What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pulmonary function test

Smokerman

Veteran
I’m having a pft on Friday and wondering if anyone else has had this test.
I’m looking for the questions I should ask the respirologist after the test. I really didn’t get much help from google.

Gry

Veteran
Went through one a couple of weeks back.
Couple of parts to it, in the first part they put me in a booth with a tube in my mouth, telling
me when and how to breath. Not really bad other than the booth sure was small and is a bit of a squeeze to get in there.
Second part involves walking at different paces with an O2 device on a finger they check at intervals.
Took about a hour.

blondie

I’ve had a few of these now. First was done by primary care. No booth for me at any time. There was a tube I blew into. Its quite simple and there is a person there telling you exactly what to do, when to breath when to stop, The person administering the test may or may not have immediate results. I’ve had it both ways. Eventually you will get results with a summary and some charts. The summary says if your lungs are Not doing well and may say the type of condition you have. This is dependent on which part of the test had poor results. I didn’t have the run at primary care but did at the pulmonologist. One more thing. This is pretty much the way I figured things and my recollection.

Three Berries

We use to get them at work once a year. If you partially breath though your nose prior to the exhale you can cheat......

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Sounds interesting - but I have never had one of these tests - haven't seen a Doc since 2016 - but they want me to test for all sorts of things - bowel and prostate etc - but since I feel so healthy - I haven't bothered with it - maybe I should - Hmmm

Smokerman

Veteran
Sounds interesting - but I have never had one of these tests - haven't seen a Doc since 2016 - but they want me to test for all sorts of things - bowel and prostate etc - but since I feel so healthy - I haven't bothered with it - maybe I should - Hmmm
A lot of the routine tests are really noninvasive, The question is do you want to open that can of worms.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Get checked... I feel like hell and have been checked for all sorts of shit. I had colonoscopy and found a small growth that was the bad kind. A year or two or three later this thing would have been a serious issue. Lung function may not be needed unless you have issues though.
Most probably the sensible thing to do - I agree - my lungs function very well for someone of my age - due to hours and hours of cardio work and H.I.I.T. ( high intensity interval training ) over the past year - and considering that I have been toking/smoking fairly regularly since 1975 -

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
A lot of the routine tests are really noninvasive, The question is do you want to open that can of worms.
Ya - but it is sensible to get regular tests - that's what my reasoning/logic tells me - but I'm just one of those guys that won't see a doctor - unless an ambulance takes me to an emergency room - and I have no choice in the matter - silly really - I know - perhaps you are right about the 'can of worms too?' - at the back of my mind -

blondie

I was like this... never went to the doctor. Until things went very south on me. I still hate going and often times argue with the doctor for tests. Go get tests, educate yourself, make your own decisions. You are in charge of your health.

Smokerman

Veteran
I was like this... never went to the doctor. Until things went very south on me. I still hate going and often times argue with the doctor for tests. Go get tests, educate yourself, make your own decisions. You are in charge of your health.
Ya - but it is sensible to get regular tests - that's what my reasoning/logic tells me - but I'm just one of those guys that won't see a doctor - unless an ambulance takes me to an emergency room - and I have no choice in the matter - silly really - I know - perhaps you are right about the 'can of worms too?' - at the back of my mind -
You have a family to take care of, do the right thing.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
doctor i have now wants to test for damn near anything these days. he knows i am about to hit 65, and hopes i'll go along so he can defraud all of us of tax money via medicare/medicaid by testing for shit that has nothing wrong with it. his "curiosity" is too damn expensive for my tastes.

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not sure but I think I had one when I had open heart surgery. Took it homes with me and had to relearn to breathe

Latest posts

Latest posts