What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

proposed new gun regulations ?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
the feds are thinking about proposing some new gun regulations. for once, the gist of it is something i can support , from what i've read so far. they are proposing that if you are buying and reselling firearms "and turning a profit" , they want you to get a FFL and have buyers pass background checks. as long as those are given out AS REQUESTED (at a reasonable price) and not doled to the few they think are "deserving" of a business license, i'm good with that. ditto background checks on sales other than to family, or gifts etc. they'll have to have a number of sales per month/year which would be the basis of a "business". if you are a collector, and sell a couple of your collection now and then, you shouldn't need a license IMHO. if you go to gun shows, buy 5 or 6 and then turn around and sell them, guess what? you NEED a license because you ARE "dealing in firearms". i knew a former Virginia LEO that frequented gun shows and flea markets that made pretty good (tax free) money doing exactly that, by knowingly selling them to prohibited persons because "he felt bad for them" or "his wife gets scared at night while he's at work". to which i say "tough luck, don't do the crime" and "his wife can go pass a background check & buy it herself". what do you folks think? criticism, mockery, suggestions, it's all welcome, lol...

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
I am a responsible man who has guns, lots of them...some are SBR weapons and most are capable to hold 30 rounds...I own my own range and shoot responsibly using a suppressor to keep the noise down...if the government decides to regulate my hobby and force me to get an additional liscence I would consider that an infringement of my right...I have morals and would never sell to a suspect character without the correct credentials but having the government get involved in my affairs just isn't gonna happen...I believe backround checks and a waiting period are logical and prudent but to tell me I can't sell a firearm isn't going to go well for anyone...if I was a dealer and sold a half dozen pieces I could see it but not at my level...once the government gets their foot in the door there's no stopping them...

armedoldhippy

Veteran
where do you see any "infringement" besides keeping guns out of prohibited persons possession which is ALREADY the law? nothing proposed would keep you from buying a gun, new or used, unless you had already been barred from doing so because of a criminal record or mental issue. i'll wait while you twist this beyond recognition...

armedoldhippy

Veteran
the proposal as worded wouldn't affect you, Boo, that i can tell. actually, you go further than i am willing to on the waiting periods. folks (mostly women) have been murdered by spouses/stalkers while "waiting" for permission to buy a gun to protect themselves and family with. if someone says "i'll kill you!" you shouldn't have to wait for more than 2 or 3 ...seconds before arming yourself. fuck a law that leaves you helpless. that's one i'd break myself.

moose eater

the feds are thinking about proposing some new gun regulations. for once, the gist of it is something i can support , from what i've read so far. they are proposing that if you are buying and reselling firearms "and turning a profit" , they want you to get a FFL and have buyers pass background checks. as long as those are given out AS REQUESTED (at a reasonable price) and not doled to the few they think are "deserving" of a business license, i'm good with that. ditto background checks on sales other than to family, or gifts etc. they'll have to have a number of sales per month/year which would be the basis of a "business". if you are a collector, and sell a couple of your collection now and then, you shouldn't need a license IMHO. if you go to gun shows, buy 5 or 6 and then turn around and sell them, guess what? you NEED a license because you ARE "dealing in firearms". i knew a former Virginia LEO that frequented gun shows and flea markets that made pretty good (tax free) money doing exactly that, by knowingly selling them to prohibited persons because "he felt bad for them" or "his wife gets scared at night while he's at work". to which i say "tough luck, don't do the crime" and "his wife can go pass a background check & buy it herself". what do you folks think? criticism, mockery, suggestions, it's all welcome, lol...
The details and legwork involved in determining if you made a profit ought to become comical in short order.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
businesses/licensees already have to report sales numbers, profits made, taxes paid etc. if you are buying them and pretending to sell at a loss, that's gonna draw attention of a whole 'nother kind. IRS, maybe? it's going to boil down to numbers of sales, i suspect. they aren't going to force you to comply beforehand, just burn your ass up for illegally dealing in firearms without a license when caught. i doubt they truly care if you turned a profit....

moose eater

businesses/licensees already have to report sales numbers, profits made, taxes paid etc. if you are buying them and pretending to sell at a loss, that's gonna draw attention of a whole 'nother kind. IRS, maybe? it's going to boil down to numbers of sales, i suspect. they aren't going to force you to comply beforehand, just burn your ass up for illegally dealing in firearms without a license when caught. i doubt they truly care if you turned a profit....
Yep, but in the private arena of gun sales, in some places requiring no reporting at all, such as in Alaska, and with a firearm potentially changing hands a dozen times or more in its or the owner's lifetime, with bartering, unspecified bequeathments in wills, cash sales, even as collateral in drug deals (heaven forbid!! :) ), etc., you can see where the plan falls a bit short where the rubber hits the pavement.

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
i'll wait while you twist this beyond recognition...
if this was directed towards me then you're bigger asshole than I thought...most of your posts are poking people and you seem to be looking for a fight...I'm not that guy and I will politely ask you to refrain from including me in any of your posts...I've never been rude to you but yet you seem to poke me in an innocent way trying to get my ire up...I'm a peaceful man and ask that you ignore me...I didn't come here to fight yet you've tried to engage me multiple times...

armedoldhippy

Veteran
yeah, leaving guns to a friend/relative in a will is a tough nut that i doubt they'll ever crack. as proposed, private sales IE selling one to a buddy/cousin, etc isn't a problem. it's folks buying quantities and re-selling them, many from around here and Virginia/Kentucky end up found at crime scenes/on criminals in points north. folks moving them like that need to see the light, one way or the other. turning a blind eye to this behavior is the sort of thing that could lead to us losing the 2nd amendment rights that we have. responsible gun owners need to be part of the solution, not the problem... which will it be ? :dunno:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i'll wait while you twist this beyond recognition...
if this was directed towards me then you're bigger asshole than I thought...
that was NOT directed toward you, Boo, and i cannot figure out why you might think so. i may very well come across as an ass, but i don't have a corner on the market there, either. if you feel that i'm poking you, i'm sorry that you are sensitive to that. i have "liked" and agreed with you several times, but you must not have noticed. nor did you catch the term "infringed" in my and dogzters crossfire. sorry you felt as if it was aimed at you.

Last edited:

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
I read what you posted 1 minute after my post and it sure looks as if it's directed at me...who was it directed for if not myself...you're comments have been somewhat abrasive towards me and mebbe I'm just a little sensitive about them...liking my posts has little to do with what I perceive as abrasive...my appologies if that post wasn't directed at me but I don't see how it could have been otherwise...as I said, I'm not looking for a fight but ask around, I'm the guy that will rain fire on someones doorstep...i'm good if you are brother...

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
The Constitution says 'shall not be infringed', that is infringement along with all other gun legislation so is invalid, you can't go against the Constitution period.

ALL legislation is merely policy NOT law and can be ignored, police are policy enforcers not law enforcement, they rule at the point of a gun which is the Mafia.

Government are public servants NOT rulers/slave owners, they serve us not the other way around, anything else is slavery (you don't need a chain around your neck to be a slave).

Learn about guardianship/slavery that has been going on for over 800 years, it is coming to an end;
If you don't believe it then I dare you to go to the Zoom meeting every Wednesday at 5:30pm Perth Western Australia time (link near the bottom of the page) and debate with Leith Masters on this, you will fail big time as she will quote historical fact.

Old Piney

I believe that we already have The National Instant Criminal Background Check System ,it's federal and as far as I know all legal gun dealer must do before any sales. I believe the only gray area is private sales, evan dealers at gun shows need to. We don't need new laws just enforcement of the ones we got aready

Reactions: Boo

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
down this way the gun shows, other than the block of dealers, is like the wild west...no papers, no checks, just cash and carry...I collect Colt woodsman pistols and have never shown ID at the point of sale...

Old Piney

down this way the gun shows, other than the block of dealers, is like the wild west...no papers, no checks, just cash and carry...I collect Colt woodsman pistols and have never shown ID at the point of sale...
Might be “private sales” or the notorious gun show loophole like I said no new law just more enforcement.

Ca++

Just seems like due diligence. Like not giving a minor smokes or alcohol. You want to know the buyer of your gun, isn't banned from owning one.

As it stands, both before and after these law change, I can fly over and get a gun. Either used, or a new one, by asking someone to get it for me. As is perfectly legal for them to buy one, then sell it me. So why even bother with licensing at all. It needs to be better, to work.