What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Protecting plant stalks from becoming lunch

Treevly

I have rabbits, deer, and coyotes around here. Something - likely rabbits, judging by the height of the damage - last year chewed the stalks of several plants. There was some damage & loss. A friend is donating some of the commercial product, Skoot, but I am looking for other products as well. What comes to mind is pine pitch, or perhaps some sort of tar. I'm thinking that a light application of pitch on the stalks would make them quite unappetizing for varmints, as would tar, but I am unsure about any side effects which might occur to the plants. Also, pitch or tar would be waterproof. If you have any opinions about this, or any other product suggestions, fire away. I'm thinking of both rabbits and deer. Thank you.

Treevly

Thanks for the suggestion, Gorilla. Perhaps there are similar wraps of metal which is less expensive than copper. For example, I would think that aluminium would be just about as useful.

growlegal

Veteran
Foliar spray
I mix rotten raw egg with water and chili sauce
The smell detours them and if they do taste it it is usually only once

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
How about horticultural grease .... the stuff they put on trees in the Fall?

Radicle Rye

Something like this mesh

wrapped around the stalk will prevent most small rodents and slugs from causing damage.

I agree, a physical barrier is the most effective way to deal with the problem. I had used some aluminum mesh screen you can pick up at any local hardware store. Cheaper than copper, but no slug defense. Also, do not rule out deer. At least that is what I have ran into in the past. Best of luck.

St. Phatty

I agree, a physical barrier is the most effective way to deal with the problem. I had used some aluminum mesh screen you can pick up at any local hardware store. Cheaper than copper, but no slug defense. Also, do not rule out deer. At least that is what I have ran into in the past. Best of luck.

If you want to discourage deer, just persuade a Mountain Lion to visit.

That seems to clear out the deer for the season.

No deer this spring. Found a deer's front leg next to a fruit tree in the backyard.

Radicle Rye

If you want to discourage deer, just persuade a Mountain Lion to visit.

That seems to clear out the deer for the season.

No deer this spring. Found a deer's front leg next to a fruit tree in the backyard.

HaHA I'm waiting on Joe exotic to get back to me about sending those mountain lions over here. Our natural defense in the area is coyote's and drunk hillbillies.

Latest posts

Latest posts