What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Propagation Through Air Layering

Hashist

I will never expand the technical horizons of cultivation. I have no special talents or qualifications that make me an authority on the hobby. I do, however, have curiosity and an occasional opportunity to delve into something that does not get a lot of exposure and looks pretty cool in an under-the-radar kind of way. Large-scale air-layering is one such instance. The post below reflects what I've learned through research and experience. I've posted this at a few other sites, but it certainly is not in widespread publication. I hope you find it interesting and informative.

While trying to get compliant with state and local mmj statutes and ordinances, I was unable to actively provide medical cannabis to my patients, which left me nursing a Blue Dream plant for almost a year without being able to flower it . After more than nine months of vegging, this is what she looked like:

2JbhW.jpg

She was too big for my room and had to live between two lights because she doesn't fit under them, so I decided to air layer her top three feet to use as a new mother.

Air layering is a form of propagation that elicits roots from a plant branch/stem while the while a branch/stem is very much a part of the "mother" plant. Once roots have formed, the rooted appendages are harvested and planted themselves as complete, new plants.

Air layering has helped me manage my grow room population easily: None of the clones count as a plant until they're separated from the mother, and when I separate them, they already have a functional set of roots, so it takes almost no time for the clones to take up vigorous independent growth. I air layer Blue Dream branches between 12" and 18" in length, making the clones nicely sized when they flip into flower. The Blue Dream clones only need about six days to start vegging after being separated from the mother, so I save a lot of space and hassle by using this propagation method.

As you'll see, air layering can be a very effective method of propagation, and it can be used to address some otherwise very inconvenient size problems - it's a perfect solution to plants that have exceeded their useful sizes. The nicest thing about using air layering to clone a new mother? You can continue to harvest clones off the stump while the new mother establishes her roots: Your grow continues uninterrupted, and you use the entire plant without wasting any part except the stump itself.

Back to the project....

I cut the big 6' Blue Dream into two plants. The top section was drafted as the new BD mother for my room, while the stump with its remaining branches served as my clone donor until the new mother was ready.

Here's the large BD plant right before the separation. Note the tin foil tumor on the middle of the main stem:

Gm6qR.jpg

zuykN.jpg

About three weeks prior to this pic, I had scraped away the outer layer of bark at the center of the tumor and slathered the wound with Clonex. I then packed moist soil (peat works well, too) around the wound and bandaged the whole thing with foil. Periodic checking let me know when the roots had developed to the point that they could support the new plant on their own.

When the roots sufficiently developed, I severed the top of the plant just below the tin-foil tumor:

2sQmR.jpg

This is what the new roots looked like underneath the foil tumor. In the interest of full disclosure, this pic comes from an another project, not the Blue Dream otherwise featured here:

BQOAG.jpg

Hashist

This is what was left of the stump:

vxSPL.jpg

lODBQ.jpg

As you can see, a fair number of branches and a lot of foliage were left on the stump. This material provided clones for another two grow cycles while the new mother settled into her new home.

The new mother (in a 7 gallon pot!):

t8KWR.jpg

The new mother at two weeks:

CQBCc.jpg

Hashist

That leaves the stump....

I started a new set of air layers on the stump within the next week. As the air layers began to root, the plant continued to grow. In the pix below, the air layers are nearly ready for harvest. The foil "tumors" containing the new clone's roots are discernible (with some difficulty) on the branches:

jWd5g.jpg

gQaJs.jpg

Cutting:

uY49E.jpg

NSwdY.jpg

Hashist

Leftovers:

DiD49.jpg

ydpQt.jpg

After cutting, I harden the clones off under a plastic sheet (home-style humidome). I keep them totally enclosed for three days under indirect light, and then partially enclosed for another two. After removing them from the home-made humidome, I veg them under indirect light for 24 hours, and then under the HIDs for four-five days.

oGNvQ.jpg

Using this cloning method requires me to keep larger "mother" plants than I would otherwise need.

QMJ6N.jpg

I hope, if nothing else, that you found this entertaining. If I'm lucky, maybe one of y'all will find it helpful, too.

Hashist

Other info....

When scraping away the bark, I girdle the stem, and the width of the girdle really depends on the size of the plant being air layered. For the six-footer above, I made an approximately 2" ring around the main stem. For the smaller branches, I made 1" rings.

B4MkF.jpg

With a sharp knife, make two parallel cuts about 1 inch apart around the stem and through the bark and cambium layer. Connect the two parallel cuts with one long cut (a) and remove the ring of bark (b), leaving the inner woody tissue exposed (c).

My one regret with this thread is not being able to get pix of this part of the procedure. I just was profoundly inept at making the cuts while trying to simultaneously take pictures. I hope the illustration helps a bit. I never was able to get the bark and cambium off in two pieces as in the illustration, either, by the way.

I should say something about the keeping the "tumors" moist, too.

I keep the tumors moist, but not soaking. I check them every four days or so, but the size of the tumor and how much aeration it gets will determine how quickly each one dries. I use a syringe to inject water into the tumor. Once I see roots in the medium, I hammer them with Roots Excelurator until I separate the new plant.

This is NOT a difficult process to master! You may need more than one effort to get to 100% a success rate, but this technique is eminently doable by anyone, and you should have a VERY significant success rate with very little effort even the first time out of the gate.

Bobbles

Nice plant and great job... Thick ass stem! Air layer works for fruit trees so no reason it wont work for Canna. Sphagnum moss works well for this...

Imagine throwing one of those gigantic plants into flowering :)

Granger2

Veteran
Hashist,
Nice work. I've been familiar with this technique for decades, but have never tried it. I think I will now. Great solution for many situations. I'd probably use coco. In the diagrams I've seen, they cut notches [wedges] half way thru, not girdling the stem completely. This gives the new plant some circulation to keep it from wilting. Seems it may have less incentive to root though. What do you think? Thanks for you work. -granger

Hashist

There is a LOT of room for modifying the techniques I used. I rarely had problem with wilt (I don't want to say never, but I don't recall having to deal with the issue), but your suggestion seems logical. The notch thing is a little worrisome - the image I'm getting is similar to a lumberjack's notch. With the size of the air layers I work with, I would worry about the branch collapsing under its own weight if the integrity of the branch were compromised too much, especially if the main stem were being air layered - that is, IF the notch is as I'm envisioning. A cannabis' plant's hollow center does not provide much support! :)

billy_big_bud!

Proud Cannadian Cannabist
Veteran
that is some pretty fuckin impressive work! i had always pictured the procedure with smaller shoots. seeing it done with whole branches is mucho badass. kudos to u my friend.

gtgio

Holy fuck...Extremely cool. This is the best example of air layering I've ever seen. Huge props, way to go man.

Granger2

Veteran
Hashist,
If I try it, I'd probably do it your way rather than notching it, but I think I'd leave about 1/3 of the circumference uncut. -granger

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have you ever tried grafting with trees that size? What do you yield off those? lol... my god man what have you done. :)

Hashist

Hashist,
If I try it, I'd probably do it your way rather than notching it, but I think I'd leave about 1/3 of the circumference uncut. -granger

I have no doubt it will work spectacularly! I hope you'll post up some pix of your successes.

Hashist

Have you ever tried grafting with trees that size? What do you yield off those? lol... my god man what have you done. :)

LOL - I would never flower anything like that (even the new mother) indoors without aggressive pruning. Yield really depends on how large you let the clones get before you flower them. For that blue dream, I'd get about four-five zips off a single clone of the size you see in the pics that show the root balls - maybe 18"-24" at separation. I would veg them for 5-10 days, sometimes even two weeks for the slow girls, and then flip'm.

Hashist

I should rephrase how I answered that last question, because root mass can't be omitted or its influence understated. They physical size of the air layer is a factor in determining yield, but there are other even more significant factors, such as the size of root mass. I use Roots Excelurator thru most of flower to accelerate root growth. Once the air layer is transplanted to dirt, it gets Roots Excelurator at 2-3 times its recommended application rate for the first few waterings, and then I incrementally bring application back to the recommended rate. I see hyper-accelerated root formation initially, and then constant normally accelerated root growth throughout the rest of flower. I seem to do okay on yield with these tools.

BrownThumb

Well this is an eye opener... Thank you for putting up this information, this is really useful, especially when you see your pictures showing the chronology and results...awesome!!!

BrownThumb

...They physical size of the air layer is a factor in determining yield, but there are other even more significant factors, such as the size of root mass. I use Roots Excelurator thru most of flower to accelerate root growth.

I just Googled up Roots Excelurator and the products I am seeing are not cheap. House and Garden Root Excelurator - .25 Liter is $61. This is the stuff you recommend? If so, how long would a quarter liter last?

Hashist

I agree, BrownThumb - in the packaged quantities, Roots Exceluratur is not inexpensive. The application rate for RE is 1 ml/gal, so it's easy to figure out how long a container of RE will last: A 250 ml (1/4 liter) bottle of RE will last for 250 gallons of water. Per gallon of water, RE is just about the most economical product on the market - that's 25 cents per gallon in the 250 ml size. The other root accelerants on the market are more expensive per gallon, sometimes ridiculously so, and I've found none that work as well as RE. My Smart Pots get white "beards" from the roots growing out the sides - solid white walls of roots from mid-pot to the floor. I really is one of the two most amazing products I use in my grow (the other being Sea Green - I won't grow without either one any more).

Hashist

I reckon she'd be a clear 20 feet if you flowered her... lol :)

I would have loved to drop one of those 6' girls OD, but the law doesn't allow OD grows in MI. Even if they did, I think she'd be conspicuous by harvest, and rippers suck! It's fun to daydream, though..... Man, that would be cool.

Latest posts

Latest posts