What's new

pull or push air through scrubber

bigwity

Veteran
do you push it or pull it through your filer im pulling atm seems to be ok which is best

always pull air through pal thats why filter have that white sleeve on them if you push air through them it lessens the life of your filter by clogging the carbon up

hippydan

I was hoping to push air through my filter, and have it act as a poor man's muffler as well. Guess I'm back to the drawing board to see how I'm going to get this tent to work properly! (I made a mistake and purchased a filter that won't fit horizontally in my tent and afraid it may take too much space if vertical) Thanks for the info everyone.

Panoramical

Pushing is always more work.

Whether it makes any real difference, depends on the type of fan you're using. I've got an axial fan (PC fan), which is generally the weakest (and quietest, which is why I use them), and I use them to pull through the scrubber. If you have a mixed-flow fan (generally the strongest) with plenty of pulling power and plenty of CFM to spare, whether it's pulling or pushing won't make any real difference. It's only when you're working close to the fans capability that you might encounter problems.

There is a science to this, where you can account for the negative pressure ratings of the fan (and more I can't remember off the top of my head), but I filtered out what I thought was useful to know and remembered:

Pulling = less strain on the fan.

So that is what I suggest.

Old Soul

Veteran
you can push or pull through the filter. it does work more efficiently if you pull thru it but it will do the job either way. In most of my setups I have had to push thru the filter because of space constraints as well and have never had a problem. the filters I buy usually last about a yr. always have a spare on hand for when your current one goes out.

hippydan

Whether it makes any real difference, depends on the type of fan you're using. I've got an axial fan (PC fan), which is generally the weakest (and quietest, which is why I use them)

The 4" (bigger than a standard PC fan, yes) axial fans I bought, are waaaaaaay too loud. Are you getting away with smaller fans? What size is your cab/tent/room?

you can push or pull through the filter. it does work more efficiently if you pull thru it but it will do the job either way. In most of my setups I have had to push thru the filter because of space constraints as well and have never had a problem. the filters I buy usually last about a yr. always have a spare on hand for when your current one goes out.

Are carbon filters re-usable? As in can I decapitate my filter, replace the carbon and be on my merry way? Seems like a much more reasonable way to go about it, rather than spending 100$+ on a wire mesh frame and a cotton sock every year.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
pulling is better.

if you push then you need to modify the filter/white sleave that goes round the outside so that it goes round the inside of the intake pipe. couple of home-made spring clips made out of wire holds it to the outside of the inside.

daoboxer

pulling is better.

if you push then you need to modify the filter/white sleave that goes round the outside so that it goes round the inside of the intake pipe. couple of home-made spring clips made out of wire holds it to the outside of the inside.

Hey VG,
I'm about to encounter this problem myself. Because of the way the boxes are set up, I'm gonna need to push. Do you have the same problem with your cabs? I'm assuming so.
I didn't get what you meant by intake pipe. Could you be more elaborate please? Sorry if I'm being a bit dull.
Easy.

statusquo

Isn't pulling 4 times more efficient than pushing? IIRC this is what Jorge Says. A lot of his information is outdated and anecdotal but I figured air mechanics are independent of pot growing so hopefully he would have done the proper research to know this claim is right.

daoboxer

Isn't pulling 4 times more efficient than pushing? IIRC this is what Jorge Says. A lot of his information is outdated and anecdotal but I figured air mechanics are independent of pot growing so hopefully he would have done the proper research to know this claim is right.

Hiya. Are we talking 4 times more efficient in terms of the fan, not the filter? I hope so.
Edit: what I meat to say was, are we saying that the fan functions 4 times more efficiently if we pull through the filter? Not that the filter fiters better, right?

Cojito

if size is not an issue i'd pull ...

but in a micro grow box/cab you just might need to set up your PC fan inside and push hot air into a filter set up outside the cab to save space. with a good PC fan and DIY filter this works just fine. one advantage; with the filter on the outside the inside fan noise (and light) are muffled.

Panoramical

The 4" (bigger than a standard PC fan, yes) axial fans I bought, are waaaaaaay too loud. Are you getting away with smaller fans? What size is your cab/tent/room?

I'm also using 4" (120mm) fans. My grow is what you'd class as micro. Almost 2.5sq ft.

Noctua NF-S12B FLX Ultra Quiet 120mm fans are the ones I have. Pretty quiet, but you pay the price.

STUPPA

I had to push thru a filter for 2-3 years because the growspace was too small to fit a filter in .I put the filter and fan above in the loft, only prob i ever had was casued by the leaky case you get on s&p fans, if you have to push don't use an s&p fan !.

Another down side is increased noise with the air going in the intake . A cf will cut that noise quite alot

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You can reuse the carbon thats in them. After a year of use I open all my scrubbers and wash the carbon real good. Don't try and get the water clear as it will never happen. After its washed I place it on a large cardboard and let it dry with a fan. Put it back in all of the scrubbers and its as good as new. I can get 3/4 uses out of a batch Make sure to use filtered water for the wash. The more contaminated the water is the less life yo will get out of it.

designer

When you pull you get all, even the leaks to some degree. If you push you don't get that same effect imo.