What's new

producing chemical CO2 for your plants

underdogey

hi everybody, i was thinking about producing CO2 for my plants chemically, but i ran into a problem.

ive heard that baking soda and vinegar acid should produce CO2 and H2O and i can fairly comfirm that.
but here is the tricky part the baking powder contains another substance called Disodium dihydrogen diphosphate and im not sure if it will be left in the water or if it will be put in to gassious form and thereby dammage the plants or the outcome(the horror the horror)

anybody with a chemical education please help me out here

for the record the baking powder also contains maice cellulose

MMJcali

you can always try a 5 gal bucket with some sugar water and yeast...as the yeast metabolizes the sugar, CO2 is formed. every week just dump in more sugar, replacing the whole deal once or twice a month.

I've heard that doesn't really do much though, so...take it with a grain of salt.

mixing chemicals just sounds scary to me, IMO. I'd never let that near my garden.

Happy 7

Pure baking soda does not contain Disodium dihydrogen diphosphate nor maize cellulose, you have baking powder.
Considering that both are used in food (with acidic ingredients) one can conclude it's safe to use.
Or just go and buy pure baking soda...

supermanlives

Veteran
tried it when i was a kid . i did nothing but reek up the house with vinegar smell. i set up the vinegar to drip into a container with baking soda in it .

Forest20

ICmag's Official Black Guy
Veteran
This might help but I can not take credit for this....My friend gave me a link a while back... It works great and cheap as well...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Scrogerman

Veteran
warmth increases the reaction, id stick a heating matt under the ferment. Ive seen bubbler versions that look to work ok too.
it wont work very well cold!

Mmmmm, Hooch! no need to throw it away, gets you well pissed & tastes nice if you do it right!

Yeast and sugar works really well in a small fairly sealed room .THE best thing is it cheap but without a co2 meter you realy don't know where you stand as regards to ppm a basement grow can have alot more co2 present then a atic . co2 drops to lowest point in the room or house my basements average 500 to 650 ppm without any co2 enrichement so fermentation is good for me if I had a garden .:blowbubbles:

underdogey

i will try the "yeast" method, but for now ive found my old soda stream machine and added some tubing, 15 minutes a day i turn off the vent and co2minate my plants. i hope this have an effect, other than me getting dissy.

the yeast project will be next month and i will upload pics : )

thx for all the replys...