picture.php

picture.php

kfb update

kfb update

before the racks take off in two weeks now that i got cuts i leave you with some krustypics...vegged only three weeks and flipped here shes is.

week 5 almost half way there
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php