What's new

problems with "new" clonex and uts rooting

DoomsDay

Cheap powdery shit all day long. I still have a full bottle of that clones garbage someone could straight up have. Overpriced crap that jn the end doesn't do any better than the 3 dollar huge ass container of rooting powder I picked up at true value. Single container has lasted 2 years so far and I clone 2 times a month at about 100 or so a pop.

N

NewAgeGenetics

my clonex gel is yellow, is it too old or what could happen?

or is it normal?

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey New age,,
We are away at the moment and when we get back I have a look at mine and get back to you,,,,,,s2

Blazeee

Veteran
my clonex gel is yellow, is it too old or what could happen?

or is it normal?

Check side of the bottle for best before date. Up until a few months ago I was using a bottle that wasover a year and a half out of date. I think yours has gone off, just checked mine and it's supposed to be purple. I had heard they changed the recipe in clonex recently and took something out of it, I don't know about others but I noticed changes with my cuts not rooting as well / vigorously.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
On a side note, I decided to do a side by side comparison using clonex, alow vera powder, and nothing to see how each performed and to compare and contrast. My clonex is running low and if I can get away without having to buy more that's the goal. I've been hearing good things about using just aloe and I wanted to see for myself. Just started it last night so I should have a good idea here in 2 weeks :good:

Blazeee

Veteran
I'm pretty sure I've seen a tutorial on the buildasoil website for cloning with aloe Vera, will be interesting to hear your results. I recently tried taking clones using xtreme gardening Azos, it worked, but took a little bit longer than the ones in clonex

Also just to clarify when i said they changed the formula in the clonex, I thik this may have been just for the UK, im not sure though. Lads in my local shop told me about the change, did some research online, all I could find was this one quote on an ebay listing.

Please note 300ML Clonex is currently illegal and unavailable until the formula has been changed. We will keep you updated. (50ML Bottle has been changed and approved)

This quote was from an ebay listing, search Google for 'clonex formula changed uk' and it's the 3rd link.

N

NewAgeGenetics

GrowthTechnology said:
Thanks for your enquiry.

From the details you provided, it looks like the Use By Date for your bottle of Clones was January 2015, so we could not guarantee that you would have success when using this bottle. A yellow/grey (as opposed to purple) color is a clear indication that the hormone has broken down and the product should not be used. I understand that you purchased this bottle while in Hungry last year, but sometimes retailers have old stock as they do not rotate the product properly. If possible I would try to purchase another bottle of Clonex that is within the Use By Date which will give you the usual success rate that you accustom to with this product.

I hope this has been helpful, please let me know if you need any further information.

Many thanks
Ken

the answer... yellow is crap.

Floridian

Veteran
Tried clonex,Olivias and other expensive compounds.For me,the cheap powder available at Lowes,Home depot,True value,wally mart,they all worked better than clonex or Olivias.Another vote for cheap powers!

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Clonex is the best commercial agent I have tried, but a 5L bottle of horticultural liquid you had to water down 7 to 1 was the best of all

Worth mentioning, you should be decanting the liquid you use, not just sticking your root stem straight in the Clonex pot.. you are contaminating it and shortening it's life. Same goes for everything else with chemicals, pour out what you are going to use, take from that.

packerfan79

Veteran
I wouldn't call clonex commercial. Weed specific stuff is rarely up to par and the markup is insane. No professional botanist or horticulturist is going to use clonex, Olivia's or any other crap we pay outrageous prices for.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
On a side note, I decided to do a side by side comparison using clonex, alow vera powder, and nothing to see how each performed and to compare and contrast. My clonex is running low and if I can get away without having to buy more that's the goal. I've been hearing good things about using just aloe and I wanted to see for myself. Just started it last night so I should have a good idea here in 2 weeks :good:

And here are the cuts that I spoke of in the earlier picture. These were put in cubes yesterday, 3/16. As of yesterday they had been sitting in the jar in the fridge since 2/27 so that makes them 17 days old.

Don't mind the following cut and paste from IG picture.

Trying out some new clone tech with the fridgetech clones and some Dank Zappa fresh cuts. First picture are some bruised stems from where the pipe cleaners were twisted around them. The control is just a straight cut in the cube, other is aloe vera powder from @buildasoil, and then clonex. Fridgetech clones had the stems left alone from original cut. Clones were taken using only trim scissors and no razor. I only am trying one of each with each strain so not the best selection data wise but we'll see. Dank Zappa cuts will be control against regular method versus fridgetech as they were cut from plant and put in cubes. The cubes I got this time had smaller holes too so I tried to get them in there without rubbing off the aloe and clonex off.

Bruised Stems
picture.php

Nothing
picture.php

Clonex
picture.php

Aloe Vera powder
picture.php

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Not to bash Clonex or other "cannabis" cloning products--but sometimes you gotta think like a farmer and less like a "cannabis" grower.

My "what would a farmer do" journey led me to a simple liquid concentrate product called Hormex used by horticulturist and other professionals.

Active ingredients:
1-Napthaleneacetic Acid 0.24%
3-Indolebutyric Acid 0.013%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine Hydrochloride) 0.25%

Clonex's ONLY active ingredient:
3-Indolebutyric Acid 0.31%

Usage: Dip cutting in full strength Hormex for 1 minute (no powders, no gel) before inserting in root cube. I am able to transplant from cubes to cups in about 10-12 days.

Quart of Hormex is about $32 on Amazon--compare that to a quart of Clonex Rooting Gel ($125????...lol). https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A2YJ0KU/ref=sr_ph_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489842671&sr=sr-1&keywords=hormex

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
I wouldn't call clonex commercial. Weed specific stuff is rarely up to par and the markup is insane. No professional botanist or horticulturist is going to use clonex, Olivia's or any other crap we pay outrageous prices for.

I didn't... by commercial I mean a brand sold in a growshop... not professional/horticultural

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
And here are the cuts that I spoke of in the earlier picture. These were put in cubes yesterday, 3/16. As of yesterday they had been sitting in the jar in the fridge since 2/27 so that makes them 17 days old.

Don't mind the following cut and paste from IG picture.

Trying out some new clone tech with the fridgetech clones and some Dank Zappa fresh cuts. First picture are some bruised stems from where the pipe cleaners were twisted around them. The control is just a straight cut in the cube, other is aloe vera powder from @buildasoil, and then clonex. Fridgetech clones had the stems left alone from original cut. Clones were taken using only trim scissors and no razor. I only am trying one of each with each strain so not the best selection data wise but we'll see. Dank Zappa cuts will be control against regular method versus fridgetech as they were cut from plant and put in cubes. The cubes I got this time had smaller holes too so I tried to get them in there without rubbing off the aloe and clonex off.

Bruised Stems
View Image

Nothing
View Image

Clonex
View Image

Aloe Vera powder
View Image
You put too much clonex on.. It's much better if it's on the cut but no doused in it. You don't need a big globual of it. It may actually stop them rooting.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
You put too much clonex on.. It's much better if it's on the cut but no doused in it. You don't need a big globual of it. It may actually stop them rooting.

I hear you, hasn't been a problem in the past too much. I was sticking the whole stem in the bottle so was just dunking them. I never do that either as I don't want to contaminate the bottle but it was running low and I don't care too much as I would rather quit using it. Thanks for looking out :good:

Andyo

Veteran
synonym and 3-Indolyl)butyric acid

synonym and 3-Indolyl)butyric acid

I'm pretty sure I've seen a tutorial on the buildasoil website for cloning with aloe Vera, will be interesting to hear your results. I recently tried taking clones using xtreme gardening Azos, it worked, but took a little bit longer than the ones in clonex

Also just to clarify when i said they changed the formula in the clonex, I thik this may have been just for the UK, im not sure though. Lads in my local shop told me about the change, did some research online, all I could find was this one quote on an ebay listing.

This quote was from an ebay listing, search Google for 'clonex formula changed uk' and it's the 3rd link.

clonex lists 4-indole-3-ylbutric acid its just a synonym of
Indole-3-butyric acid

Id say thats being banned for sale to public.
commercial chrysanthemum growers use Rhizopon 0.25% Indole-3-butyric acid.
I use it .A

Floridian

Veteran
I believe it's the indole- 3-butyric acid that makes the 5 dollar stuff at local home improvement and gardening centers so effective,I found it to be so much better than clonex or Olivia's products.I have only used the powder though,It's really fast and super effective for multi-roots coming out of the cube

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
My post in a different thread--yep, I dip cut stem for 60 seconds in full strength Hormex before going into pre-moistened ProMix BX--

OK...fresh off the press!

Here is a cutting I snipped on 3/25 from a plant top, and after trimming the leaves and making the 45 degree cut, the stem soaked in water for 2 days (cfl light on 24 hours) in a tray just like the one you see in the background.

picture.php

On 3/27 the stem was dipped in full strength Hormex for exactly 60 seconds before being inserted in about 1 1/2 ounce (volume) of pre-moistened ProMix BX inside a 2" net cup, and then placed in a tray under a humidity dome (T5 lights, 22/2).

This morning is April 4th, and marks the 10th day since it was snipped and 8 days since since the stem was placed in ProMix Bx. It should be ready to transplant in a few days.

This type of rapid progress for cuttings is normal in my garden--not the exception. Oh yeah, I do add a pinch of CalPhos to the ProMix before it is pre-moistened.

BTW, she was transplanted today, which is 11 days since being snipped--and that includes the 2 day water soak.

zoo

I recently bought a tiny bottle of clonex (uk)

Got roots in 4-5 days in aero cloner. Always had good success with clonex

Latest posts

Latest posts