What's new

Prop 215 Legal Vertical 600w 600 watt digital grow light HPS 4x4x6.5 Tent 30 Plants

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
Will Post Pics Once Setup

Wanted to get this thread setup so I push myself to get it all setup, pics taken and get this show on the road. Here is the main information behind this grow.

Medical Marijuana Patient

Prop 215 Legal

4x4x6.5 Tent

1 Quantum Digital 600hps

Fox Farms Ocean Forest/Perlite/Dolomite Lime Soil Mix

Molasses and Fox Farms Nutes

3 Gallon Square Pots

3 shelving units which are 3 rows tall and will hold 3 plants per level.

27 total plants on the 3 shelving units

3 plants in the front of the tent on the floor (just to get to my max 30 plant count and why NOT put something in the front since I will only have the left/back/right shelves and NOTHING in the front)

400+CFM inline fan

Strains: All Crosses and Untested

Super Lemon Haze x White Kong
Romulan x White Kong
Purple Romulan Pheno x White Kong
1776 x White Kong
White Kong x White Kong

I am pretty much just looking for keepers to breed with and to test my first vertical grow. I will then be testing a 1200w single tent vertical versus 2 600w vertical grows and see which yields best for myself.

I will be vegging my girls for a bit more now since I just tossed them under the 600hps (was previously under a 110w biax t5 2 bulb setup) until I feel they are large enough. Since there will be 3 levels of plants I know the stretch is important to watch especially with only 1 600 hps light in the tent.

I am not going to be using a screen in the middle, going to bare bulb it and cool out the top with the 400+ cfm inline fan. If my girls start to lean under weight then I will string up from the top of the tent. Same goes if they start going towards the light. A screen would only piss me off trying to work around it and so far stringing has worked well for me whether me pulling them down to get under or light or to lift them up so they don't snag their stems under weight.

Once in the flowering vertical cab I will start posting pictures. I think veg pics are boring myself and since everything is unproven I don't want to focus on any one single plant out of 30 if I end up culling it during the flowering period.

If I had another 600hps right now I would toss it in there BUT I don't so I will only run the single 600hps and who knows what it could do with a 4x4x6.5 grow area to enjoy. I do feel a 1200w vertical tent setup would really push yields with 30 girls though.

Any thoughts, questions or ideas feel free and post them up. Also if you have a 600 vertical setup toss up pics and or final yields so I can keep note of possible yields.

Never done vertical before BUT wanted to see the yield differences and see if I should make the switch to 100% vert or not.

Relentless

Veteran
dude I am super interested in this!! please let me know how it works for you! especially the experiment with the two 600s together vs seperate.

i have a 4.6x4.6x6.6 with two 600s and thinking of putting them vertical.. i was gonna do like 10 plants vegd for a good while, but i might just do 30 clones like you..

how long do u plan to veg the clones? or are u going to veg them at all?

thanks!

medmaker420

Veteran
I am vegging them, I go by height versus time vegged. I think it gives me a better range on the end result versus some phenos growing faster/slower in veg and assuming they are weaker plants. Some veg slower SO height makes more sense for me.

I am planning on doing some until 24", some at 15"-18" and some around 12" and if I have the time some around 6"-8" just to gauge the finish heights/dry weight.

More or less a learning experience to try and dial in the vert setup based on height of vegged plants versus finish height and see how and what yields best in the fastest amount of time.

medmaker420

Veteran
Once I start the flowering I will have pics in this thread. Happy to update as I go along.

Relentless

Veteran
great! Im about to order my second 600 for my tent.. im debating on getting two cooltubes..
i just dont know if I would benefit from the light being vertical, seeing as how I would have a low number of plants vegd for like 60 days, BUT STILL ON THE GROUND..
im still in the process of finding my mothers, so I cant do a big sog right now..

medmaker420

Veteran
you will get more HEIGHT, side lighting like crazy so buds UP and DOWN the girls.

I am going to run bare bulbs myself, easier to work around and just putting them on their own independent light hangers (those up and down yo yos) ONCE I test the 2 600's in one tent.

For the single I will still do the up down yo yo so when I go in to work I can move the light up to tend to my girls and bring it back down to the height I need.

I think the cooltubes are not needed if the air exchange is doing well BUT that is why I am testing many combinations. Not a ton of work done with vert for me to compare against besides what I have seen/read online and there isn't enough info from MANY different grows for me NOT to test multiple setup options.

Many people run small plant numbers in vert, they can grow them up to the damn ceiling of the tent so how could they NOT yield decent especially if you will veg for 60 days.

great! Im about to order my second 600 for my tent.. im debating on getting two cooltubes..
i just dont know if I would benefit from the light being vertical, seeing as how I would have a low number of plants vegd for like 60 days, BUT STILL ON THE GROUND..
im still in the process of finding my mothers, so I cant do a big sog right now..

yes get cool tubes.. trust me it makes a huge difference and they are cheap. i have a 10x8ft room with 3 6's hanging side ways on 14 plants that have been vegged for 60 days Horizontaly then switched to vertical for a month i am 1 week into flower now and all is good. im having problems with the plants being so big they touch the cool tubes. Each tube recieves roughly 100 cfm of suction and yet the leaves will burn if they are touching the tubes. My room temps are 80 with absolutley no a/c being plummed in also i forgot to mention that i have a carbon scrubber pulling an additional 420 cfm up and out

medmaker420

Veteran
I am not going to run cool tubes, I think it only makes sense if you can't manage the girls. If you can keep them AWAY from the light you should be able to keep them away from the cool tubes as well. Also you have a big ass 3 stack in your way versus being able to move the lights up/down and out of the way.

AC to me only makes sense if you can't manage your ambient temps. If you can then it really doesn't matter and then all that matters is the air exchange in the tent/closet/room and nothing more.

Inside have a fan on the bottom of the tent blowing the hot air UP and then allow the inline fan on the top to suck everything out versus having a ton of cooltubes, ducting and bullshit all crammed in there.

If I had a large room as in 10x anything odds are running tubes wouldnt bother me a bit BUT in a tent or cabinet even those scrubbers and fans can cramp the area real fast and that doesn't even bring up the cool tubes and ducting.

I am not going to run cool tubes, I think it only makes sense if you can't manage the girls. If you can keep them AWAY from the light you should be able to keep them away from the cool tubes as well. Also you have a big ass 3 stack in your way versus being able to move the lights up/down and out of the way.

AC to me only makes sense if you can't manage your ambient temps. If you can then it really doesn't matter and then all that matters is the air exchange in the tent/closet/room and nothing more.

Inside have a fan on the bottom of the tent blowing the hot air UP and then allow the inline fan on the top to suck everything out versus having a ton of cooltubes, ducting and bullshit all crammed in there.

If I had a large room as in 10x anything odds are running tubes wouldnt bother me a bit BUT in a tent or cabinet even those scrubbers and fans can cramp the area real fast and that doesn't even bring up the cool tubes and ducting.

tru BUT im in a 10x8 and when your growing trees verticly space becomes a real issue hince why i started cool tubes also i am not ok with 82 degree temps i want my room to stay 78-80 all year round with no ac help. 3 600 watters in a 10x8 room with no cool tubes gets pretty hot.. trust me i have done it already thats why i went cool tube it took my room from 82-83 down to a comfortable average of 79 nothing over 80. also like i stated available space is limited in my 10x8 room thats why i use cool tubes i can get the plants closer to the light.. your tent will have the same issues. Also rember that once you go vetical the ceiling is open.. i have cool tubes and ducting running above the grow and it NEVER gets in my way i use the same yoyo style hangers to move my lights up and down just like everyone else

all im saying is that two 600's in a tent your size may get hot with 400 cfm pulling you might be ok. My who room has about 750 cfm so who knows. qhuess the best you can do is decide how you want to grow them run them with out the tubes first and monitor temps and go from there. trial and error my friend trial and error.

have you decided on a style yet?

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran

this cracks me up. vert setups with multiple lights in a tent will need cool tubes, unless air conditioning is used. you cant just place a fan on the bottom of the tent and blow the hot air up and think everything is going to be fine, all the plants in the middle will be windburned.
i think you should take a good look at all the vert setups on icmag and get a good idea of what needs to be done before you setup your spot with what you think should be done.....

this cracks me up. vert setups with multiple lights in a tent will need cool tubes, unless air conditioning is used. you cant just place a fan on the bottom of the tent and blow the hot air up and think everything is going to be fine, all the plants in the middle will be windburned.
i think you should take a good look at all the vert setups on icmag and get a good idea of what needs to be done before you setup your spot with what you think should be done.....

i agree

medmaker420

Veteran

tell me the difference between 2 600's in a tent horizontal being ok and vert all of a sudden needs extra air conditioning?

If the air exchange is fine and the ambient temps OUTSIDE the tent are fine then why would there be an issue and a NEED for cool tubes?

I have looked through a ton of setups and most seem to be in the "testing" phase and is exactly what I am trying to do as well. Not sure why so many think they know how things should be done based on OTHER PEOPLES efforts.

I am not going to have anything in the middle and I think the wind burn thoughts will be just fine. It hasn't been an issue when playing with 1k's or 2 600's in this same size tent that I have setup for my brother either. A 4x4x6.5 is actually a pretty decent sized tent and I think 1200w will take effort making sure the temps are fine (once again ambient outside the tent is all that matters) BUT a single 600 vert for this run isn't going to cause any hassles that I can see especially since the temps are doing just fine with the 600 horizontal.

Either way great thoughts for sure, I just see more hassle with the cool tubes in middle versus bare bulb and simply exchanging the air out the top.

medmaker420

Veteran
Vegging My Girls

Vegging My Girls

Here they are vegging right now just trying to let em get a bit larger.

attachment.php

Once I get them in the vertical flower tent I will get some pics as well and toss them up. The fun thing about testing is actually trying different things based on PERSONAL experience versus taking the word of 3rd party thoughts and ideas.

I hope vert pays off though, I will be building cabinets with the exhaust right in the center of the top of the cab with a 400+ cfm inline/scrubber on the top. Nice and simple air flow exchange I would think and testing in tents seems the simplest way since I have a few laying around anyways lol.

Attachments

• medmaker420.jpg
    medmaker420.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 19

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
tell me the difference between 2 600's in a tent horizontal being ok and vert all of a sudden needs extra air conditioning?

If the air exchange is fine and the ambient temps OUTSIDE the tent are fine then why would there be an issue and a NEED for cool tubes?

I have looked through a ton of setups and most seem to be in the "testing" phase and is exactly what I am trying to do as well. Not sure why so many think they know how things should be done based on OTHER PEOPLES efforts.

I am not going to have anything in the middle and I think the wind burn thoughts will be just fine. It hasn't been an issue when playing with 1k's or 2 600's in this same size tent that I have setup for my brother either. A 4x4x6.5 is actually a pretty decent sized tent and I think 1200w will take effort making sure the temps are fine (once again ambient outside the tent is all that matters) BUT a single 600 vert for this run isn't going to cause any hassles that I can see especially since the temps are doing just fine with the 600 horizontal.

Either way great thoughts for sure, I just see more hassle with the cool tubes in middle versus bare bulb and simply exchanging the air out the top.

the difference between 2 600's in a hood and two 600's open bulb, vert style is significant. in a hood, they are already at the top of the tent and heat rises. open bulb vertical, the plants are much closer to the open bulb in a very confined space, pretty common knowledge, you should of figured that one out easily.

how is the air exchange going to be fine all of a sudden? do you know that for sure? or just figuring it will work, without trying it?

if you have looked at tons of setups, then you should of seen several of mine. im pretty sure how verts are done based on MY experience, not others. im trying to help you here.

wind burn hasent been an issue in your tent because your still running hoods. switch to vert and put that fan on the floor, all your buds will most likely be burnt with wind or heat. wind burn is a bitch when doing vert setups. all my fans are mounted 6" off of the ceiling, pointing up, to illuminate wind burn.

all of a sudden a single 600? you've been saying your running multiple 600's this thread. which one is it? if you look at my first post closely, i said if you run multiple lights in a tent, you will need cool tubes. with one, :jerkit:

wickedpete66

With an air cooled hood my 1000wt stays about 4* above ambient in my hydrohut mini. Using an open 600watt bare bulb vertical. the temps shot to 15* above ambient. to go vertical i needed to get a cool tube.

medmaker420

Veteran
the difference between 2 600's in a hood and two 600's open bulb, vert style is significant. in a hood, they are already at the top of the tent and heat rises. open bulb vertical, the plants are much closer to the open bulb in a very confined space, pretty common knowledge, you should of figured that one out easily.

how is the air exchange going to be fine all of a sudden? do you know that for sure? or just figuring it will work, without trying it?

if you have looked at tons of setups, then you should of seen several of mine. im pretty sure how verts are done based on MY experience, not others. im trying to help you here.

wind burn hasent been an issue in your tent because your still running hoods. switch to vert and put that fan on the floor, all your buds will most likely be burnt with wind or heat. wind burn is a bitch when doing vert setups. all my fans are mounted 6" off of the ceiling, pointing up, to illuminate wind burn.

all of a sudden a single 600? you've been saying your running multiple 600's this thread. which one is it? if you look at my first post closely, i said if you run multiple lights in a tent, you will need cool tubes. with one, :jerkit:

Read my posts from top to bottom it CLEARLY states I am going with a single 600 this first vertical run then going to run a 1200w tent versus 2 600w tents just to see what ends up working best for me.

This one as I keep saying IS a single 600w vertical run.

On the wind burn, if it ends up being an issue then I will address it no problem. Not a big deal, just another possible and nothing more.

I am more after the testing of this versus trying to setup exactly like everyone else. I thought that was somewhat clear, odds are it wasn't lol.

If I need tubes then I will pull them out of the closet and set them up. I am trying to set this up so I can hang bare bulbs on yoyo hangers in hopes of all going well. I will end up finding out if it works or not. If it doesn't then I need to tweak the setup and if it does then I will be more than happy.

medmaker420

Veteran
With an air cooled hood my 1000wt stays about 4* above ambient in my hydrohut mini. Using an open 600watt bare bulb vertical. the temps shot to 15* above ambient. to go vertical i needed to get a cool tube.

I will see how it works out, I am using the season to my advantage though with the colder temps BUT will end up seeing what works best. I have ran bare bulb from the top of canopies before and didn't see a huge change, I just up'd the speed controller on my fan and made sure the intake air was sufficient temp wise. I didn't see a huge hike in the temp myself.

If I end up needed to a/c the tents then I can pull the a/c unit out. Pretty much going from SIMPLISTIC as possible and adding as needed until I find that perfect combination that I am looking for.

aligee

Veteran
I run a 600w hps and a 400w mh w/ cooltube open end exhausting with a 6" vortex in a tent yield is outstanding bout 2.5 -3 oz per plant dried !using coco/ floranova in 3g grow bags temps are 80* or less depending on my room temps (got window ac in room ) gonna use 5gal square buckets from grainger this next run which is in progress now to try and gain another zip vertical is by far superior and I pass this info on every chance I get good luck I'll be watching ~aligee~!

Latest posts

Latest posts